Smaller gig kits

This is a topic near and dear to me. Ten or so years ago, I saw the mighty Sinclair Lott playing with someone on the Craig Ferguson Show. He was using an old suitcase for a bass drum, and it sounded fantastic. I messaged him immediately about it and he shared that it was just a regular old Samsonite with a sandbag in it to keep it in place. The sound crew on the set mic’d it up normally.

Since then, I’ve been fascinated with the smaller gig kit concept and have put together many versions. It’s a practical thing, as many of the venues I play normally don’t allow drums. They totally hear with their eyes, and a normal drum set is frightening… “OMG, that looks so loud!” Blah blah blah.

Here are some of the small kits I’ve put together in chronological order up to my latest and greatest. I’ve put together many more than this but these were some of the more interesting ones.
0582929E-7A6A-4C09-BA77-C10A5A1AE113.jpeg

Last edited:
I grabbed a new Catalina club- mahogany. Absolutely loved the wrap ( not a wrap guy) and they sound like Gretsch. I’m waiting on a 16x16 on a custom order as it’s not available as an add on . Honestly, these are very capable drums, and, I see this as more of a lightweight medium size kit after it’s 1 up 2 down. It’s available with 18 bass and a 10” tom. I prowould have ordered it without the snare if I knew it was an option, however the snare was a most pleasant surprise as it growled right out of the box.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 14
This is a topic near and dear to me. Ten or so years ago, I saw the mighty Sinclair Lott playing with someone on the Craig Ferguson Show. He was using an old suitcase for a bass drum, and it sounded fantastic. I messaged him immediately about it and he shared that it was just a regular old Samsonite with a sandbag in it to keep it in place. The sound crew on the set mic’d it up normally.

Since then, I’ve been fascinated with the smaller gig kit concept and have put together many versions. It’s a practical thing, as many of the venues I play normally don’t allow drums. They totally hear with their eyes, and a normal drum set is frightening… “OMG, that looks so loud!” Blah blah blah.

Here are some of the small kits I’ve put together in chronological order up to my latest and greatest. I’ve put together many more than this but these were some of the more interesting ones.
The black and natural DW combination is inspired. Great looking kit.

I grabbed a new Catalina club- mahogany. Absolutely loved the wrap ( not a wrap guy) and they sound like Gretsch. I’m waiting on a 16x16 on a custom order as it’s not available as an add on . Honestly, these are very capable drums, and, I see this as more of a lightweight medium size kit after it’s 1 up 2 down. It’s available with 18 bass and a 10” tom. I prowould have ordered it without the snare if I knew it was an option, however the snare was a most pleasant surprise as it growled right out of the box.
I remember you from a thread a few weeks ago. So good. You decided to get the 16 floor after all. I think you'll be glad you did. Life is short. haha I myself just pulled the ripcord on an 18 floor tom add on for my PDP concept maple. Only problem with my situation is I have to wait SIX MONTHS for it to be made/shipped. 😠 🔫

I guess I'm lucky to never play anywhere where my Renowns can't go. If a 20x16 bass drum is too big for the place, I don't want to play there.

I have a DW 5000 sidekick pedal that turns my floor tom into a bass/floor tom cocktail style . I will still take a rack and snare . Makes it a very small footprint and really doesn’t suffer sound wise . It is fun and unique .

I have a 20 x 12 bass drum for the small gigs. I have a 20 x 14 as well. That to me is the smallest I go. I don't get on well with 18's. I have to work too hard to get a barely passable tone, and I'm not a jazz guy, so 20 is the smallest I'll go.

I use a 22 x 14 kick on my smaller gigs. When it comes to kick drums on smaller gigs, a smaller drum doesn't always mean less volume. I'm pretty sure there would be more room on stage with a 24 x 14 kick as opposed to a 20 x 20 because it's more about depth than height.

These days, if I can't play a gig with a 22 x 14 kick, I probably shouldn't be playing the gig anyways.

I use a 22 x 14 kick on my smaller gigs. When it comes to kick drums on smaller gigs, a smaller drum doesn't always mean less volume. I'm pretty sure there would be more room on stage with a 24 x 14 kick as opposed to a 20 x 20 because it's more about depth than height.

These days, if I can't play a gig with a 22 x 14 kick, I probably shouldn't be playing the gig anyways.
I don’t think it has to do with “bigger” or “smaller” gigs. It has more to do with, “Do I want to have THIS sound for this show?” Or, sometimes, it has to do with how the kit comes across in a particular venue.

Ryan,
I think you hit the nail on the head. I purchased my own drum set a few months ago. During my research for lower end drum sets I came across these "pancake" drum sets that you have listed for smaller gigs. I did not buy one since I wanted a full size drum set, but the concept for gig drummers is appealing. The drums all fit in one bag and off you go for the gig.

Ryan,
I think you hit the nail on the head. I purchased my own drum set a few months ago. During my research for lower end drum sets I came across these "pancake" drum sets that you have listed for smaller gigs. I did not buy one since I wanted a full size drum set, but the concept for gig drummers is appealing. The drums all fit in one bag and off you go for the gig.

My entire reason for putting together these rigs in the beginning was to gain access to venues I'd normally never get to play. The suitcases were so much less intimidating than a 22" bass drum, for example. The venue owners/managers had no idea I was miking the suitcase up and pumping it through FOH at easily the same volume as a normal bass drum. After several years, I had established my reputation at these venues as the "quiet drummer guy" and began bringing "normal" drums.

My latest and greatest small venue rig is the black DW drums in 10x20 bass drum, 10x16 floor tom/snare drum thingy + whatever snare I bring. The 10" deep bass drum allows me a smaller footprint but has all the feel and response of a normal 20" diameter bass drum, whereas the suitcases and pancake drums (both the Purecussion set and the DW pancake) suffered from feel issues. Glad to have found the right setup for the uber small venue gigs and going through the process was quite fun and educational. Here's another pic of the latest and greatest rig.

IMG_2466.jpeg

063767F2-2F7C-4DCE-95B0-FC4B03057899.jpeg

I did 50+ gigs with this configuration last year..
18 + snare, 16” cymbal, hi-hat and djembe.

The 18” bass comes from a Yamaha Rydeen bop kit: 10, 13, 18 which I stripped down, stained and lacquered.

There's a member here - Wonder1, who IMO, is a bit of a creative genius when it comes to making small kits.
Probably have to dig thru some stuff, but I've seen many fine innovations from him.

(scroll down on this one^^^^)

There's more too. (y)

Last edited:
Weight and a smaller footprint led me to an INDe WaFarer aluminum kit. Shallower depths, also available with maple shells. Kind of sits in the “Goldilocks” zone…not too big, not too small. Sounds and responds like a full sized kit when you lean into it, switch to smaller sticks and maybe a fluffy kick beater and you can do the lower volume thing.

Another cool thing about the INDe stuff is that most of their product line is available “a la carte”…drums can be purchased individually.

WaFarer in 22x10, 13x6, 16x10...

20x10, 12x6, 15x10…

18x10, 10x6, 14x10…

If those aren’t small enough for you look into INDe’s Timba Toms/Timba Kick. Very small footprint.

Back