"Sludge"?

Magenta

Platinum Member
Heaven help me, I've just been approached by a chap looking for a drummer for his sludge band. I explained that I had no idea what sludge is but that if he could point me in a the right direction, I'd check it out. He did; I did. I scrolled my way through the Melvins "Bullhead" album.

Can't say I liked it, but in the interests of becoming a more-rounded musician and of having the opportunity to do stuff that I wouldn't normally, and because this chap evidently has a sense of humour, we're going to give it a go.

Doubt I'll get to wear the gold frock though ...

I can't believe I am even thinking of doing it. Haga!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Heaven help me, I've just been approached by a chap looking for a drummer for his sludge band. I explained that I had no idea what sludge is but that if he could point me in a the right direction, I'd check it out. He did; I did. I scrolled my way through the Melvins "Bullhead" album.

Can't say I liked it, but in the interests of becoming a more-rounded musician and of having the opportunity to do stuff that I wouldn't normally, and because this chap evidently has a sense of humour, we're going to give it a go.

Doubt I'll get to wear the gold frock though ...

I can't believe I am even thinking of doing it. Haga!
Madge you are a constant source of surprise. Bully for you for being as open-minded as you are. Madge in a sludge band. Who could have seen that coming? If it wasn't coming from you...I would not have believed it. No gold frocks for this band. Maybe dye your tongue black.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Madge you are a constant source of surprise.
Hey, tell me about it - I frighten myself sometimes!

What is HILARIOUS is that although we have a FB friend in common, this chap found me on Bandmix. I can't help wondering which part of "Blues, R&B, jazz, swing, lounge" made him think I might be worth a try :')

I can't even.

mikel

Platinum Member
What a star. Wear the gold frock, it may be thought so "Out there" you start a new Sludge fashon trend

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Run a Motorhead 45 on 33 & you're about there :)

Madge - embrace the challenge. I love playing stuff I wouldn't consider listening to in my car. In fact, I'm doing exactly that soon :) All is good!

SquadLeader

Gold Member
What is 'sludge' music

I know what 'slutch' is...I used to roll around in it as a kid (for the American or none-Northern England audience it's MUD)

STXBob

Gold Member
I think this is just about the awesomest thing in the history of ever.

Just don't take your Guru kit to shows. God knows what'll get thrown at/on them.

Magenta

Platinum Member
What a star.
That's jolly kind of you, but even I wouldn't go quite that far :)

ssssssssssssssssslow. :)
Oh - I might be in with a chance of managing that!

I love playing stuff I wouldn't consider listening to in my car. In fact, I'm doing exactly that soon :) All is good!
Ooh, are you?

I'm pinning my few hopes on the thought that it might be considerably more interesting to play than it is to listen to.

I know what 'slutch' is...I used to roll around in it as a kid (for the American or none-Northern England audience it's MUD)
That's a new one on me - never heard of slutch, but I do know sludge = mud.

If this sludge thing works, should I change my name to Mudge?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Sludge is essential the Melvins.

It's a sub-genre of grunge (some may say a it was a pre cursor) where the song tempos tend to slow, with de-tuned guitars, and a loud, heavy, punk-ish but slow feel.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I think this is just about the awesomest thing in the history of ever.

Just don't take your Guru kit to shows. God knows what'll get thrown at/on them.
Oh god what am I letting myself in for?

I think the chances of my lasting long enough to do a gig are remote ... but you never know. I'll have Mabel on standby if it's too dangerous for Marlene.

Sludge is essential the Melvins.

It's a sub-genre of grunge (some may say a it was a pre cursor) where the song tempos tend to slow, with de-tuned guitars, and a loud, heavy, punk-ish but slow feel.
Right up my alley, then.

You could start a new video blog - "Mudge on Sludge" - and interview seminal sludge players, review records, that sort of thing.
Good idea, I'm sure I could spare five minutes of my rapidly-expiring life!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I've known sludge. That was the stuff that I had to shovel out of a pit at the diesel shop I used to work at. It was right next to the steam cleaner where I had to roll around under big trucks to clean them.

Congrats Madge. Strangest thing I've heard today, although I love the Melvins. That's sludge for sure!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pinning my few hopes on the thought that it might be considerably more interesting to play than it is to listen to.
That's absolutely the way to approach any music form that doesn't organically inspire you.

SlitYourDrums

I love sludge! Be sure to check out Eyehategod, Crowbar, and my personal favorite, Acid Bath. Acid Bath has a more accessible sound than one might think, "Scream of the Butterfly" is a beautiful song.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Cheers! I'm still chortling about the whole thing.

And now a question that sounds facetious but is actually a serious one: How will I know if they're any good?
It's all subjective, you know. How will you like it, or how will you like playing it? I don't like country music, but it can be fun to play.