Small hardware bag for lighter weight hardware-Inexpensive Option

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Like some folks, I've been rocking the On-Stage Stands bag mentioned above for a few years now and it's held up extremely well.

Lately my lower back has been through several bouts of overuse and I wanted to transition to something I don't have to bend over or crouch down to at the end of the night but can stand up on its own and still accommodate my DW lightweight hardware. I just purchased one of these today and will put it to use by next weekend's gigs. I like how it has separate compartments which will keep my stands from rubbing on each other too. A little pricey for what it is but it's all good in the name of "experimentation" :)

Last edited:

moxman

Silver Member
Wheeled bags/containers are good but if I need to move any distance to a gig I take my hand truck - lightweight and super strong. Removable handle.. can usually move the whole kit in 2 trips. Thank you Home Depot - made by Harper Trucks.. I think I paid about $80 for it years ago.
canvas1.png

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I only need 1 trip now for my whole kit (5 piece) using a rock and roller R6RT cart and an upright wheeled hardware bag.

I used to make 3 trips doing the pack mule thing. 1 trip now with the cart and hardware bag.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Any old fairly robust rolling duffle from Ross/TJ Maxx will work, depending how much / how heavy of crap you're going to put in it. I use the smallest rolling bag by Beato and it has held up for ~ 12-15 years. It's too small to collapse most stands, however-- I have to disassemble them, which I think actually makes for faster set up/tear down.

moxman

Silver Member
I only need 1 trip now for my whole kit (5 piece) using a rock and roller R6RT cart and an upright wheeled hardware bag.

I used to make 3 trips doing the pack mule thing. 1 trip now with the cart and hardware bag.
I remember now.. I do it in 2 trips - one for drums and another for hardware and other stuff. Your solution sounds pretty good - like a push-pull technique :)
The trolley I use holds up to 450 lbs and also used for moving furniture and heavy appliances..

Last edited:

moxman

Silver Member
I tried out the 50" long On-stage bag Saturday and it worked like charm..I'm using a so-called 'virgin' kick so I have 2 solid cymbals stands with Tama tom mounts on each stand.. Just flip up the spikes collapse the legs and slide into the bag. Nice!
I had to dolly my stuff up an elevator to a ball room and no way I could do it one trip. 2 trips was easy.. I used their dolley which was big.. But 2 full loads of stuff..

Load 1 - 5 piece kit 22,10,12,16,14," in PR cases.
Load 2 -1 suitcase sized hardware bag, cymbal bag, long hardware bag, large box case for kick pedal, mic / cables case, throne seat, stick bag, percussion bag for big lp cowbell, woodblock,tambourine etc, clothes bag.. Hihat stand
- and 'sometimes' I have to bring a drum rug - but even rolled up its a trip in itself.

To do that in one trip - Doing some calculations.. using the 50" R&R cart I could probably get it to just fit as long as the end handles are sturdy enough and don't bend.. also I'd have to stack my drums like a pyramid (maybe about 6' tall stacked) .. Do you use straps with clips on the cart to hold things together?

Last edited:

drumnut87

i know they're not to everyones tastes, but ive got the ahead OGIO sleds, both 28" and 38" for my various kits, and ive yet to encounter any problems with either of them, they hold all my stands great, can take a fair bit of punishment in & out of the pubs/clubs/venues week in/week out, and yet to encounter any issues with them, yes you have to lay them down to undo them, but as you do with the majority of hardware cases/bags, both of mine are full to capacity and stand up no issues......the only issue ive found is the weight of the full cases play havoc with my back and muscles in venues with stairs! XD

Mustion

In NYC, grocery carts like these are ubiquitous and I'm tempted to get one to use as a hardware bag. Has big wheels, a frame, and stands up. I do wonder if a bunch of stands flopping around inside will affect its center of gravity, and if the material would stand up to all that metal inside.

1580413441902.png