Skiers and Safety

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Once again the subject of skiing with a helmet is a topic of the day. I first used a helmet back in the early nineties while my wife and I were teaching our three year old how to ski. You can't ask a three year old to wear something that mom and dad won't wear.

I found that the helmet is the most comfortable head covering that I have ever worn! Your head doesn't get to cold or warm. The helmet has adjustable vents. Your head doesn't get Hat Itch. Your ears stay covered. Goggles fit better. I couldn't find any cons to wearing one! I never skied again without one on my head. I even have speakers built into mine for my ipod. I love skiing to music!

About ten years ago I was skiing with the guys. Of course It became a speed contest. I caught an edge and I fell at full speed! My head hit a piece of crud on the trail. I suffered a minor concussion with the helmet on! There was a small crack in the back of the helmet! I don't have to wonder what would have happened if I wasn't wearing one!

If you currently are not skiing with a helmet I suggest that you try one on your next trip! You will never want to wear a hat again.

Last edited:
Good idea. It was just in the news recently that a bloke who ran a successful music business in the UK died in a skiing accident. I shopped there and last night there was that thing about that woman who's in hospital and is a celebrity or something. BTW what's a helmut? Is it a brand name or are you just a crap speller?

BTW what's a helmut? Is it a brand name or are you just a crap speller?
Wow!!! Talk about a brain fart! I can't believe that I did that! A friend of mine is named Helmut. I was spelling his name in an email about an hour before I wrote this post. I had Helmut on the brain! I went back and I corrected it. Perhaps I'm still feeling the symptoms of that concussion!

Yes. My family used to go skiing in the Rockies every year, but money became scarce so we had to stop. Always wear a helmet when skiing, snowboarding, skating, scootering, riding a bike, and playing sports.

Didn't some actress die recently from skiing without a helmet? Natasha something...Anyway, weird (and fortunate) that you should make this thread now cos I'm going skiing with school for the first time on real slopes next week. With me luck! xP

Yeah, she was Vanessa Redgrave's daughter. Pretty sad really. Head injuries can be terrible, me nan fell over and hit her head on some tiles at a swimming pool as a result of which she got terrible brain injuries and it's probably why she died. Our family didn't sue the US college that the swimming pool was in either. Think about that next time you think about filing for damages after breaking a finger.

yes that actress was married to Liam Neeson a famous irish actor this story is all over the papers here it is tragic loss of life that can so easily be avoided.

Yes, it was Natasha Richardson who just recently died of a head wound that she thought she recovered from..."Richardson, who fell during a private ski lesson Monday at a ski resort in Quebec, was seemingly fine afterward. But about an hour later she complained that she didn't feel well. The 45-year-old actress was hospitalized Tuesday in Montreal and later flown to a hospital in New York. Alan Nierob, the Los Angeles-based publicist for Richardson's husband, Liam Neeson, confirmed her death Wednesday without giving details on the cause."

Such a tragic loss that possibly could have been avoided by simply wearing a helmet! I know I would not do anything like that without a helmet! I only skied once and did not get off the bunny hill, but I had protection cause I can get crazy!

Here is a link with ski injury data. http://www.ski-blog.com/2008/01/some_statistics_on_ski_injurie.html A few years ago I was in a ski school. I was clocked by a radar gun at 52 MPH on a steep intermediate trail. I was skiing in control. I am an expert skier. I had no idea that I was going that fast. I wasn't the fastest skier in the class that day. I think that the fastest skier went about 58 MPH.

Last edited:
I heard on my drive home tonight that one of the big ski resorts here, the US, has now said that ALL skiers will now be required to wear helmets. I will research the particular one.

I think Sonny Bono and John Denver both died from skiing head injuries

I thought JohnDenver died in a plane crash??

On October 12, 1997, Denver was killed when the Long-EZ aircraft he was piloting crashed just off the coast of California at Pacific Grove, shortly after taking off from the Monterey Peninsula Airport.

That whole "thought she was fine"-thing is freaking me out. I was doing my biking the other day and I did an epic drop and instead I landed on my shoulder and slammed my head into the ground. Well, it kinda bounced off really quick. Hurt like crazy. I felt all weird afterwards. I feel better now though! Haven't really checked it out. Don't have something called health insurance.

That whole "thought she was fine"-thing is freaking me out. I was doing my biking the other day and I did an epic drop and instead I landed on my shoulder and slammed my head into the ground. Well, it kinda bounced off really quick. Hurt like crazy. I felt all weird afterwards. I feel better now though! Haven't really checked it out. Don't have something called health insurance.

Well, Natasha Richardson died from a massive hematoma that was very diffuse. She should have at least gone to the ER to get checked for a concussion and they would would have had more than ample time to discover the internal bleeding and save her life. Sad thing is that the EMT's were turned away from seeing her when they were right there.

One of my best friends almost died when she was 18 as a result of a skiing accident. She was in a coma for a month and had to undergo massive reconstructive plastic surgery on her face. I highly recommend helmets for skiers.

I thought JohnDenver died in a plane crash??

On October 12, 1997, Denver was killed when the Long-EZ aircraft he was piloting crashed just off the coast of California at Pacific Grove, shortly after taking off from the Monterey Peninsula Airport.

Your right it was a plane crash . it was Sonny Bono that died from a skiing head injury wasnt wearing a helmet

Back