Slingerland COB TDR snare!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I now have a 6.5x14 Slingerland COB TDR snare!

I actually got Jimmy Ford to “make it better” by installing a set of Pearl extended snare wires (normally used for their Free Floaters, and he set it up with Aquarian American vintage heads. Talk about a throaty sound! A nice addition to the Slingerland blakromes from 1976! I think this snare is from the same era!

B1758B5A-7E19-4818-B882-F994A6336C48.jpegF81BE2BD-48B5-479F-8E25-024DB0405FAF.jpeg7477B4DE-34BD-4474-AB2F-33A2BEE38BB2.jpeg

TDR? I know it's the snare setup, but what does the acronym stand for?

Very nice Bo!

Nice!

Did it need the American Vintage heads? I would have thought a 70s drum wouldn't really need it, but I've used Remo's heads that have oversized flesh hoops on modern drums with no problem too. Just curious...

Played one in drum corps back in the 70's.
They were the hot marching snare until the Kevlar crowd took over.

Nice!

Did it need the American Vintage heads? I would have thought a 70s drum wouldn't really need it, but I've used Remo's heads that have oversized flesh hoops on modern drums with no problem too. Just curious...
Probably not, but it sounds really good. I’m getting used to it since I’ve never played Aquarian heads, but it’s not a bad sound.

Bo, I've been looking at Slingy snares online since I restored my Slingys. You find some great stuff out your way. Not only did I NOT ONCE, see a 6.5" COB, most weren't in this shape. Nice find as usual.

Bo, I've been looking at Slingy snares online since I restored my Slingys. You find some great stuff out your way. Not only did I NOT ONCE, see a 6.5" COB, most weren't in this shape. Nice find as usual.
Well, the first one I found the seller wanted $700! No way I’d spend that much. Then I went looking around Reverb and found this guy who had it and we negotiated down to $300. It has dings and is not perfect, but it matches the damaged nature of the entire kit?

Well, the first one I found the seller wanted $700! No way I’d spend that much. Then I went looking around Reverb and found this guy who had it and we negotiated down to $300. It has dings and is not perfect, but it matches the damaged nature of the entire kit?

Enormous price hikes on "vintage" gear. It's certainly hard to find pristine stuff, and then you have to pay for it.
Yeah if he had it priced at $450 or more, I didn't even stop to look at it. That's probably why I missed it. Not a bad deal.

Back