Small quiet-ish home setup?

Thanks, so the attraction of this for me then is:

1) virtually silent kick (when compared to my bass drum pedal whacking a rubber pad) to hook up to my TD9

2) can use with band to give extra sound options, like cowbell, clap, jingles etc, as can be played with sticks

Downside:

1) the feel of it will be absolutely nothing like a pedal. Even the Roland KT9 looks like it will be better on this front (minus the beater of course)

2) the cost, these are not cheap at approx £200 UK

1. Virtually silent - use any beaterless as above.
2. Add another pad to your TD9 and put a cowbell sound on it! :)

--
1. indeed.
2, £200? Get you 5 x KU100 (bought my last, boxed, for about £20 off the 'Bay) !.

--

I'll always suggest a TM-2 plus up to four pads if you want an extra noise maker thing over any SPD-ONE model. Cheaper and much more flexible.

Yeah, I was hoping I could use an e-kit to practice my acoustic stuff. Everything works well enough - except the high-hat. The electronic hats I've tried are so slow and unresponsive they weren't practical. So now I practice on an acoustic kit with brushes, but that's still kinda loud - and eats up a lot of floor space.
Were they all pedals or did you try ones on a stand, too? What kit? It also depends on module (or vst) capabilities, if it only has open/closed /and maybe half sound, it won't be the same as a continuous one with several in-between samples. If I bring up a hi-hat in Superior Drummer, it offers 27 articulations for it (all separate sound samples with multiple variations), but of course you can only use as many as you can trigger based on your kit. But even if it's just a basic open-closed module, having a stand mounted one can improve the feel, or at least it did for me. It takes up space tho.

*Any* beaterless kick will work. All just £€$0.50 piezos and a bit of rubber. KT9, KT10, KU100, FatKat etc...

Or get a Triggera Krigg as per the videos above --^ and use your acoustic pedal.

If you know how to solder, you can just attach a cable connector to a piezo and tap it with your foot.
About 2 or 3 bucks and you're good to go on your DIY path.
No pedal or pad needed.

Were they all pedals or did you try ones on a stand, too? What kit?
I owned a DTX and tried Alexis and Roland kits. They all used pedals with a single pad. At that time, the pads that opened and closed like real high-hats were worse than single pads, though that might have been the fault of the controllers, not the pads. I got to try out a Roland kit that cost about $8,000 at the time, and even it had high-hats that sucked. That was some years ago, though.

What kit has hats that are "continuous"?

If I could find a kit with a high-hat that worked reasonably well, I might give e-drums another try.

I owned a DTX and tried Alexis and Roland kits. They all used pedals with a single pad. At that time, the pads that opened and closed like real high-hats were worse than single pads, though that might have been the fault of the controllers, not the pads. I got to try out a Roland kit that cost about $8,000 at the time, and even it had high-hats that sucked. That was some years ago, though.

What kit has hats that are "continuous"?

If I could find a kit with a high-hat that worked reasonably well, I might give e-drums another try.
I don't really have a list in my head, but would search around higher-end kits, I'm sure they have improved a bit since. Plus there is the new Roland digital hi-hat VH-14D. Even if the pedal is continuous (not just a switch), results depend on the amount of samples the sound module can provide. I use an Alesis Strike module with a (stand mounted) Goedrum controller. The module has a separate bow, edge and pedal sound, and most samples have closed, open and 3 different semi-open sounds defined. With the stand+controller it's a lot easier to find and play a middle position, which was 90% impossible with the stock pedal of my original Surge kit which had a 1mm range for half open (and even the open/close bits felt kinda late). The Strike also sends a 0-127 pedal CC value over midi, which in e.g. Superior Drummer can be mapped to several more ranges (closed, tight, open 1-6) due to the much larger sample collection of a VST. Roland hi-hats like VH11 etc. also work similarly and are a popular choice. All this can still be very far from what you experience using a real one, but I'm sure they got better in recent years.

If you know how to solder, you can just attach a cable connector to a piezo and tap it with your foot.
About 2 or 3 bucks and you're good to go on your DIY path.
No pedal or pad needed.
They don't call you Wildbill for nothing!

I also own a Multi-12 and a couple of external pads, plus hi-hat and kick pedals. I thought I'd try the same thing to play at home and do some recording. The experience was terrible. It feels nothing like a real kit to play or listen to, it's super awkward and uncomfortable to play, and the net effect is demoralizing to me. YMMV, but I just packed it up and put it back in storage for my next theater gig.

Just play your acoustic kit super quiet. A small 16 in kick helps with the annoying traveling thump. I do it everyday since my neighbor is still working from home and complained with I was using my 24 in bass drum.

Sourced one (DTX Multi 12) finally. Hard to track down lately, it seems. On its way - will update in a while, cheers.

Clamp got - they attach to basically any stand, right

Now onto getting HH and kick pedals. Conflicting information, even in this thread ...

Okay, so what is the best playing kick pedal, that doesn’t cost a fortune? With a good range of velocity. High sensitivity? Whatever it’s called.

And the HH65 is okay for playability and so on, yeah?

edit: Got a stand. Waiting for that to be delivered. Bit by bit, getting there...

Last edited:
Okay, now for software. Is Superior Drummer going to work with this setup? Or should I buy something else instead?

And, last question for this thread - hoping for an answer to this one, as it’s important ...

I bought the mount for the BopPad, but it doesn’t attach to the cymbal stand I have. Wrong thread, it would seem. What kind of stand do I need?

And, last question for this thread - hoping for an answer to this one, as it’s important ...

I bought the mount for the BopPad, but it doesn’t attach to the cymbal stand I have. Wrong thread, it would seem. What kind of stand do I need?

Anything with an M8 thread.

If worst comes to worst you could take it into a local big box hardware store, I'm sure there is an adapter or two that could make that pad fit your current stand.

Back