Single Strokes Around The Drums

JT1

Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has tips on developing single stroke rolls, specifically for fills around the toms. I find that professionals have such clean, fast single strokes and was wondering how I should work towards that.

When I try to play fast single strokes around the toms I either lock up or hit the rims, and I've been working really hard at it without too much benefit. My single strokes are really the weakest part of my technique right now, as doubles and such are figured out.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
I had a problem a while back with this, if I was doing a standard 1 bar fill I could go round but I could never get the full 4 notes on the floor tom for some reason. Also I find I still lock up from time to time and I've come to realise my problem. When I'm relaxed at the kit I tend to play my hands from their relaxed position in terms of how far they are above the snare and this has been limiting my movement because I have my snare set quite low. So I now raise my arms higher and this makes it much easier to flick out the wrists for tom fills and everything else it really has increased my mobility around the kit.

I also found a year ago that my rolls were sloppy, my right hand was strong and my left would just fumble around, I could get quite fast doing that but I soon realised that I couldn't do it for very long, so I set my metronome at 100 bpm and worked up in 10bpm increments after that until I could play rolls properly and for longer. I suggest you try the same thing until you are really comfortable at higher speeds. If you jump in fast, you develop bad technique so start slow (i'm one to talk though cause I'm very impatient).

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd also like to add that in order to play good singles around the drums, first you have to be able to play good singles on just the snare. I am still trying to get past that stage. If you can't do fast clean even sounding singles on just the snare, how are they going to sound good while trying to add another difficulty? I've been concentrating on singles for about 4 years now and I'm still not at the point where I'm satisfied with them enough to try and get them going around the kit, but that's just me.

Number Two

One exercise that my teacher recently recommended me, that I like, is one dealing mainly with progression of note values. You start with quarters at 60bpm, triplet quarters, eighths, triplet eighths, sixteenths, then five up through twelve (32nd triplets) per beat. Yes, even elevens. I'm sure you shudder at the thought as I did. Anyway, go all the way up and come back down. Obviously, as with any other exercise, try it also with left hand leading, and slowly up your tempo when confident.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'd also like to add that in order to play good singles around the drums, first you have to be able to play good singles on just the snare. I am still trying to get past that stage. If you can't do fast clean even sounding singles on just the snare, how are they going to sound good while trying to add another difficulty? I've been concentrating on singles for about 4 years now and I'm still not at the point where I'm satisfied with them enough to try and get them going around the kit, but that's just me.
You've lost me Larry......I've listened to your "Ridiculous Guitar" thread (which I absolutely loved btw) and could swear I heard some very sweet sounding single stroke triplet fills......amongst others. Not only do you play singles round the kit, you play them very well my friend. I can only assume you're referring to blistering fast singles here?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea man, blistering fast cobham singles, which I probably would never use except for solos, but being able to play them will make anything slower sound great hopefully. Slow singles around the kit, most guys can play them without too much trouble. I'm talking like 900 beats a minute type rolls, which breaks down to like 15 strokes a second. I can work up to that speed after about a half hour but to just be able to hit them immediately is beyond me.

Last edited:

pcjazzdrums

Thanks to everyone for the replies, this has really helped me out and I'm working on the exercises that you've shown me.

I guess we're all in this together, constantly trying to get better. Good luck to everyone.

albertpaul68

Okay, in this segment I'm going to concentrate on the single stroke roll, which again, is a fill not a beat. And, again, a fill is something you do to break the monotony of a beat or add an assist to a song. Now the single stroke roll is something that takes a long time to master and a long time to get to go like perfect smoothly. And, which I am by far, I haven't mastered, so everyday I'm learning. But, what it is, is there's no triplet and there's no actual (drumming demo) no bouncing of the stick, it's all single strokes, hence single stroke roll. So, just to do it kind of slow, that's the best way to practice it, of course is to start slow. And, so I'm just going to start with a regular beat on the ride and then just go into a regular single stroke roll around the drums and then we'll speed it up. So, here's an example of a slow single stroke roll. (Drumming demo) So, that's your single strokes. Single strokes, really slow, really easy and now they're really fun when they're really fast. Of course, practice it slow, get it solid and then learn it and then practice it, practice it, practice it and then once you speed it up, hopefully it's solid, it'll be there for you. So once again I'm going to play this song, Endless Summer from the Blue Island Tribe and at the very end of that I will single stroke roll that I do. So, hopefully, I can do it for you right now. :)

links of london
links of london
links of london
links of london

Last edited: