Small hardware bag for lighter weight hardware-Inexpensive Option

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I find most hardware bags to be too long and/or bulky to handle comfortably. Also, they are usually fairly expensive too. I have come across a solution for a lighter weight hardware bag that works great: A small keyboard bag!

I use this bag, which is made for a small, 49 key keyboard. It's dimensions are 35.5" L x 12.75" W, 5" H. It's also very well padded and well made, has an nice sized outer pocket and backpack straps:

This is a good size to hold and carry. It's similar to the size of the bags that come with the lightweight hardware packs like the DW Ultralight, Yamaha Crosstown or the Tama Classic. Most of those bags are only 25" or 26" long, but are otherwise roughly the same. Having the extra 10" or so of length allows you to fit a pedal, throne base, throne top, stick bag and some accessories. I really like mine, and I got it at a very reasonable price; they go for about $45 brand new online. The Yamaha Crosstown bag and the DW Ultralight bag don't have any exterior pockets, which is kind of lame. I love the exterior pocket on this keyboard bag!

Just wanted to share this tip with you all. It works great for me, and although you can't fit a ton inside it, and it's obviously not meant for a super heavy load, it will work very well if you have lightweight, vintage or flat based hardware. Just to give you an idea of the capacity, I use mine for 4 Yamaha Crosstown Cymbal Stands, a Yamaha Crosstown Hi-Hat Stand, Yamaha Crosstown Snare Stand along with a (foldable) Yamaha strap drive pedal, lightweight throne base (Mapex Rebel), throne top, floor tom legs, tom arm, small stick bag and a few small accessories, which I utilize the large front pocket for.. It's full but is still holds everything I need.

V

Last edited:
I've been using their speaker stand bag https://on-stage.com/products/view/35543/117548 for 6 or 7 years, and they're cheap at $42 at Sam Ash (they used to be $33!!)

I've got Ludwig 1400 cymbal stands & 1355 snare stand, Yamaha crosstown hat, throne base & ft legs. A perfect fit, and about as light as it can be.

Bermuda

Those are two awesome suggestions. I’m in the market for a light hardware bag, so I’ll look into both of these. Thanks!

Those are two awesome suggestions. I’m in the market for a light hardware bag, so I’ll look into both of these. Thanks!

The stand bag is 48" compared to the keyboard bag's 36". For me, that means I don't have to break down any stands - cymbal & HH stands stay assembled, just fold/unfold the legs and I'm all set. :)

Bermuda

I've been using their speaker stand bag https://on-stage.com/products/view/35543/117548 for 6 or 7 years, and they're cheap at $42 at Sam Ash (they used to be $33!!)

I've got Ludwig 1400 cymbal stands & 1355 snare stand, Yamaha crosstown hat, throne base & ft legs. A perfect fit, and about as light as it can be.

Bermuda

I just received this bag. Thank you so much for the tip.

I really needed one more bag. I have all my shells and 2/3 of my hardware in bags, but I still had two stands that I had to walk in without a bag. I didn't want to spend 100 bucks for a bag. This one is Perfect. Long, light, and strong. Many thanks, Bermuda.

I just received this bag. Thank you so much for the tip.

I really needed one more bag. I have all my shells and 2/3 of my hardware in bags, but I still had two stands that I had to walk in without a bag. I didn't want to spend 100 bucks for a bag. This one is Perfect. Long, light, and strong. Many thanks, Bermuda.

You're welcome!

You can expect that to last 7 or 8 years if you abuse it (if you occasionally drag it on the ground like I've done) and much longer if you take a little care. I'm still using mine anyway with a small hole on the bottom. :)

Bermuda

How about something light....with wheels?

Right? Even if it is a lightweight bag, beings that there are no wheels, the drummer is still carrying the full weight of all the hardware. Completely defeats the purpose of a lightweight bag in my mind. A heavier bag with wheels makes more sense to me. Let the earth bear the weight of the hardware, and the bag for that matter. I just want to guide it and roll it, not carry all it's weight.

But if it works for you then great. Different strokes and all that.

Another nitpicky consideration.......I don't do bags that lay on the floor. I like the ones that have a frame and can stand up, like a golf club bag. Less footprint, easier access, no bending all the way over. I take up less room in a crowded pub trying to set up.

While on the subject, dontcha just love the musicians that load all their stuff right onto the (small) stage? Then it has to be moved once more because everything is in the way lol. There's a better way. I like setting up offstage and carrying it to the stage when it's ready. It's the considerate way to do it.

Last edited:
So....is there a lightweight (or even medium weight) hardware bag with wheels someone can recommend?

I can say that I bought and didn't like (at all) the Ahead Ogio hardware sled. (I had both sizes too. The large one was very unwieldy)

I had to lay it down to unzipper it all the way. It doesn't stay upright very well. It's not really made to stand up on it's own, but it can, provided the weight inside is balanced enough. No outside pockets. Really? It's not ergonomic at all IMO.

I have a Protechtor wheeled upright hardware bag (with outside pockets) that has done it for me for the last 10 years with no issues. I prefer that style, with the tubular frame that is designed to allow the bag to stand up solidly on it's own. (no leaning) It's ergonomic to operate.

I can say that I bought and didn't like (at all) the Ahead Ogio hardware sled. (I had both sizes too. The large one was very unwieldy)

Thanks for this. I swear by Ahead's cases for my drums and have been eyeing the Ogio bag but it just seems way over-engineered and over-priced. Like, why can't they have a hardware bag that's as elegant and simple as the ones they make for drums?

I've heard reports here of guys who like the Ogio bags. I try and steer people away from them as I ended up giving mine away because I hated them. I think they are horrid for their designed purpose. The sled part was the best thing about it for going down steps. But I didn't use the sled part all that much. The other aspects were all dealbreakers for me. No outside pockets, zippers go around 3 corners (had to lay it down) not balanced well, it doesn't stand up well. The wheels are like skateboard wheels. Not bad, I just prefer a bigger 5" wheel for going up curbs and steps. The large one...I didn't like the handle. It was too long and the bag would be almost horizontal behind me as I was pulling it by the handle. I ended up attaching some rope at a better place to pull it from and not using the handle. I shouldn't have to do that.

I like Aheads stuff too, but I myself could have designed a much better bag than what they are offering. I swear these engineers never test their product in real life. That's what it seems like. Maybe they do, but they must not understand what drummers want and need if this is their best effort at hardware bags.

Last edited:
How about something light....with wheels?
So....is there a lightweight (or even medium weight) hardware bag with wheels someone can recommend?

Since no one replied. . .I don't own one, but when I started searching for hardware bags or a wheeled cart, I ran across these on Ebay.

5 star reviews, didn't ready any though.

I've heard reports here of guys who like the Ogio bags.

I’m using the smallest one and it works great for me. I can pack it with 3 cymbal stands, hh stand, snare stand (all Canopus lightweights), 2 sets of FT legs, bass drum pedal and large Sonor throne. Stick bag and a few spares go nicely in the lid pocket. The whole thing loaded weighs 35lbs.

Attachments

• 2DC84F1A-11F3-419F-9A4C-09FEA53A0A49.jpeg
    2DC84F1A-11F3-419F-9A4C-09FEA53A0A49.jpeg
    933.9 KB · Views: 10
The stand bag is 48" compared to the keyboard bag's 36". For me, that means I don't have to break down any stands - cymbal & HH stands stay assembled, just fold/unfold the legs and I'm all set. :)

Bermuda

Bermuda, do you think it can handle 60-65lbs of gear? I'm using the SKB mid-sized case now and can get all of this gear in it plus my stick bag:
-DW 3000 lightweight double tom holder
-Yamaha 600 series hi hat stand
-3 DW ultra light boom stands
-Gibraltar lightweight double braced snare stand
-DW aluminum floor tom legs (3)
-Tama double pedal (old rolling glide model)
-Roc 'n Soc Nitro seat (top and base)
-stick holder
-tamborine

The case itself is about 15-20 and so gear case total weight is around 75-85lbs when it's all packed up.

I like the fact that it's compact and I can stack other gear on it on the Rock N Roller cart or in the truck. But I really miss not breaking down the hi-hat stand and the double tom holder. I keep thinking about going back to a longer bag rather than a hard (and heavier) case.

Back