SLINGERLAND Resto-Mod complete!!

Old Dog new Cans

Dec 1, 1964
Nov, 1965
August, 1966

So, these are stamp dates. The 15" x 12" floor tom (which used to be a snare), was stamped in '64. The 22" x 14" bass drum in '65, and the 13" x 9" tom was stamped in '66. The bass is was had satin yellow flame wrap (and for my own tastes, that is THE WORST wrap ever). I tossed that wrap immediately. The toms, wow. The 13" tom was wrapped in black pearl, and it was in basic perfect condition. I know. Remove impeccable wrap? The drum had ALL of it's hardware, and it didn't cost me much more than $150. I thought it was a really good deal. It had a mount and muffler which I don't plan on installing. I did NOT damage the shell, much. I did use a bit of Plastic Wood. The 15" was a complete different story. I seriously considered tossing it. I used a heat gun, on both toms in order to remove the wrap. TWO HOURS EACH. HOLY Begeebees. When I was finished pulling the wrap on the 15, I had lost a considerable amount of the outer ply. No. . .no pics. It was embarassing. As I said, a ton of heat. I used a METAL scraper. . . .bad bad bad bad. . . .It didn't matter how much heat I was using. The scraper was finding it's way into the outer ply. I used a Lot of Plastic Wood on the 15. I mean wow. Slingerland must have used 3 cups of glue on that drum. UNREAL. Then, it dried in the sun for decades. If I bear-hugged it, I would have crushed it prior to applying the plastic wood.

All original 13". The bass drum claws are the ONLY original piece on that drum besides the shell. The 15" is completely non-original. I did buy "replica" lugs at DrumFactoryDirect. 2.3mm TF hoops, and all maple lacquered hoops on the bass. DW hoop claws. I really dig them. iNDE Drum Labs 18" lightweight cymbal arm with a BR2XL in order to fit the existing holes that were already there for a cymbal arm. And the ugly misshapen felt strip! I have no idea how much a felt strip from a "music store" or drum co. costs---I simply decided to buy felt and cut strips myself. I'm sure I saved $25??

That's an authentic Slingerland snare stand from the 70s. VERY solid, I was happily surprised. I also heard or saw in a couple videos, that the old style snare stands, if sturdy enough, tend to let the tom resonate more?? I just don't want it to fall of, ya know?!~

Oh. . .G12 heads atop the toms, Evans Genera Resos beneath. That is a 10mil DFD coated single ply. The decal stuck nicely. I was worried. And an Aquarian Studio-X with dot.

ENJOY! I AM

Oh. . .please ignore my backgrounds. I tried to get all of the "junk" out of the pics.

That is great work sir! Beautiful kit that I'd love to play/own.

Beautiful! I'll bet they sound great too!

I tried a similar project getting some Chrome-O-Wood wrap off some Ludwig toms. Ludwig and Slingerland must have similar ideas on just how much glue to use and sadly the metal wrap beat me. I just couldn't get the right combination of heat, force, and brute strength required to get the wrap off.

Beautiful! I'll bet they sound great too!

I tried a similar project getting some Chrome-O-Wood wrap off some Ludwig toms. Ludwig and Slingerland must have similar ideas on just how much glue to use and sadly the metal wrap beat me. I just couldn't get the right combination of heat, force, and brute strength required to get the wrap off.

It was really horrible, I feel your pain. I seriously considered replacing the shell. But, it does, sound great! I'm not worried about it. I won't ever sell these. But if I do, there will be a serious Bondo disclaimer to go with the sale. :LOL:

Back