Single braced VS. Double braced cymbal stands

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I'm also a fan of single braced stands. I have some Premier 200 series stands (the cheapest model in the 90's) that I've been using for 19 years now, hundreds (thousands?) of gigs, always rock solid. My school has five Yamaha kits, all with 6 and 7 series single braced stands, all rock solid.

If you're packing three cymbal stands, a snare and a hihat, the weight reduction of single braced stands becomes significant.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I'm also a fan of single braced stands. I have some Premier 200 series stands (the cheapest model in the 90's) that I've been using for 19 years now, hundreds (thousands?) of gigs, always rock solid. My school has five Yamaha kits, all with 6 and 7 series single braced stands, all rock solid.

If you're packing three cymbal stands, a snare and a hihat, the weight reduction of single braced stands becomes significant.
I've taken the other approach and actually use less stuff. I've done gigs with my 22" K Light Ride on one heavy duty straight stand, and 17" hi hats on a heavy duty hi hat stand. Weight problem solved!

crispycritters

I use two sport bags - hi-hat, 2 cymbal stands and add - on boom in one, 1 straight stand, snare stand, single pedal (in case) and throne in the other. Because they are soft material you can pack one on top of the other and they take up no more room than a trap case.

My hardware is all double braced - a mix of Tama IC, Road Pro and Pearl 900 series - because I split the load each bag weighs less than 30 pounds. The bags I use are no-name brands, because they are not associated with musical equipment you can buy them for peanuts at discount/charity shops.

An extra trip to my car is tedious, but I prefer that to a back injury. I have never been tempted to buy or use a dedicated hardware case. They may have wheels but at some point you have to drag them up stairs or lift them. Not for me.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
This just about my favorite drum topic because I love single-braced stands: Yamaha, Tama, and Gibraltar (even some older Mapex and Pearl). Most drummers would be fine with good single-braced stands, even with drums and more than one cymbal on them. It is somewhat market hype that made many feel as though drummers need double-braced stands. But as said above, if you need to put stuff high and/or at odd angles, maybe double-braced stands are needed. Peace and goodwill.
I agree with these sentiments. The only double-braced stand I have is my Yamaha 700 series snare stand.. everything else I've ever bought has been single-braced.. and in the present day, in efforts to curtail heavy HW bags and for a little bit of looks, I now use flat-based stands. I'm not going to go mount 4 cymbals and two toms off them but they fit their operation perfectly as cymbal and hi-hat stands.

Bloomdido

I use a mix of single and double-braced stands. I am trying to cut down on cymbals but have moved to a two floor-tom kit so it ain't easy. I am also experimenting with various clamp options running two cymbals off of one stand. I wonder why rack bars can't be run in to a socket mounted on the bass drum to save on a bit of metal.

I now use canvas tool bags to individually 'wrap' stands, booms and clamps so I don't get confused as to what goes with what. It also means I can combine weights rather than having to carry one very heavy bag of stands.

felonious69

Not really an answer but just a comment. Since I first posted my "intro" here, I have found out that you folks are AWESOME! I just bought my first drum set and was wondering about this question. Typed in a general google search and here I am again.
You folks are informative and helpful to an extreme! (A good thing!)
Thanks again.

wraub

I think a fair point is whether or not the stands will be moved, or mostly stay put.
I don't intend to gig on drums, so my kit lives at home and, save for one all my cymbal stands are double-braced.

If I were gigging regularly, I'd likely be looking for the lightest sturdy option I could find that I could afford. It's what I did with my bass gear.