single flanged hoops

sonnygrabber

I've looked into this in the search area and have only had a little luck as to folks' opinions on single flanged hoops.

So what is the consensus, embrace or avoid them?

I really think that aesthetically they look pretty cool, but are they practical? Do they go out of tune quickly? And do the claws take the beating that they need to? I suppose there is a reason for triple flanged and die-cast to be the industry standard, but can anyone give us some first-hand insights?

Cheers!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've owned a 1921 Leedy NOB snare that had straight hoops and a modern Pearl bronze snare that had their beefed up version of a single flange hoop.

In all cases a lighter hoop will give a more open and resonant sound; whether or not that is actually the sound you're looking for is up to personal opinion.

I never had a tuning issue, and claw durability really depends on if we're talking about vintage 80-100 year old drums or modern versions. The older claws are prone to fail, so I certainly wouldn't crank up the tension on a vintage drum too high, especially if it only had 6 lugs. The modern Pearl drum has really beefy die cast claws so those could take a lot more abuse before giving up I'm sure.

As far as "embrace or avoid," I can't really say one way or another. Personally, I think they look cool, and if you like a very open snare sound, they're one way to get it. They also eat sticks and if you're looking to buy a complete set of modern parts to retro fit a snare they're wildly expensive.

sonnygrabber

Thanks mate!

I was actually looking at a 13 by 7 WorldMax brass snare. Modern stuff used as a players drum. I have no need for a vintage drum as I would only just play the snot out of it, (not much of a collector).

I would probably use it as a second snare, (set up on the left) as I'm pretty happy with my Brady, but thought I might like a higher pitched ringy, metallic sounding type thing. Probably used mostly with the snares turned off as a Reggae kinda accent thing.

This thing may be the go as an open sound would be what I'm looking for I think.

Much obliged!

uniongoon

Gold Member
recently built this Canarywood Stave snare, on it I used these single flange hoops which are very thick and have pretty unique hoop clips. The clips are pricey, $3.30 each, but the hoops feel and sound much like a die cast hoop. Very solid construction, I like them alot. The clips stick up a little, some player may find they get in the way a bit.