Slingerland Aluminum Snare curiosity

opentune

Platinum Member
I got this drum a little while ago, on a whim, and meant to post this curiosity. Was looking for an Acrolite sound but in the Slingerland line....just to be different. Its a neat drum, but when I got it and cleaned it up was amazed at how horrifying simple its construction is.

If you see on the reso side pic, the shell is just one sheet, bent around, seemed with screws, and the metal simply bent over to make a bearing edge. And the bearing edge...... is just a very sharp bend-over? No angle.... Is that not bizarre? I was a little horrified, because if I recall no Acros have that, nor any Supra or other metal drum I have examined.

Despite my horror, it does sound good. Anybody else have one of these or know their history to this method? I am guessing it was a cheap manufacturing shortcut.

The brushed Alum ones (non-ribbed) appear in catalogues up until about 1978, after that they are ribbed.

Dirtysticks

I've heard a few of those and the steel counterparts and they do actually sound nice. I was skeptical at first, when I saw them, but they were decent snares when I actually hit them.

opentune

Platinum Member
It is decent sound, quite a bit of body, but I'm baffled at how they came up with that construction, and that it turned out OK.

opentune

Platinum Member
thanks for the tip. I see yours has some slope/angle on the bent edge, whereas mine is a complete turn over, essentially vertical.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That type of construction was just a cost cutting measure,so Slingerland could at least try to remain competitive with Ludwig in the school drum sales market.

The model 140 and the acrolite(LM404) which is an aluminum alloy,were both marketed as student snare drums and both first appeared in the 63 catalog of BOTH companys.

The acro was and is still a better design.One piece of spun,seamless metal shell,the same shell as the supraphonic

,Although the prototypes were welded,and had a backing plate by the seam,just like the Slingy.

They both retailed for 65 bucks US,but the model 140 was cheaper to build.

We all know who won THAT drum battle,as Ludwig sold them by the metric ton.

Steve B

opentune

Platinum Member
hmmmm .....Cost cutting measure. And I thought Slingerland was simply trying to *copy* the Acro. Clearly not so in the manufacturing process.
This drum sounds very similar to an Acro, but the Acro I had was far more flexible for different tunings.