Size matters. Which is more important: girth or length?

Lee-Bro

If you have an alternate bass drum that is smaller than your regularly used bass drum, which measurement were you/are you more concerned about being smaller?

When selecting a 2nd bass drum for tighter spaces, are more concerned about clearance/space in front of the bass drum or taking up less space from side to side?

I play a 22x18 and have a 20x14 set up @ the band room. I've noticed the difference in setup from 22 to 20 isn't as great as 18 to 14. Combined overall, it's a significantly smaller drum. BUT, if I was going to change ONLY 1 dimension, I'd go to a 22x14 rather than a 20x18 (which just looks yucky to me).

Front-to-back length determines how much space you save. If you have a 26” bass drum, the width doesn’t matter that much because you’re a part of that width as well as any cymbals or toms. But front-to-back is critical if you’re saving space.

And for the longest time I was convinced I needed to shrink both dimensions. But after the using the 20x14, I've realized I haven't really shrunk my lateral footprint. Longitudinal is definitely different.

So now I'm thinking I should add a 22x14 to the DW shell bank (and a 20x14 as originally planned).

And for the longest time I was convinced I needed to shrink both dimensions. But after the using the 20x14, I've realized I haven't really shrunk my lateral footprint. Longitudinal is definitely different.

So now I'm thinking I should add a 22x14 to the DW shell bank (and a 20x14 as originally planned).
Or the 20x12 of the Frequent Flyer if you really want to save space.

Front-to-back length determines how much space you save. If you have a 26” bass drum, the width doesn’t matter that much because you’re a part of that width as well as any cymbals or toms. But front-to-back is critical if you’re saving space.
This is an issue I have as my Gretsch is a 22x20 (deep). I like the 22 diameter as it fits in most drum bags & vehicles. The 20" depth can irritate me as many drum risers are wider than they are longer.
I've never had the front stick out & can adjust accordingly so it's never been a problem.

If you have an alternate bass drum that is smaller than your regularly used bass drum, which measurement were you/are you more concerned about being smaller?

When selecting a 2nd bass drum for tighter spaces, are more concerned about clearance/space in front of the bass drum or taking up less space from side to side?

I play a 22x18 and have a 20x14 set up @ the band room. I've noticed the difference in setup from 22 to 20 isn't as great as 18 to 14. Combined overall, it's a significantly smaller drum. BUT, if I was going to change ONLY 1 dimension, I'd go to a 22x14 rather than a 20x18 (which just looks yucky to me).

You need to be more concerned with length than height. I'm pretty sure I can fit my Ludwig CM's in downbeat sizes in a Cracker Jack box if I needed to. If you play really big cymbals, it may not matter much.

I wouldn't go 20 x 12 unless you absolutely have to have that size for space concerns.

I have a 20 x 12 and a 20 x 14 and those 2 inches makes a hell of a difference, with the 20 x 14 being the more desirable tone to my ear

I disagree. My 24x14 takes up more space than my 16x14. There is no room to set any toms up if using the 24" kick, hence the reason I needed to buy a tiny kit. Space is not just determined front to back for all. I'm in a small corner, all dimensions matter.

I'll second that, and say the 20x12 Frequent Flyer has a huge sound for a relatively small kick drum.

I disagree. My 24x14 takes up more space than my 16x14. There is no room to set any toms up if using the 24" kick, hence the reason I needed to buy a tiny kit. Space is not just determined front to back for all. I'm in a small corner, all dimensions matter.
I still say you’re front-to-back is the same. If you hAd a 24x18 then your taking up even more space. Nobody backs baby into a corner 😉

It’s determined by space between my legs- so if 16, 22 or 24 in my feet fall on pedals same distance apart. I have a small practice space now and set up my 16 and I was surprised my 24 fit about same though toms higher and crammed in. But it is too loud for space so back to 16. So the space between your legs can handle a huge range of girth and length.

Do you have a sound sampler of that? I've never played one. I have a 20x14 Gretsch square badge kick but it sounds fat & huge compared to my 20x16 New Classic kick. My 22x18 kicks sound big & punchy. My fav is my RB 22x14. Bonzo lite.

This is an issue I have as my Gretsch is a 22x20 (deep). I like the 22 diameter as it fits in most drum bags & vehicles. The 20" depth can irritate me as many drum risers are wider than they are longer.
I've never had the front stick out & can adjust accordingly so it's never been a problem.
$30 and you could be in 22x16 or 14 territory. Cut it!

I wouldn't go 20 x 12 unless you absolutely have to have that size for space concerns.

I have a 20 x 12 and a 20 x 14 and those 2 inches makes a hell of a difference, with 20 x 14 being the more desirable tone

Back