Slingerland Heads

bodhran

I have a Slingerland student model chrome/steel snare drum from around '75-ish. Looks like original heads and snares.
I'm looking for a recommendation for replacement heads for it. What do you recommend for student use?
I plan to leave the 16 strand snare set alone, unless there's a better plan?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I suggest you use the following for student use.
For batter side head (top), Evans Genera Dry, 10 mil, 2 mil control ring, with dry vent holes.
For reso snare side head (bottom), Evans 300, 3 mil film.

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
I think a good starting point is to try a single-ply coated batter head, such as a Remo Ambassador or Evans UV1, and a 3-mil snare-side head such as the Evans 300 mentioned above. From there, you can add muffling as desired.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I think a good starting point is to try a single-ply coated batter head, such as a Remo Ambassador or Evans UV1, and a 3-mil snare-side head such as the Evans 300 mentioned above. From there, you can add muffling as desired.
No No, not a good idea for a batter head. The student will get tired of the overtones and he will put his wallet on the batter head for muffling.
And then for years and years he will be putting his wallet in his snare drum batter head when he plays. And eventually other drummers will make fun of him. Trust me on this. Been there done that.

bodhran

Thank you folks for the suggestions.

What about the snare wires? Should I think about replacing those as well?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Thank you folks for the suggestions.

What about the snare wires? Should I think about replacing those as well?
If the wires are nice and flat and straight I would not change them.
Check them for flatness and straightness. Take them off the drum. Lay them on a flat surface.

bodhran

I just took the heads off and was surprised to see such an exaggerated indentation in the shell for the snare bed.
Is this the typical design for Slingerlands?

Attachments

Stroman

Platinum Member
I just took the heads off and was surprised to see such an exaggerated indentation in the shell for the snare bed.
Is this the typical design for Slingerlands?
Yes, that's an old style crimped-in snare bed. Not uncommon at the time.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm with you. I like this combo the best. The original setup since plastic heads became available. Simple. Lively. Can be toned down if desired. The most versatile sounding head.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Do you have an idea what time frame that puts the drum in? Thanks!
I'm not a historian by any means, but they're generally associated with 60's era drums and earlier.

And BTW - I'd also recommend a coated Ambassador batter and Hazy Ambassador snare side.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I have played several snares with steel shell. I agree that an Evans Dry head should be the batter head. Peace and goodwill.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I have a 60's Slingerland 6 lug snare. It has those same snare beds. The head crinkles there.

My snare has re-rings. It's a 60's era snare. Thin shell minimal plies.

I use Remo Ambassador for batter and Remo thin reso head on snare side.

I'd keep the original snares if they're not all bent or some missing. If need to be replaced, Pure Sound. I actually like a few more strands than just 20. I get a 24 or 28 strand and tune reso head a little looser than normal. I like crushed rolls to sound crushed. On these vintage snares it's not gonna be a tight pop funk sound anyway. It's a wayyyy cool laid back snare for jazz and blues.

TxGroove

I wouldn't change the wires but I would keep a spare whenever you need to change them. I have two Slingerland Snare drums (Maple & Chrome bodies) with original snares and head on the maple shell ( a tenor style look ) I left them on 'cause they sound good enough for me.

I had thoughts of swapping to the DW True Tone Brass Snares, the Puresounds or, what I'm leaning more toward are the Tama MS20SN14B Snappy Snare wires. All three w/ 20 strands.

As for heads go, since your using a student snare like the others say, a basic Evans head would work fine. I'm going to swap my heads on my Chrome snare drum with the Aquarian TCPD14 on top and Aquarian Hazy head on the bottom to be specific.

If you want a simple tone on your snare, i'd do Puresound wires and Evans Genera Dry heads (hazy's on the bottom) very budget friendly too.

Last edited:
No No, not a good idea for a batter head. The student will get tired of the overtones and he will put his wallet on the batter head for muffling.
And then for years and years he will be putting his wallet in his snare drum batter head when he plays. And eventually other drummers will make fun of him. Trust me on this. Been there done that.

Well, he said it's a student model snare, not that it will be used by a student :)
The Acrolite was also a student model.

There was a Genera Dry on my steel shell Sensitone when I bought it. It's great if you want the tone of having a gel without actually putting a gel, but it's sounding a bit too dead to me. That said, it is a nice head when you don't want to fight the snare too much.

bodhran

So, I'm getting the Slingerland drum back together after a thorough cleaning.
Today, I test fit the Evans Genera Dry batter head and found the fit was extremely tight.
I will say it's likely any heads would be tight though. I had to really work at the Slingerland branded heads that I took off it.
In comparison, the heads that I put on my vintage Acrolite went on with ease in comparison!
No question here...just a comment.

So, I'm getting the Slingerland drum back together after a thorough cleaning.
Today, I test fit the Evans Genera Dry batter head and found the fit was extremely tight.
I will say it's likely any heads would be tight though. I had to really work at the Slingerland branded heads that I took off it.
In comparison, the heads that I put on my vintage Acrolite went on with ease in comparison!
No question here...just a comment.
Try a Remo Classic Fit. I have a "swollen" Acrolite that had a tight Ludwig head on the batter side, and a new G1 was still too tight. The Remo Classic worked ad advertised.

bodhran

Try a Remo Classic Fit. I have a "swollen" Acrolite that had a tight Ludwig head on the batter side, and a new G1 was still too tight. The Remo Classic worked ad advertised.

What did you use on the snare side? I fear I'm headed for a similar, or worse, issue there as the snare beds are a "crimped" design and actually protrude beyond the shell some!

What did you use on the snare side? I fear I'm headed for a similar, or worse, issue there as the snare beds are a "crimped" design and actually protrude beyond the shell some!
I used a standard Ambassador on the bottom, as I only needed the Classic fit on the top. They do make Classic Fit heads for the snare side if you need one, BTW.