slide technique setup?? help!

m trying to develope the slide technique in my feet
.. but i have ended with a mess of my bass drum and pedals.

plz tell me the best tension and settings of the bass drum batter and resonant head.. and muffling..

and the most important.. pedal tension... and foot positioning..

i have been browsing through the whole internet world.. still didnt find anything satisfactory..

plz help!.

andSometimesY

I never really messed with anything when I started using slide technique. My guess would be to keep the tension pretty high though so the beater will bounce right off the head and be ready for the next stroke. Also, I would suggest looking at Jojo Mayer's foot technique. I much prefer it to the slide.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
You're really asking a lot of things here that are just preference. Spring tension and drum muffling are all personal to the player. I personally like a looser tension and little muffling. The muffling really won't affect your foot technique, it's really more what sort of sound you want out of your kick. As for spring tension start with it just with it at medium and if that feels too tight, loosen it a little, too loose, tighten it. It really takes time to find the perfect tension.

Check out this video, he does a pretty good job of explaining the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGPU89hM4U

i understand its difficult to tell.

but atleast tell me the end points of the range of tension... between which i should try adjusting

actually... i believe that whatever be the tension... ur foot will adjust the technique to it.. as time passes...

so.. tell me the range of the tension... @ which.. most of the players feel comfortable to adapt..

so.. i can jus concentrate over mastering thechnique @ that setting. n stop waisting my frustration.. on useless settings

thanking for your efforts

Fiery

Silver Member
plz tell me the best tension and settings of the bass drum batter and resonant head.. and muffling..
Tune your drum for the sound you're trying to achieve and you'll adapt to playing on it after a while.

but atleast tell me the end points of the range of tension... between which i should try adjusting
You should be adjusting from the tightest your pedal will go, all the way to where there is almost slack in the spring. There really is no "golden range" that works for everyone, and there is loads of other factors too, such as the strength of your spring, your beater angle and the shape of your cam.

Last edited:

joeysnare

Silver Member
the slide tech needs no special settings, it can be done on cranked to the max pedals and as loose as they get. start with your foot mid way down the foot board kick once then slide your foot foward for the second stroke. practice will make it a faster and more consistant sounding movment.

Hentex

what joey said. but to be fair heel toe is pretty easy to learn if you have a couple hours playing around with it. I dunno weather i prefer slide or heel toe, so i practice both. Just gotta keep doing it until ur muscle memory kicks in and it becomes second nature.

theindian

I use slide to doubles sometimes. I never set out to use it as a technique, it just kinda happened as the speed of the double strokes increased. So my advice is to set your tension to where it feels right all around, & just play doubles. As you get faster you will naturally start to use different motions. It might be slide or heel-toe or whatever technique is the buzz these days. Just play & it will happen.