Small dent, would You still buy?

PaisteGuy

A friend of mine came across a locker (All Drum related items) for sale. Among the cymbals is an 18” Paiste Signature Fast Crash. He sent me a pic’ of it. Do any of You think this is worth buying? The dent is very small, and probably won’t develop into a crack, but that’s still possible. He’s asking 1/2 of new retail.

Attachments

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
That's a tough one. Is that specific size and model something you're already looking for, or are you just looking for "a deal?"

Personally, the bend would drive me crazy, and no matter what I'd eventually replace it with a cymbal that didn't have any issues. If you think you'd do the same then don't waste your money on a temporary cymbal; spend the money on something that could be a forever cymbal.

C.M. Jones

I'm with Winston on the "bend would drive me crazy" front. I like pristine equipment. I keep my cymbals unblemished and shiny, and I'd never be able to overlook a flaw I knew was present. One reason I don't buy used equipment is that I like knowing exactly how it's been treated, which is next to impossible unless I get it factory fresh.

It's your call, but your decision to post this thread suggests that you're uncomfortable with the purchase. If that's true, keep shopping.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Hard to tell from the photo you attached. At first glance it doesn't look bad but without closer exam there's no telling if it'll end up cracking. If you're into sledgehammer metal I'd advise against it. What is the price? I'm not sure what half of new retail is.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'd listen to it. If I liked it I think I can fix it, doesnt look too bad.

If you didnt think you could and it bothered you than no. I dont think it will crack either. Just my assessment from the one picture. Couldn't really say without having it in my hands.

PaisteGuy

I wish I had a better picture, but thats the only one he took. With the exception of a pair of 15” Giant Beat Hats that I bought used, but are in pristine condition, all of my cymbals are new. The three crashes I have are signature fast, full and precision. I also have a 602 China. I don’t ‘need’ another. In Canada, retail for an 18” signature crash is $480 plus 12%tax. ($537 new). The dent appears very small, and I have t yet seen it in person. I’m 50/50 on it.

TK-421

I wish I had a better picture, but thats the only one he took. With the exception of a pair of 15” Giant Beat Hats that I bought used, but are in pristine condition, all of my cymbals are new. The three crashes I have are signature fast, full and precision. I also have a 602 China. I don’t ‘need’ another. In Canada, retail for an 18” signature crash is $480 plus 12%tax. ($537 new). The dent appears very small, and I have t yet seen it in person. I’m 50/50 on it.
If you don't need it, then why are you even considering it?

Regardless, the ding looks very small. It personally wouldn't bother me, as long as I got a good deal on the cymbal. It's hard to tell for certain, but it doesn't seem like anything that would form a crack. But if you're the type of person for whom it would bother, then just move on.

Benthedrummer

Cymbals aren't designed to be bent/dented right?

Not even slightly.......

If it were up to me, avoid this sale, keep away from it and go buy new and "undented".

If you genuinely don't need the cymbal, put the cash in a jar......and don't buy it 😉

Last edited:

force3005

Silver Member
A friend of mine came across a locker (All Drum related items) for sale. Among the cymbals is an 18” Paiste Signature Fast Crash. He sent me a pic’ of it. Do any of You think this is worth buying? The dent is very small, and probably won’t develop into a crack, but that’s still possible. He’s asking 1/2 of new retail.
If the sound is what you are looking for then I would buy it. But only if it's what your looking for.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I'd offer $175....200 tops.

It wouldn't bother me a ton...but it would bother me. I'd overlook the bother for the right price but, for me, half of retail would not be that dividing line. If I didn't need it, and that particular size/weight cymbal wasn't on my wishlist, I wouldn't go above 1/3 of retail. At that point, I think I'd be pretty much nothing but happy.

beatdat

I’d pass on it. If no one buys it, ask to borrow it - if you like it after a few jams, make an offer.

wraub

It could be a useful noise maker.
I'd want to examine it in person and hear it before I likely would offer less than they're asking.

I like my tools to be undamaged... I'm okay with "worn from use" "tarnished with age" but "bent from bending" isn't high on my list of good cymbal things. ;)
YMMV, etc.

yammyfan

Timely thread. I just received a brand new Paiste 2002 Crash today and it has a tiny dent right on the edge. It sounds perfectly fine but the dent will drive me crazy eventually. I'll send it back unless I'm offered a substantial discount.

Peedy

Hmmm. I only play used and very old cymbals. And a couple have pretty good nicks, but that one seems to be creased more than it does dented. That would be a whole other level of damage. I'd pass on it.

iCe

I'd always send it back or it don't buy it. Too afraid that it would develop into a crack eventually.
I did have a used 18" 2002 Thin Crash for a while and the edges had a couple of dents (i guess previous owner(s) used Godzilla sized sticks), but it drove me nuts. I did sell it after i sold off my practice set (bunch of other cymbals as well).

Superman

Gold Member
Maybe it's me, I don't think 50% off retail for used cymbals is that uncommon. I buy a lot of used cymbals and generally pay around that without any dents or cracks. I'd pass.