Ska, music, drumming, drummers.

Drumquest2

I don't see any interest in what is an underrated drumming (and popular) form; SKA.

'would be welcome to see views on technique and SKA styles.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I cut my drumming teeth on the punk-ska movement in the 1990s. It was popular when I first got my drumset. I got whatever chops I had from playing along with the self-titled Goldfinger CD from start to finish back in the day when I was practicing a lot (In addition to Our Lady Peace and 311). I couldn't keep up with the Suicide Machines, but Lord knows I tried. I used to listen to Reel Big Fish as well.

I like it as a genre, but I can only take it in small doses these days.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've always loved "Mirror in the Bathroom".

Although I was disappointed when the internet was invented and could go online and read the lyrics to the song and I realized just how dumb the verses are.

But between Madness and No Doubt, I don't think ska is under rated.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I don't see any interest in what is an underrated drumming (and popular) form; SKA.

'would be welcome to see views on technique and SKA styles.
I think there is the basic Eurocentric style based on marching brass band techniques, then the Brazillian influenced marching samba/reggae based ska. I think the latter has more arranged drum parts IE breaks, while the former is hard to distinguish from rock.

HMNY

Silver Member
I've always loved "Mirror in the Bathroom".

Although I was disappointed when the internet was invented and could go online and read the lyrics to the song and I realized just how dumb the verses are.

But between Madness and No Doubt, I don't think ska is under rated.
With respect, if you consider when the song was written, the country it was written in, at the time it was written, I think the lyrics resonate pretty well.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
With respect, if you consider when the song was written, the country it was written in, at the time it was written, I think the lyrics resonate pretty well.
The 1st verse, that also repeats later in the song:
Mirror in the bathroom
please talk free
The door is locked
just you and me.
Can I take you to a restaurant
that's got glass tables
You can watch yourself
while you are eating.
Sure, the 3rd verse is good, and the chorus is fine.
But I've always thought this bit was weak.

Unless I'm missing something. And maybe I am.

Just as a kid, hearing the song on the radio, I thought there was something more profound going on. But I don't see anything in profound in "Can I take you to a restaurant
that's got glass tables
You can watch yourself
while you are eating."

It comes off as drab can I take you on a date lyrics like 1001 other songs on the radio.

HMNY

Silver Member
I was always under the impression it was a nod to the narcissism of the 80s, the "me me me" time, with a side nod "Mirror in the bathroom Recompense For all my crimes of self defense" to violence between multi-ethnicity, left leaning bands (like the Specials) suffered at the time.

But that's the beauty of song lyrics, they mean different things to different folks!

Be well.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
I'm a big fan, and the band I'm in play around the Ska/Punk/Mod circuit.

The Specials were my favourite but so hit and miss it hurt.

Weirdly I once played in a covers band called The Dirty Legends. We supported Bad Manners at Darwen and Blackburn music festival.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I was always under the impression it was a nod to the narcissism of the 80s, the "me me me" time, with a side nod "Mirror in the bathroom Recompense For all my crimes of self defense" to violence between multi-ethnicity, left leaning bands (like the Specials) suffered at the time.

But that's the beauty of song lyrics, they mean different things to different folks!

Be well.
Perhaps. Although the song came out in 1980, before the 80's were in full swing.

Either way, it's a great song.

EDIT: I found this online:
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2542
This was written by The English Beat singer and guitarist Dave Wakeling. He told us the story of the song: "I was working in construction at the time, and it was the winter. I had forgotten to hang my jeans up to dry overnight, so when I got into the bathroom to shower up, I noticed my jeans were still on the floor, soaking wet, covered in sand. So I hung them up thinking well, it's probably best to have them steaming hot and wet. I went to shave, and it was snowing, and I really, really didn't want to go. So I started talking to myself in the mirror as I was shaving up. And it was weird, because I looked deeper in the mirror, and I could see the little caption on the door behind, and I said to myself, Look, David, there's just me and you in here. The door's locked. We don't have to go to work. Of course we did. Got on the motorbike, and I just started pondering as I skated my way to the construction site on this motorbike. And that's how it started. It was thinking about how self-involvement turns into narcissism and how narcissism turns into isolation, and then how isolation turns into self-involvement again, and how what a vicious cycle that can become. So then I just started thinking about different situations where people would ostensibly look like they were doing something, but in fact they were checking their own reflection out. And you'd see it perhaps on Saturday afternoon with people window shopping, half the time they're actually just looking at their own reflection. Then this restaurant opened, and it was a big deal at the time because it had glass tables, and I was like, oh, you can watch yourself."
Which is always how I interpreted the song. I just never quite got the part about the glass table.

TMe

You might want to check out the "Wicked Beats" DVD, or look for samples of it on YouTube.

As for various styles of Ska, that's a messy can of worms to open. As soon as you start trying to talk about Ska, the purists usually crawl out from under their rocks, screaming "That's not Ska!"

It's like Grandpa constantly screaming "Those aren't my kids!"

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Checkout "The Specials" British Ska band
I also liked the Specials collaboration with Desmond Dekker - "King of Kings".

Bad Manners are also a pioneering ska band that begs your attention. And you should reach back to the Skatelites to see where ska drumming originated.

GJS