Single Pedal

C.M. Jones

I've always considered technique to be more of a factor than equipment. Many modern pedals, of course, feature technologies that might enhance efficiency in some way, but a skilled drummer is just as adept on a vintage Ludwig Speed King as he is on a Pearl Demon Drive. A well-trained foot is the best pedal on the market.

4piece4peace

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently upgrading from my DW 3000 and considering the Tama Speed Cobra. I'm looking to reduce fatigue a bit during a fairly relentless set. Not going to be able to compare too many personally due to my location and lockdown. Something with nice rebound and smooth action. I usually play heel up and pretty aggressively.

C.M. Jones

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently upgrading from my DW 3000 and considering the Tama Speed Cobra. I'm looking to reduce fatigue a bit during a fairly relentless set. Not going to be able to compare too many personally due to my location and lockdown. Something with nice rebound and smooth action. I usually play heel up and pretty aggressively.
I use Pearl pedals as a rule, but I've sampled a few DWs over the years and have liked them all. If I weren't so committed to Pearl, DW would be my alternate choice.

On the point of reducing fatigue, Dave Weckl is an advocate of strap-driven rather than chain-driven pedals. He claims that chains are too hard on the body and that he can more easily feather the bass drum with a strap. If your style is more aggressive, however, the power a chain provides might be helpful. I've used chain pedals for a very long time, and fatigue has never been an issue. Everyone's anatomy is different, of course. Also, adjusting the tension of your pedal might reduce fatigue in some manner.

EricT43

I've used DW9000 for a long time, and recently got one of the new Yamaha FP9 pedals. The Yamaha feels much lighter to me than the DW, and I was able to get through a 3-set gig with very little fatigue. That being said, I think those who say it comes down to technique are correct. Any reasonably decent pedal out of the box should be good enough if you work on it. I heard a story about Todd Sucherman, when asked about what pedals he used, said something like "What pedals?! Man, I'm wearing cowboy boots!"

SYMBOLIC DEATH

OP: What bpm are you playing at, and for how long? The pedal and technique are two things, but your physical fitness comes into play as well. Also, one person's "pretty aggressively," is another person's warm up. I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to get an idea of what you're doing.

4piece4peace

I understand. Mostly fast paced punk rock. Lot's of doubles and triples. Nirvana type stuff as well such as Territorial Pissings etc. No blast beats or thrash. My foot is fast but I do need to work on endurance for sure.

Good Karma

You won't have any regrets with the 910, I love this pedal

Fritz Frigursson

Modern pedals should be able to support any type of playing so I'd just get any pedal from a reputable brand. In particular I swear by Tama's Iron Cobra 900 and DW 9000. They're the best pedals I've tried.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I’m sure there are some pedal with mechanical advantage or just more smooth but the speed and agility comes from player. Since some of greatest players had simple pedals with none of advancements of today. You can buy all kinds of drum sticks but you still do all the work.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Oddly enough, mostly all of the pedals I've played (and I think I've tried them all by now) feel the same. They are all based on the old Camco/Gretsch design from the 50s/60s. You could argue the Ludwig Speed King does feel and handle differently (this is where the direct drive devotees would go), but in the end, if you "upgrade" from your DW3000 to a Tama Cobra, you won't notice a huge difference in how it feels. Heck, when Jojo Mayer made that 2005 Modern Drummer Festival video, he was using a single chained Pearl 'something' pedal that probably wasn't built any different from your existing DW3000. And remember John Bonham did all that stuff on a Speed King. I think if you wanted to alter your DW3000 to feel quicker, try replacing the sprocket and chain with a cam and a strap instead - the pedal will feel lighter and quicker, and will feel like the beater is accelerating into the head because of the cam.

As far as your technique goes, you should probably try different seat heights too - there's a fine line between sitting too low and you having to bring up your leg to operate the pedal, and sitting high enough where you can dance on the pedal to make it fly. But between the two pedals you've mentioned, there isn't that big of a difference to warrant the purchase.

C.M. Jones

As far as your technique goes, you should probably try different seat heights too - there's a fine line between sitting too low and you having to bring up your leg to operate the pedal, and sitting high enough where you can dance on the pedal to make it fly. But between the two pedals you've mentioned, there isn't that big of a difference to warrant the purchase.
I second the suggestion on seat height. And there's really no formula to be followed. The right height differs from player to player. Regardless, finding your ideal elevation works wonders for pedal mechanics.

notvinnie

I second the suggestion on seat height. And there's really no formula to be followed. The right height differs from player to player. Regardless, finding your ideal elevation works wonders for pedal mechanics.
Height of the throne will also affect distance from pedals. Higher throne means you will be sitting closer. Lower => farther.