Sitting on the throne

Flamadiddle28

Hey guys!
I have a question about sitting on the drum throne. Well you see i have a tailbone which sticks out a little bit, which I was born with. Because of it I have trouble leaning back when sitting on chairs and stuff. My question is will sthis negatively affect my playing, especially bass drumming? And if so what should I do (buy a different seat...?)?
Thanks for any help!

Ham

It shouldn't effect your drumming, infact I sit at the very front of my throne, not sit back into it, it makes me feel like I am in a better posture to play the drums, and it has hindered my experience over the past 12 years.

toddmc

Gold Member
Unless you're doing heel up double bass and trying to get up to speed (myself and a lot of drummers have a tendency to lean back when playing this way) I don't see a problem.
I would recommend buying the comfiest throne you can find however to alleviate any discomfort you might have after sitting for long periods of time.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I play on a round pork pie, which has more than enough cushion for anybody. I sit on the front edge, as Ham mentioned, which leaves my feet positioned over the pedals properly.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I broke my tailbone when I was a kid and it never healed right so mine also sticks out a bit, and I have never had any issues sitting on a drum throne, no matter how high, low, forward, back, period of time, etc. You should be fine.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If you're searching for comfy thrones, don't forget to check out the thrones offered by Ford Drums - they're doing some innovative looks and cushiony materials. www.forddrums.com

Good luck!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Holy balls, Bob, at $300 that makes my Roc n Soc look downright cheap! lol I bet it would work well, though. Do you use one of these?
I haven't bought one yet but I tried one. It is without a doubt the most comfortable throne that I have ever tried.
My round Roc-N-Soc is pretty comfortable and so is my Tama First Chair but they do not compare to a Carmichael.
I am constantly searching for a used one.

Flamadiddle28

But wait I'm thinking of a new obstacle this brings about. I know I could bring the seat around to gigs/lessons etc. but what would I do in those situations when it wasn't available? Would I just tough it out?