Single Ladies- Beyonce Cover

PeteN

Silver Member
Sweet playing! I like your style and you play with energy and passion. You should post more cover vids for sure.

What's your setup...brand and model of drums, rack tom heads, etc....

burn-4

Thanks man that's really nice of you to say. Yeah I'm working on it haha just takes a while to film and process etc.

Set up;

Yamaha Absolute; 10x7 birch, 12x8 birch, 14x13 maple and 22x18 maple kick.
Emperors over ambassadors on the toms, ps3 on the kick.

Snare is a 13x6.5 Yamaha sensitive maple :)

richkenyon

Silver Member
Great vid! LOVED the fast tom rolls - really clean.

It's a great tune, one I've wanted to play with my "mortgage band"!

Kit sound was lovely too.

burn-4

Great vid! LOVED the fast tom rolls - really clean.

It's a great tune, one I've wanted to play with my "mortgage band"!

Kit sound was lovely too.
Thanks dude, yeah it's a great kit!

Hey Ben....are your toms tuned real low? I like how they sound!
Not particularly I don't think- it's what sounded natural for each drum, any higher they would have been too 'pingy' for my personal taste and any lower they would be too dead/ flabby
I tried to get into that 'sweet spot' but without them ringing out for years on end as this can be a bit over bearing sometimes I find.
Obviously they have been EQ'd slightly as well after I recorded them.

Top head is lower in pitch than the bottom so it gives you that slight pitch bend which I like but I honestly didn't spend hours tuning them nor do I rate myself as a tuner. I didn't even bother going round each lug and matching the note I just basically messed with the drum until it sounded good. With a kit like the Yammy and some 'worn in' heads it basically tunes itself I find.

PeteN

Silver Member
yeah...I dont care for dead/flabby either and yours certainly sounded like an optimal low tuning. I was tuning higher for a while because I like the feel better but a lower tuning just makes me play better...i think the sound gets me in the right mood.

You definitely have a good kit too...I'm sure those yammies are on cruise control when it comes to ease of tuning :)

I love to play to the pop dance style music as well, now that I think of it most drummers that play to that music tune on the lower side too

burn-4

yeah...I dont care for dead/flabby either and yours certainly sounded like an optimal low tuning. I was tuning higher for a while because I like the feel better but a lower tuning just makes me play better...i think the sound gets me in the right mood.

You definitely have a good kit too...I'm sure those yammies are on cruise control when it comes to ease of tuning :)

I love to play to the pop dance style music as well, now that I think of it most drummers that play to that music tune on the lower side too
a lot of those guys use pinstripes as well as it gives you that definitive attack sound- when you're playing gospel style pop I suppose attack is the most important part of the sound otherwise it would sound really muddy with everything ringing out forever.
I honestly didn't think of them as low but now you mention it they probably are on the 'low' side