Slingerland, Cut-A-Way Kit on Craigslist $850

force3005

Silver Member
A friend sent this to me but the kit is in Wisconsin. If someone gets the kit let us know how it sounds. Thanks

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ludwig's answer to the "frontal projection" trend were those plastic scoops you attached to the bottom of regular 'flat' shells. That was kinda' cool because it gave you a choice if you didn't like the look. You can see these things new in the 1980 catalogs from Ludwig and the 1978 catalog from Slingerland. Slingerland did lead the way with this look as all marching drum manufacturers followed this trend, and now practically all marching multi-tenor drums are made like this.

But mind you, although these made tenors lighter somewhat, thanks to drum corps rules about not having any percussion grounded on the sidelines, they were still marketing marching tympani, creating an entire generation of drum corps types with bad backs today ;)

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Beautiful kit. The price doesn’t seem high, in France, you’d hardly get a 4 piece Slingerland kit at the price.

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

But mind you, although these made tenors lighter somewhat, thanks to drum corps rules about not having any percussion grounded on the sidelines, they were still marketing marching tympani, creating an entire generation of drum corps types with bad backs today ;)
I had forgotten all about these. :LOL:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Timpani should have been in the pit from he beginning, and Kevlar heads should have never been allowed.

Just my sort-of-humble opinion

V-Four

Perfect for marching band. Where tone is not very important.

Must suck to "March" around with that 8 pc set.. :)

But I personally can't imagine them sounding that great.. but even if.. I'm Not a fan of the look. (Knowing me though, its probably just because its "different"- and I don't like different. ;) )

YMMV

T.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Timpani should have been in the pit from he beginning, and Kevlar heads should have never been allowed.

Just my sort-of-humble opinion
You have to understand, up until the early 1980s, there was no such thing as a "pit". Everything was marched on the field! I think the DCI rules changed in 1981 and you started to see them putting concert tympani on the side of the field, and then of course, as time went on, now the sidelines are just full of EVERYTHING!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
You have to understand, up until the early 1980s, there was no such thing as a "pit". Everything was marched on the field! I think the DCI rules changed in 1981 and you started to see them putting concert tympani on the side of the field, and then of course, as time went on, now the sidelines are just full of EVERYTHING!
I am just a hair too young to remember that. I think I watched my first DCI show in about 1989 or 90. I’m just old enough to remember the pre-Kevlar days. And my ex-girlfriend’s mom used to tell me about playing on calf heads in the early 60s when she was in her HS snare line.