Sina Doering

You state ..."since it would be dishonest to characterize her as being on the DW list".

I have no idea what you are getting at. There is nothing nefarious going on with my posting. I am not making the "dishonest" characterization that you are suggesting.
Ian Paice posted a video to YT that I thought was appropriately topical to the subject of this thread. Nothing more: nothing less. Since Mr Paice himself has been honoured by DW as a drummer worthy of their "Rock Legend" designation, I simply saw no harm in posting his impressions of Ms Sina.
I did not start this thread. I am just a music fan. As for the grand conspiracy that you seem to be suggesting...I am sure that the forum moderators would move this thread to a more appropriate area if they felt such a move was warranted.

You have to ask Bernhard's opinion. Peace and goodwill. Reminds me of Shawshank Redemption...

Well my apologies but it's been over a decade of people misunderstanding the DW list (and it changing-it's been truncated due to changes in copyright laws, etc) and it gets a bit inane with all the threads ad infinitum posing the same questions over and over and over-why isn't so and so on the list thread. The list use to be much longer so there is a story to the evolution of the DW Drummers list. I know it shouldn't bother me-but I was satisfied with the answer long ago and it keeps getting repeated over and over. It's an infinity loop. I love her videos and that one was smoking BTW. But that has nothing to do with the issue-"why isn't so and so on the list". That's my point-nothing against Sina. If someone were posting a bunch of Bozzio videos in similar vein likely moderators would change location to prevent any hint of being on list (since apparently that was an issue)-so that's my concern is people may inadvertently promote something the actual person wouldn't support. I have no idea if Sina has any interest of being on DW list. Have you caught Sarah Thawyer phenomenal playing-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRIJeDLpms

Last edited:
Thanks for the link...

This, imo, is an impressive display, and a great performance. Nothing against Sina, but... yeah.

Well my apologies but it's been over a decade of people misunderstanding the DW list (and it changing-it's been truncated due to changes in copyright laws, etc) and it gets a bit inane with all the threads ad infinitum posing the same questions over and over and over-why isn't so and so on the list thread. The list use to be much longer so there is a story to the evolution of the DW Drummers list. I know it shouldn't bother me-but I was satisfied with the answer long ago and it keeps getting repeated over and over. It's an infinity loop. I love her videos and that one was smoking BTW. But that has nothing to do with the issue-"why isn't so and so on the list". That's my point-nothing against Sina. If someone were posting a bunch of Bozzio videos in similar vein likely moderators would change location to prevent any hint of being on list (since apparently that was an issue)-so that's my concern is people may inadvertently promote something the actual person wouldn't support. I have no idea if Sina has any interest of being on DW list. Have you caught Sarah Thawyer phenomenal playing-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRIJeDLpms

Last edited:
Sina won't be going on tour. She will start studying jazz and pop at the ArtEZ University in Arnhem (Netherlands) from September 1, 2020. Sina will then live in Arnhem and will only be home on weekends.

Regardless of the whole "sexist" comments, these videos ARE designed to highlight her gender.

I watch a ton of YT videos. All sorts of drummers. Men and women. I'm curious if you could explain how her vids are designed to highlight her gender. I'm not instigating. I'm just not seeing it the same way I guess? If it's Meytal, then yeah. She used to wear clothes that would obviously show off her attributes. The camera "person" would get certain camera angles--showing off, her.

But in Sina's vids it doesn't seem the same. I'm just curious how they highlight her gender. Trying NOT to be argumentative. Hope it doesn't come across that way.

To me as a fan of her music and what she is doing as a teaching moment re-creating history in her way I have enjoyed her music for over two years I’ve never been disappointed I cannot wait for her to go on a tour But she’s going back to school to learn to play jazz that will improve her drumming skills the song is that she covers is a recuperation in history that to me is truly wonderful

Thanks for the link...

This, imo, is an impressive display, and a great performance. Nothing against Sina, but... yeah.

I just discovered Sarah Thawer, and yeah. She's really fucking good.

As someone who is really big on promoting female drummers and giving them a fair shake and solid shout-out....I'm almost led to believe that the, er, for lack of better term, "online social media machine," is pushing the wrong female drummers, if that makes sense. Like, we all know about Meytal, and Sina, while perfectly competent and a solid drummer, is really sold on her age and "cute" factor, *but* whose drumming skills are pretty normal and pedestrian. Whereas you have drummers like Sarah Thawer or Heather Thomas, both whom I just recently discovered in the past month, who are insanely fucking good but hardly get shout-outs on the online social media machine. You look at their youtube view counts and they're pathetically low. Like what the hell?

Last edited:
A lot of followers (and a lot of clicks) are purchased outright, or manipulated as bots. There is much to not like or trust about YT imo.

I just discovered Sarah Thawer, and yeah. She's really fucking good.

As someone who is really big on promoting female drummers and giving them a fair shake and solid shout-out....I'm almost led to believe that the, er, for lack of better term, "online social media machine," is pushing the wrong female drummers, if that makes sense. Like, we all know about Meytal, and Sina, while perfectly competent and a solid drummer, is really sold on her age and "cute" factor, and whose drumming skills are pretty normal and pedestrian. Whereas you have drummers like Sarah Thawer or Heather Thomas, both whom I just recently discovered in the past month, who are insanely fucking good but hardly get shout-outs on the online social media machine. You look at their youtube view counts and they're pathetically low. Like what the hell?

Those videos are not at all “designed” to highlight her gender, thats a completely ridiculous thing to say..

Or is she supposed to play drums while wearing a thick winter jacket or something like that..?

Tell that also to Colaiuta, Weckl, Lang and pretty much all metal drummers..

How dare they wear shirts that show their muscles, etc....??????

Like i said before, she is not an exceptional worldclass player, but she plays decent drums and she inspires each day 1000’s and 1000’s of people in a positive way with that..

To me, in this case thats enough and a whole lot more than most drummers who criticize her can say about themselves..

Oh, and btw, i challenge everyone who criticizes her to show a video of them playing a better and more convinced version of that REO Speedwagon song than hers..

Looking forward to see that..?

Or is she supposed to play drums while wearing a thick winter jacket or something like that..?

Funnily enough, Sina HAS performed in full winter attire. She has a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. The following video was her way of responding to a boor who suggested that she should perform in her underwear. She wasn't having any of it and instead let her drums do all the talking in this reply : )

Last edited:
I think the only way to settle this is a drum-off like with Sarah and Senri LOL. There is just to many insanely good drummers now-any gender.
. This could be a thread with all the insanely good female drummers now-which there are many. In many ways it's sad that things are qualified by "gender" part of structural discrimination-like with ancestry/ethnicity. Though music has been a venue that many social barriers broken earlier than other professions so I think it's odd all the hoopla about female drummers this current age (given female drummers have always been since 1930s and I remember many since 70s). Maybe all drummers should be placed in a opaque bubble so no one can see them and be jaded by their clothes or that bugger hanging out their nose LOL. .

Last edited:
It’s time for women to take a little bit more space on the musical scene. Why, oh why, it’s always a game of comparison (Sarah Tawer is better than Sina, bla, bla, bla...). Maybe yes, maybe no... In what way, what style, context!

Sina is an example for my young students, so what!

Here in Québec, we have Emmanuelle Caplette too...

The thing I like about this video is their sense of fun... They seem to really be enjoying the moment, and playing with spirit, with nods and smiles to each other.
Great to watch, and hear.

I think the only way to settle this is a drum-off like with Sarah and Senri LOL. There is just to many insanely good drummers now-any gender.
. This could be a thread with all the insanely good female drummers now-which there are many. In many ways it's sad that things are qualified by "gender" part of structural discrimination-like with ancestry/ethnicity. Though music has been a venue that many social barriers broken earlier than other professions so I think it's odd all the hoopla about female drummers this current age (given female drummers have always been since 1930s and I remember many since 70s). Maybe all drummers should be placed in a opaque bubble so no one can see them and be jaded by their clothes or that bugger hanging out their nose LOL. .

Back