Slingerland Snare Identification

anyone know much about Slingerland and could help identify this snare? seller says it's a 6.5x14 from 1951 (no stamp, but he's going off what his parents said when they bought it for him in 1962). he doesn't know the model and said it was painted like that when he received it. I am looking in old catalogs and it looks like the student model, but it seems like that was only offered in 5.5x14 and 7x14. any ideas?

Capture.PNG2.PNG

It looks to me like a Slingerland snare drum that has been painted. "no kidding Jim"
Remove the paint from the badge. Post pictures of this drum and badge in this FaceBook page: Slingerland Sets and Snare Drums
They will know exactly what it is.
By the way, I think the muffler is a Rogers muffler.

It looks to me like a Slingerland snare drum that has been painted. "no kidding Jim"
Remove the paint from the badge. Post pictures of this drum and badge in this FaceBook page: Slingerland Sets and Snare Drums
They will know exactly what it is.
By the way, I think the muffler is a Rogers muffler..

well yeah, the plan would be to strip it and refinish it (depending on what's underneath), but I actually haven't bought it yet. was trying to identify it first to see if it would be worthwhile.

I've come across a couple of other Slingerland snares that have that muffler in them.

well yeah, the plan would be to strip it and refinish it (depending on what's underneath), but I actually haven't bought it yet. was trying to identify it first to see if it would be worthwhile.

I've come across a couple of other Slingerland snares that have that muffler in them.

Oh, you have not yet purchased it. If it is really low cost it might be ok. The interior is mahogany. Sometimes they are not the best sounding drums. They can sound boxy. Drums with maple interiors usually sound better; more crisp. You don't know what is under the paint. It's risky. If I were you I would pass on buying this drum. However, if they want $100 or less, then buy it. You can recoup the cost by selling the hardware.

Oh, you have not yet purchased it. If it is really low cost it might be ok. The interior is mahogany. Sometimes they are not the best sounding drums. They can sound boxy. Drums with maple interiors usually sound better; more crisp. You don't know what is under the paint. It's risky. If I were you I would pass on buying this drum. However, if they want $100 or less, then buy it. You can recoup the cost by selling the hardware.

thanks for your insight! he's asking quite a bit more than that. I requested to join that group out of curiosity, but haven't been accepted yet. was super confused to see someone post a picture of the same snare. turns out it's you! haha

thanks for your insight! he's asking quite a bit more than that. I requested to join that group out of curiosity, but haven't been accepted yet. was super confused to see someone post a picture of the same snare. turns out it's you! haha

Right on !!! LOL When it comes to Slingerland experts, Brooks Tegler is "The Man". He says the tone control is not a standard Slingerland item. I agree.

anyone know much about Slingerland and could help identify this snare? seller says it's a 6.5x14 from 1951 (no stamp, but he's going off what his parents said when they bought it for him in 1962). he doesn't know the model and said it was painted like that when he received it. I am looking in old catalogs and it looks like the student model, but it seems like that was only offered in 5.5x14 and 7x14. any ideas?

View attachment 93159View attachment 93158

Hi Cello. Yes it's a Student Model Radio King. (1948-1953). If it were me, I would take my time and try to bring back to it's old glory. Nice find. (y)

Right on !!! LOL When it comes to Slingerland experts, Brooks Tegler is "The Man". He says the tone control is not a standard Slingerland item. I agree.

good to know! I wasn't really looking at the full mechanism, just the round muffler itself.

Hi Cello. Yes it's a Student Model Radio King. (1948-1953). If it were me, I would take my time and try to bring back to it's old glory. Nice find. (y)

that's my hunch, but all the old catalogs I am looking at show the sizing for those to be either 5.5" or 7", not 6.5". I haven't been able to find any others that are in this size...

the lugs don't match for a Radio King that is pre-1953. More like 1955 . It should be 7" deep
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/slingerland_catalog_pages.html

The badge looks painted over in that gold bar.

that's the website I was using too. good catch on the lugs- I didn't even notice.

yeah, the badge is the more oval one. the snare itself was painted black as you can see the over-spray on the bearing edges. the pictures aren't great, but the throwoff looks pretty crooked too.

@Hollywood Jim - would you mind posting the other picture in that facebook group too? ? I have not been given approval yet. not sure I answered their questions as they would have liked.

that's the website I was using too. good catch on the lugs- I didn't even notice.

yeah, the badge is the more oval one. the snare itself was painted black as you can see the over-spray on the bearing edges. the pictures aren't great, but the throwoff looks pretty crooked too.

@Hollywood Jim - would you mind posting the other picture in that facebook group too? ? I have not been given approval yet. not sure I answered their questions as they would have liked.

Yeah I can do that.

Hi Cello. The 3-point strainer, lugs, hoops and clips are from that era. The shell might be a Leedy Chicago? or maybe a home made snare. The internal muffler is not a Slingerland. If you find out please anymore, let us know. Thank you. :)

Note: Leedy Chicago has the same stile badge as Slingerland and at that time Leedy made 6.5x14 shell.

Last edited:
Yeah I can do that.

thanks! I see you did and will follow along.

I suspected it was 7" shell as well, but when I asked the seller if he was sure it was a 6.5" he said he measured it again and that's what he came up with. I have a feeling the drum is not wrapped, just the way the spray paint coating is on it.

he's asking $225 for it. I'd then have to pay for shipping, so it sounds like it may be too much especially not knowing exactly what it is. I figured I'd just inquire about it though. I enjoy restoring drums and thought if I could clean it up and make a bit on it or at least break even then what the heck.

I came across this link too. I doubt this drum falls into this category, but a possiblity I suppose: https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/not-so-modern-drummer/2016/9/2/4cs85vvnct5cthp1lywmvpn6titlgt

Back