SJC custom

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Well, they are mahogany. That's a nice warm, round sounding wood. The gold is a bit much for me, but that's just me. Wouldnt stop me from playing them.

The price is nice. Keep in mind it's only the 3 drums though. If you dont already have hardware to use with it the price goes up.

someguy01

Well, they are mahogany. That's a nice warm, round sounding wood. The gold is a bit much for me, but that's just me. Wouldnt stop me from playing them.

The price is nice. Keep in mind it's only the 3 drums though. If you dont already have hardware to use with it the price goes up.
Oh I have all the accoutrements, just curious about the manufacturer themselves, I know nothing about them. Plus, for $500, unless the hardware is total crap I don't think I could go wrong.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Oh I have all the accoutrements, just curious about the manufacturer themselves, I know nothing about them. Plus, for $500, unless the hardware is total crap I don't think I could go wrong.
Me either. There is some lug splay. That's not an issue other than visual. The floor tom legs and spurs look like quality units. The hoops are thin. Some dont like that, some do.

"made by overseas manufacturing partners"... that one puts me a little on edge about buying them.
I dont worry about that. I used to work in manufacturing building PA speakers for multiple companies. Everything is outsourced anymore. For example, I built German speakers out of Finnish birch, German woofers and horn drivers, inputs and xovers from Mexico, hard parts from USA and China, plastic from Italy. That's just one example. Oh yeah, the work was done by folks from numerous different countries, and at times had 3 different languages being spoken in the plant.

As long as I did my job (I ran the floor with 1 other person) and taught new people how to do their job correctly, it didnt matter where anything or anyone came from.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
"made by overseas manufacturing partners"...that one puts me a little on edge about buying them.
I got a chance to talk to those guys at NAMM one year & they're pretty straight up about what's exclusively made here & what's outsourced.
If you get their flagship Custom Shop kit made in Massachusetts, you'll pay for what you want them to build.
Outsourced kits are pre-selected shell sizes & made to SJC's specs (like any other drum maker outsourcing I suspect).

They have a good family of players & their kits can take the beating. I just can't see paying two grand for 3 drums. They're good, but not that good.

someguy01

They have a good family of players & their kits can take the beating. I just can't see paying two grand for 3 drums. They're good, but not that good.
Fair enough. I like cheap kits (don't ask, it's long and convoluted) so I've been looking to add to my used collection with some new stuff. The original posting was about the $500 kit, and I was also looking at Tama. Specifically the Hyper-drive Duo ( it's the 20" kick that caught my eye) or a Superstar Classic (it's available in an "in your face" tangerine). TAMA: Pros - well constructed, solid hardware, Adam Deitch plays 'em Cons - Lars plays them too :ROFLMAO:

someguy01

I'd actually really like to hear your rationale
The Cliff's Notes version: I have an aversion to paying for things, especially high end things. I have repaired high end things for decades and I'm not convinced any of it is actually worth the extra expenditure. With drums, in the 80s you needed to spend some $$ because anything inexpensive was crap (cheap shells, cheaper hardware, no attention to detail). Since the mid 90s, mid level kits have many of the same features as their more expensive brethren and with proper tuning and head selection sound just as good. Honestly, I thank DW for producing the pdp line and forcing everyone's hand. I had a CB percussion kit that cost $250 new and with careful head selection and some inventive muffling, it sounded amazing. I even got asked if it was <insert name> drums because they sounded awesome.
Plus, no one in their right mind gigs with something that cost more than their car.

IBitePrettyHard

Who knows what about these kits? Seem quite reasonably priced, pics look good. Anyone have experience with them? Pros/cons?
I was looking at this ridiculous thing, because, well, it's ridiculous and right up my alley:
I won't sugar coat it, I think SJC is a pretentious drum company run by Chads that puts finishes and image above everything else.

They're the MTV or Pimp My Ride of drums. Their target audience are teens, punk rockers, hipsters and skateboarders.

They pay almost ZERO attention to the actual sound of their drums...their construction, what makes them stand out sound-wise.
Their marketing material is composed of nothing but "WHOAAA THAT FINISH IS SICK!".

Watch any of their demos on Youtube, they are easily the worst sounding (official) demos on the entire internet because of their heavy use of compression and EQ.

As for that gold drum kit, I don't think it's that 'sick'. I would lean more towards obnoxious.

Get any other brand instead. There are SO MANY other options that are better! Then you don't have to pay for all the nonsense marketing that's baked into the price of an SJC.

But hey, I'm a grown ass man. Don't listen to me if you're into that sort of thing. Get off my lawn.

someguy01

I won't sugar coat it, I think SJC is a pretentious drum company run by Chads that puts finishes and image above everything
This is actually what I was after, an honest assessment. Like I said, I dont know anything about them, but your comment does follow them getting recognition from the Vans/Warped Tour. Thank you.
And i was totally all about the obnoxious colour because I love ridiculous finishes that no one would actually want. I also like the Tama tangerine burst.

IBitePrettyHard

This is actually what I was after, an honest assessment. Like I said, I dont know anything about them, but your comment does follow them getting recognition from the Vans/Warped Tour. Thank you.
And i was totally all about the obnoxious colour because I love ridiculous finishes that no one would actually want. I also like the Tama tangerine burst.
I can help you narrow it down.

Are you looking for short stack toms specifically? How many pieces, what sizes are you interested in. What's your budget?

And when it comes to finishes, there's nothing wrong with going with something flashy. It's all personal preference!

someguy01

I can help you narrow it down.

Are you looking for short stack toms specifically? How many pieces, what sizes are you interested in. What's your budget?

And when it comes to finishes, there's nothing wrong with going with something flashy. It's all personal preference!
Oh I just have a love for cheap kits. I already own too many (just ask my wife) but I still can't help but look at more. I am half-assed looking for a kit with a 20" kick. Never had one, always played a 22" and I just wanna try it out. I also have a hankerin' for some mahogany shells for that deep, woody tone.
Seems like it might be a Gretsch Catalina for the cheap mahogany, given what I've now heard about SJC.

IBitePrettyHard

Oh I just have a love for cheap kits. I already own too many (just ask my wife) but I still can't help but look at more. I am half-assed looking for a kit with a 20" kick. Never had one, always played a 22" and I just wanna try it out. I also have a hankerin' for some mahogany shells for that deep, woody tone.
Seems like it might be a Gretsch Catalina for the cheap mahogany, given what I've now heard about SJC.
If you want mahogany at a budget price, you definitely want a Gretsch Catalina Club. Phenomenal sounding drums for the price. They even have an eye-catching finish too. I would never have a Blue Satin Flame finish on a larger kit, but for some reason I really like it on the bop and 20" sizes.

20" bass drum.
https://www.drumcenternh.com/gretsch-catalina-club-3-piece-shell-pack-w-20bd-blue-satin-flame

If you haven't seen it already.

acsunda

The Cliff's Notes version: I have an aversion to paying for things, especially high end things. I have repaired high end things for decades and I'm not convinced any of it is actually worth the extra expenditure. With drums, in the 80s you needed to spend some $$ because anything inexpensive was crap (cheap shells, cheaper hardware, no attention to detail). Since the mid 90s, mid level kits have many of the same features as their more expensive brethren and with proper tuning and head selection sound just as good. Honestly, I thank DW for producing the pdp line and forcing everyone's hand. I had a CB percussion kit that cost $250 new and with careful head selection and some inventive muffling, it sounded amazing. I even got asked if it was <insert name> drums because they sounded awesome.
Plus, no one in their right mind gigs with something that cost more than their car.
Man, I like dig your philosophy. Past a certain price point (say $200-$300 new), it’s ALL about heads and tuning.