SKF Blog: A Great Drum Photo is Still Worth 1,000 Words

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
SKF NOTE: I still enjoy looking at drum advertisements. Not all of them. But especially pre-internet ads. Short of seeing drummers live at clinics (rare), or in concert (rarer for minor age drummers), or on t.v. (rare) - photos in magazine drum ads provided hours of study when I was growing up.

Like this Buddy Rich ad for Rogers Drums. What a great still shot of how Buddy holds sticks and his hands. I guarantee many drummers tried tilting their snare drums after seeing this ad. And as I was looking at this ad a day or two ago, I noticed the flattened cardboard box wedged between Buddy's snare rim and the side of his small tom-tom.

Plus, even as stand alone photos, many of these old drum ads - done by great photographers such as Chuck Stewart - are priceless. Yes, a picture is still worth a thousand words.

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Blisco

I'm always amazed by Buddy's poor posture.

The ads that I loved were the 80's Ludwig and Sabian ads, sometimes with dozens of their respective artists in them. Often, you could get the poster for your drum room, which I did.

I was especially enamoured with the brochures. I recall keeping my worn Ludwig Rocker brochure carefully tucked in my English textbook. A lot of daydreaming was done. Couldn't wait to get home after school and play the ole Maxwins.

Yes, pictures and ads 100% contributed to my GAS and affect me to this day. New set-up ideas etc...no other instrument probably does that.

Acidline303

I'm always amazed by Buddy's poor posture..
haha. My first band instructor (a clarinet player) forced us to adopt that posture while standing and playing our snares. Wasn't quite sure why at the time but my guess is he thought what Buddy does, we should do.

I felt like a vulture leering over a carcass.

singing drums

...your posts are very much appreciated, skf...

...looks as if buddy hunches over his kit to get closer to the drums (for hand speed?)...but the angle of his legs suggests that his throne height has him perched high over his kit (for leg speed?)...consequently, buddy's legendary bad back/posture problems (?)...

opentune

Platinum Member
Wow what a tilt on that snare. Question is, how is he operating the hihat way over to the left (background), given the position of his left leg?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Wow what a tilt on that snare. Question is, how is he operating the hihat way over to the left (background), given the position of his left leg?
Ha! Yeah, his hi-hat is no where near where his foot would be.

My guess is the photo was posed, not a real live shot. Glare coming off the hi-hat stand was probably going into the camera, so the photographer moved it.