SKB Mid-Sized Drum Hardware Case VS. Ahead OGIO Hardware Case

single-ply

I've narrowed my upcoming hardware case selection down to these two cases. Both are well built and have their pluses and minuses.

What are your opinions, especially directed at those who own or have experience with one or both.

The SKB would be awesome, but empty, it weighs in at 21 Lbs. Not sure how much the OGIO sled weighs empty. Can't find that spec anywhere.

With my questionable back, weight is always an issue to consider when loading into a car, etc. My hardware typically consists of three DW ultra lights cymbal stands, Yamaha 6000 series hi hat, and snare stand, music stand, cowbell and hoop mount, Dunnett rail for tom, Tama throne (their lightest one), stick bag, and drum rug.

Pretty sure all of this will fit in either case. Just comes down to weight of the SKB case vs. future durability of the Ahead bag.

What are your thoughts?

Mongrel

Silver Member
I have an SKB medium case, but I think it is an older version. Not sure of the weight, but I may be able to dig it out and weigh it when I get home from work. I am not familiar with the other brand.

Thoughts-

It is an extremely well-made case. Everything about it, the material, the straps, the liner, are top shelf. The way the lid gets locked down you won't have to worry about it popping open-even if it fell down a flight of stairs imo.

Yes it is heavy and bulky. This makes it a little difficult to manuever in tight spots and I often have to stand it up on end to rotate it around corners and or in tight spots. Not something you want to put into the truck or car by yourself really. Not that you can't, it's just safer and smarter to get help when it is fully loaded.

The wheels are nice but are small roller blade sized wheels (don't get me wrong, they are quality wheels) and not really helpful except on smooth surfaces. I messed up one of mine hauling the case up my basement steps.

Something else to think about when considering hard cases-storing them during the gig. I can usually get away with stuffing my hardware bag/s drum bags in a corner, or at least put one inside the other. Soft bags are much easier to stow away imo, and lighter/easier to take back out to my truck after I set up. For a touring drummer probably not a big deal but for a weekend warrior like me? Honestly the hard cases don't get out much.

Something I definitely do not care for is the gray "box/shelf thingy" that fits in two notches at one end of the case. Not sure the new ones come with this or not but it is really a waste and hurts the integrity of the case if removed. Which is what I do most of the time. This "box" is something like blow-molded poly so it is really bulky and fat for what you get from it, and takes up way too much room for what it holds. One thing it does not hold is a 14" snare drum (at least not mine). Ironically it looks like it is made for this, and if it did hold a full sized snare at least that would go towards justifying it's existence. It may hold a pedal, but if I recall, my Iron Cobra would not fit in it. On the bright side it will hold an LP tambourine.

I did use it on a recent gig and was able to fit a standard sized 13" x 20" LP cajon, three DW ultralight stands-snare, cymbal, hi-hat, Tama Titan throne base, 5.5 x 14" snare, hi hat cymbals, small crash cymbal, tambourine and assorted hand percussion, cajon pedal mount, and my stick bag. Wheeled it in set up, played, broke down, wheeled it out. One case one trip each way. But that is onviously a unique situation, and not something that happens often or is typical for that many players.

The best use for my medium case has been to store unused drums and hardware in it.. Pretty expensive "foot locker" lol. I got mine used/like new for a very good price so I'm ok with it. But I am glad I didn't buy it new. Would I buy it again? No, I don't think so because I would prefer to use two smaller cases in the long run.

If I can I will post some pics and dimensions...

Good luck in your quest!

ottog1979

I have two SKB Medium cases (one for each drum kit). For me, they're awesome - indestructible. Both drum kits are 5-pieces so the SKB's hold 2 cymbal stands, HH stand, snare stand, (all double-braced) BD pedal, BD tom mounts, throne stand, throne seat, stick bag, cowbell, tambourine and some smaller mounting hardware for accessories.

The case would obviously be heavier than a bag but it certainly doesn't feel heavy when empty. It is heavy, however, fully loaded. But, I like having all my stands & mounting gear in one place/container.

Lifetime warranty on these things, so Mongrel, you ought to check SKB's website for how to get this fixed:
I messed up one of mine hauling the case up my basement steps.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have an OGIO cart. I also have one of those rockbag hardware carts.

My negs on the OGIO:

Upright, it falls over, I have to lean it against something.
Non top loading, I have to lay it down.
Zipper goes around bag, it's like 6' long and goes around all 4 corners, only good for flat on the floor loading. I prefer top loading, freestanding carts with shorter zippers.
There's no accessible metal frame to attach anything to for modding purposes.

Positives:
Light empty.
Seat top fits inside
The sled part comes in handy for steps, I just precariously balance it on the top of the steps, jump on it, and surf it down the steps like a surfboard. (kidding!)

I like my rockbag better. It's less money too. I easily modded some deficiencies. It needed sturdier wheels so I replaced them. I also reinforced the inside bottom with a fitted piece of thin plywood, even sturdy cardboard works. Cheap mods but necessary for the long haul. It doesn't tip over when fully loaded, and has a small floor footprint. It has a 1/2" metal tube frame that I attached big wide garage type hooks with hose clamps to carry my water jug, seat top and squirrel cage fan. It's top loading and the 18" straight fly-type front zipper does open up for easy access to the bottom. I've been using the same one for like 8 years now. At least 500 gigs. It's not too heavy empty, maybe 12 lbs.

Last edited:

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I have an OGIO cart. I also have one of those rockbag hardware carts.

My negs on the OGIO:

Upright, it falls over, I have to lean it against something.
Non top loading, I have to lay it down.
Zipper goes around bag, it's like 6' long and goes around all 4 corners, only good for flat on the floor loading. I prefer top loading, freestanding carts with shorter zippers.
There's no accessible metal frame to attach anything to for modding purposes.

Positives:
Light empty.
Seat top fits inside
The sled part comes in handy for steps, I just precariously balance it on the top of the steps, jump on it, and surf it down the steps like a surfboard. (kidding!)

I like my rockbag better. It's less money too. I easily modded some deficiencies. It needed sturdier wheels so I replaced them. I also reinforced the inside bottom with a fitted piece of thin plywood, even sturdy cardboard works. Cheap mods but necessary for the long haul. It doesn't tip over when fully loaded, and has a small floor footprint. It has a 1/2" metal tube frame that I attached big wide garage type hooks with hose clamps to carry my water jug, seat top and squirrel cage fan. It's top loading and the 18" straight fly-type front zipper does open up for easy access to the bottom. I've been using the same one for like 8 years now. At least 500 gigs. It's not too heavy empty, maybe 12 lbs.

I've got the Ogio Medium hardware bag w/ sled. My bag stands up properly unless I overload it. The wheels are excellent and the sled feature is invaluable for stairs and for loading into my van.

I don't mind the "lay it on the side" loading system since it is the only system that I've ever used over the last 30 years. I like the looks of the Rockbag but it doesn't seem to be available for sale anymore.

I will say that the Ahead Ogio bag is built like a tank and is directly responsible for me switching from the cheap Gator bags to Ahead. I was heading toward upgrading to all Protection Racket (I used their snare bag for about a year), but then I bought the Ahead Ogio bag and was blown away with how well-made it was.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Well...this is embarrassing...lol

What I have is a discontinued SKB 1SKB-TPX1 TRAP CASE, it is 41 x 18 x 18 and 31.55lbs!!! Obviously it has been awhile since I've looked at the case....lol!

No where near as convenient as the "medium" case you are asking about. I would say judging by the quality of the two SKB cases I have (I also have the more traditional four wheeled SKB trap case) that it is probably a killer case. I may even have to look into one myself. I guess you guys thought I lost my mind after saying I could fit all that stuff into a "medium case"!

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
I have two SKB Medium cases (one for each drum kit). For me, they're awesome - indestructible. Both drum kits are 5-pieces so the SKB's hold 2 cymbal stands, HH stand, snare stand, (all double-braced) BD pedal, BD tom mounts, throne stand, throne seat, stick bag, cowbell, tambourine and some smaller mounting hardware for accessories.

The case would obviously be heavier than a bag but it certainly doesn't feel heavy when empty. It is heavy, however, fully loaded. But, I like having all my stands & mounting gear in one place/container.

Lifetime warranty on these things, so Mongrel, you ought to check SKB's website for how to get this fixed:
THANKS for that reminder.... I will look into it.

single-ply

Well...this is embarrassing...lol

What I have is a discontinued SKB 1SKB-TPX1 TRAP CASE, it is 41 x 18 x 18 and 31.55lbs!!! Obviously it has been awhile since I've looked at the case....lol!

No where near as convenient as the "medium" case you are asking about. I would say judging by the quality of the two SKB cases I have (I also have the more traditional four wheeled SKB trap case) that it is probably a killer case. I may even have to look into one myself. I guess you guys thought I lost my mind after saying I could fit all that stuff into a "medium case"!

Sorry for the confusion.
LOL, no worries Mongrel. I knew you were talking about a different case, but I still appreciate the input.

I actually appreciate everyone's input. Right now I have a 33" long H&B Galaxy bag w/ wheels. It's just the right size for my needs, but the sturdiness just isn't there. The wheels have splayed so the bottom drags on the ground, and the zippers are becoming unstitched. I suspect that, unloaded, it weighs only about 6-7 Lbs.

I definitely like the Ahead Ogio 38" sled, but I wish it were a bit more rectangular at the top, like my Galaxy bag. The SKB's only drawbacks for me are the weight, 20 or so Lbs. and the fact that there are no side pockets for small items.

By the way, if any are interested in the SKB, I see that Musician's Friend has them priced for 159.00 w/ free shipping. That's the best price I have seen on those.