Small Dent on Edge of New HI Hats

Scottie15

Hello all. Just scored a pair of 15" HHX Complex hats. They were listed as "mint". Hats came in today and they looked good, other than a small dent I noticed in the lip of the bottom hat. The top also has a smaller dent so I'd assume these hats were dropped during shipment. See the attached photos of the bottom hat dent.

What's the probability that these dents will affect the sonic integrity of these hats? Should I be concerned?

20200914_195522.jpg
20200914_194923.jpg
20200914_195737.jpg

MntnMan62

How well packed were they? If they were packed properly, the dents should may not have happened during shipping. Which means they weren't as mint as the seller suggested. But then it's your word against his. They are very small dents. One other thing to consider is that there are some hats that come with a scalloped edge which allows air to escape as the two cymbals come together and then apart as they are played. Those dents may actually aid in that process. I assume you have played them. How do they sound to you? I imagine the dents would have little if any impact on the sonic integrity. But you need to be happy.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi Scottie. If they sound good to ears, then keep playing them. If the two dents are going to bother you then try to send back. Remember, it's the sound of hats while not looking at them when playing.

C.M. Jones

A crack and a dent are two different flaws. While unsightly, a dent should pose no significant sonic failings. Only you can determine what you're willing to accept, however. Unless the damage was imposed amid shipping, the seller is either dishonest or in need of a dictionary. He has no comprehension of "mint."

P

Peedy

Hello all. Just scored a pair of 15" HHX Complex hats. They were listed as "mint". Hats came in today and they looked good, other than a small dent I noticed in the lip of the bottom hat. The top also has a smaller dent so I'd assume these hats were dropped during shipment. See the attached photos of the bottom hat dent.

What's the probability that these dents will affect the sonic integrity of these hats? Should I be concerned?

View attachment 95964
View attachment 95965
View attachment 95966
Hey Scottie. If you’re in So. Cal. and it bothers you that much, we can make it flat again. My church and tools, our masks and your time. If not, it’s fine as is.

Pete

johnwesley

Silver Member
Actually that could be a slight imperfection in the manufacturing process, but doesn't look to be anything of consequence. Assuming you purchased from a "third" party and NOT new from a store or distributor presents a dilemma. Had you purchased from an authorized dealer you could send the photos for documentation and should the area(s) get worse you'd have a case for manufacturer's defect. From what you say, the seller told you they are mint. You dispute that. Now it's a subjective issue that is not worth fighting about because it's your opinion against the seller's. Online sellers usually have a disclaimer about returns which implies they'll only accept returns if the item is not received as described. Now you again return to the issue of subjectivity. Long story short.....the "flaw" ain't big enough to affect sound, and chances are minimal that it will get noticeably worse over the next 10 years. Take a deep breath, mount the cymbal and enjoy playing it. STOP looking at the imperfection and enjoy.

Scottie15

How well packed were they? If they were packed properly, the dents should may not have happened during shipping. Which means they weren't as mint as the seller suggested. But then it's your word against his. They are very small dents. One other thing to consider is that there are some hats that come with a scalloped edge which allows air to escape as the two cymbals come together and then apart as they are played. Those dents may actually aid in that process. I assume you have played them. How do they sound to you? I imagine the dents would have little if any impact on the sonic integrity. But you need to be happy.
I believe they were in mint condition when he shipped them, however, they were shipped in a sorry cardboard box with a small alint of packing paper, and that's it. They were in the cymbal bag they come in, but other than that, they were packed pretty poorly. I was shocked when I got them.

But as I said, I got a very sweet deal on them.

Scottie15

Hi Scottie. If they sound good to ears, then keep playing them. If the two dents are going to bother you then try to send back. Remember, it's the sound of hats while not looking at them when playing.
Very true. To my ears, I think they sound just fine, but I only had a limited time playing them today.

Scottie15

A crack and a dent are two different flaws. While unsightly, a dent should pose no significant sonic failings. Only you can determine what you're willing to accept, however. Unless the damage was imposed amid shipping, the seller is either dishonest or in need of a dictionary. He has no comprehension of "mint."

Yea these are absolutely mint other than the dent, which I'm fairly certain came from shipping he cymbals in piss poor packaging.

It's from a music store in the Midwest, and I got the cymbals off of Reverb. He was asking for $500. I offered $375 and he immediately accepted. So I guess I can't be too bothered.

Scottie15

Hey Scottie. If you’re in So. Cal. and it bothers you that much, we can make it flat again. My church and tools, our masks and your time. If not, it’s fine as is.

Pete

Man that is a generous offer and I appreciate it. I'm actually up north in the Bay Area but that is incredibly thoughtful. Thank you Pete.

iCe

I think you have the reason right there why it was listed as 'mint'. Personally i stay away from cymbals with those dents out of fear that cracks develop. Having said that, i owned a previously owned/abuse Paiste 2002 18" Thin Crash which had multiple dents on the edge (guessing it was hit with a snooker cue instead of sticks) and although i didn't crack it did manage to make me feel wary playing it.

basset52

For what its worth - I bought a pair of Paiste 2002 Mediums a couple of years ago with small dent like yours in the top hat. The seller was explicit about the dent though , and the price reflected that. They play just fine - no noticable difference to the sound to me. I don't even think about the dent now.

mikyok

Platinum Member
That's nothing to worry about, looks like crap packaging and/or fragile translating into kick f*ck out of this box to postal workers.

On the plus side airlock is never going to be an issue!

Scottie15

I think you have the reason right there why it was listed as 'mint'. Personally i stay away from cymbals with those dents out of fear that cracks develop. Having said that, i owned a previously owned/abuse Paiste 2002 18" Thin Crash which had multiple dents on the edge (guessing it was hit with a snooker cue instead of sticks) and although i didn't crack it did manage to make me feel wary playing it.

Well he had photos and I did not see the dent on the cymbals at all. He packed them like absolute trash though, and it's apparent that the package was handled terribly and was probably dropped on the ground, which led to the dent.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Dont sweat it, that's nothing. I'll put a positive spin on it: your cymbals have a unique identification mark. Think of it like a tattoo. If someone steals your cymbals, you can identify them without a doubt.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I doubt that they were damaged in shipping. That small an imperfection would not translate through a cardboard box, no matter how badly it was packaged. Maybe a larger dent or crack, but not that tiny a blemish. Forget about it. Do as GruntersDad says and enjoy.

Scottie15

I doubt that they were damaged in shipping. That small an imperfection would not translate through a cardboard box, no matter how badly it was packaged. Maybe a larger dent or crack, but not that tiny a blemish. Forget about it. Do as GruntersDad says and enjoy.

I appreciate the peace of mind suggestion. Considering I won't find a deal like this anywhere else, I think I'll take your suggestion.