Sina Doering

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Maybe you should make your case to Bernhard. I was just reading Anika Miles bio-no mention of any bands just she writes her own stuff on YT. Wonder why Cooper didn't make it here-he's a YT sensation too. I guess you don't have to have a long career and been with a bunch of bands like most of the bios? Hmm the times they are a changing. Shoot maybe I should get serious and make a goal of having a DW bio-or a Wikipedia article LOL.

speedytina

Quote from YT video description by Sina-Drums: "I felt really honored when I was asked to play the title song for the Musical 'Das Zauberschloss', composed by Uwe Mueller."

Last edited:

picodon

Silver Member
If we can get out of the girls and boys issue for a moment. I think she's a totally decent drummer and she can drum circles around me for sure. But what's the point of these vids? What is the point of reproducing Won't Get Fooled Again in a totally pro setup with 3 cams, just to make a totally clean and decent reproduction of a totally insane drummer? It's boring as ********.

This is how it used to look:

He can do it too, at 10 years old. He may be even tighter with less cymbals to distract him:
345k subscribers, mind you.
Is he a good drummer? Will he become much better even? For sure he will.
Can I listen to this for almost 9 minutes? No, sorry, got bored.

I prefer this:
At least it transmits some of the fun of the original version.

Edit: I also have a different concept of tribute. Is it a tribute if you play as if to say, yo Keith I can play your **** as well as you can? No - it would have been more respectful if she got injured and emergency landed the song even if it were obviously fake, and then came back as an epilogue from a hospital bed like "Mr Moon I deeply apologize for having tried to play your song", that would have been mighty grand, fun and respectful too.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Ok. This is an inane thread now. Mike Johnston (started drums at 5) has 151,800 followers. Benny Grieb, another German drummer, has 50, 248 followers. I don't think posting Youtube videos or a YT channel equates to anything to do with being a "noted" drummers (now you could argue they are a successful YT drummer-like Cobus, Cooper, etc. ). Plenty of par excellent drummers (play and teach) post on here with a small YT channel (because they aren't about promoting themselves through YT) . Many of them far superior to Sina's playing (sorry if that offends anyone but I'm sure plenty of pro drummers on here would agree). Casey Cooper has 2.23 million followers-probably way over 300 videos in his lifetime. He's going to Georgia State University (where I started my PhD studying olfaction in lobsters) and plays for their marching band. He's a business major so may follow a career with little to do with drumming (like the violin player for the Dixie Dregs went to the Medical college I was at). Sure Sina is a "solid drummer" and she is getting good exposure, but I'm not sure what point is being made?
She's good, building a career, so what else should we say?

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
If that last comment sounds curt-my apologies. But now, as usual, it makes me "Wonder" and want to hijack the thread to "How is a drummer measured in regard to fame". if a really stellar drummer isn't in a famous band would they get the same recognition? I'm sure there are some musicians in academics on here, as well as other forms of teacher/instructors. So like in US you start off as Assistant professor, then after so many years and ticking all the boxes of teaching, research and grants, public service, blah, blah, blah, blah you move up the chain to Associate-more time and box checking you move to Full Professor, and if very productive get get a "Distinction, Endowed, Regents Professor titles. In any trade in order to be a "master craftsman" takes time and box ticking to it seems. I guess things are evolving to don't worry about time or box checking? Plenty of people don't "see" Ringo as a very good drummer (not lighting that bomb) so if he was never a Beatle would we know him? Now he did have a successful career as a drummer before the Beatles-so no doubt he would have continued on-maybe had a YT channel with a few thousand people LOL :p PS-I love me some Ringo.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Drum covers to a recording don't impress me at all. The real test is to hear the drummer leading a real live band. The videos I've seen Sina do where she was leading a real band...no nits to pick. She's nailing it. I can tell music grabs her deep down.

I was wondering why this thread has been hanging around so long, now I see why. I've not heard of her before, so thanks for the heads up.

speedytina

Mea culpa...I've been truly puzzled at the reluctance of some to at least wish her well. Then it finally dawned on me that I, in fact, was the real cause of this reluctance. In my very first post, I used the phrase "good old boys club". It was in response to one particular commenter. But I was wrong to make it sound like a generalization. For that, I truly apologize to everyone. I realize now that it probably led to some of the reluctance I've witnessed. And for that, I also apologize to Sina. My intention was only to show that I am a fan, I have no skin in the game otherwise.
I have edited my first post to take out the parts that may have smacked of 'attitude' on my part. Again I'm just a fan who has followed her for a long time. I can assure you that she is a super nice person who has the utmost respect for other musicians and the music she performs. :)

speedytina

Yeah, she's good. And she can play with a live band. Cool.
But one major problem.
No self respecting drummer would play live on stage with an empty cymbal stand.

Okay, this nitpicking is truly getting out of hand. What, you couldn't find a mustard stain on her shirt to also complain about? She was not using her own drum kit. The kit was shared from another band that was also performing that same night. She was simply working with what she was left with.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Mea culpa...I've been truly puzzled at the reluctance of some to at least wish her well. Then it finally dawned on me that I, in fact, was the real cause of this reluctance. In my very first post, I used the phrase "good old boys club". It was in response to one particular commenter. But I was wrong to make it sound like a generalization. For that, I truly apologize to everyone. I realize now that it probably led to some of the reluctance I've witnessed. And for that, I also apologize to Sina. My intention was only to show that I am a fan, I have no skin in the game otherwise.
I have edited my first post to take out the parts that may have smacked of 'attitude' on my part. Again I'm just a fan who has followed her for a long time. I can assure you that she is a super nice person who has the utmost respect for other musicians and the music she performs. :)
Nice post Tina. I see why you are fan-I am to now. But the "Good ole boys club" did get me thinking about Youtube. I think I may be like SONY fighting for the walkman-winning the battle but losing the war. Looking at YT channels of renown drummers really didn't tell me anything-so I think I'm missing the point. YT can reach so many people, and "artistically" isn't limited. Like one person doing the split screen playing all the parts of the song-I love those. Entertainment is entertainment. Generationally (since I'm old lol) I like to see young people with such initiative, talent, and ambitions. We should all be encouraging the next generation and generally critiques here are more positive. So maybe everyone got off on wrong foot.. The writing language can be misread easy enough. If Sina keeps up at this pace I'll be the first to predict "one day" Bernhard may add her to the DW lineup. Hmm just reading up best female drummers-top 20, top 25, top 50 and few are mentioned here?? I haven't even heard of many of them so got some listening to do.

picodon

Silver Member
We should all be encouraging the next generation and generally critiques here are more positive. So maybe everyone got off on wrong foot..
I think it's the format of playing along with a recording that put at least me off. There is so much of that on yt. Here's a 3 years old drummer. This one is 103 years old. Here's a dog and even she can drum better than you do. You're not even supposed to enjoy, just be impressed by the multi angle magic. At least that's what I'm reading into it.

Sina doesn't need that, she might as well get rid of those playalong vids that make her look like she has things to prove, and keep the live performances. Just my humble two cents. But as she has 700k followers she's obviously doing something right, and I must be getting old ;)

Last edited:

speedytina

But as she has 700k followers she's obviously doing something right, and I must be getting old ;)
With all due respect to your opinions...
I'm 70 years old; prime of my life LOL. As for the point of all her videos. It's a business like any other. The more exposure generated, the bigger the customer pool for products and gigs. And besides, it's just great music. No different than any other musician. No harm in that. Whenever she does a "tribute" video to another drummer, it is done with genuine respect and love for that drummer. I've followed her long enough to know that for a fact.:)

Last edited:

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..In my very first post, I used the phrase "good old boys club". It was in response to one particular commenter. But I was wrong to make it sound like a generalization..

I see no reason for a mea culpa..

Especially regarding YT, when checking this forum a little more, you will notice that YT in this place is often used as an adjective, as in 'a YT drummer', which is never meant as a compliment (to say the least)..

Some people are just not getting that YT is just a medium, nothing more nothing less, and like on each medium there is a ton of crap and a ton of quality..

For more reference, you can also check (among many more) a thread like this..:

Reg Dewitt

Here's my view of Sina. To start, she plays a lot of good music, great rock that has been neglected for a long time. There is so much bad music out there it is nice to see someone having a big success with quality music.

As far as her talent goes, she is not a superstar drummer, but she is very good, and she plays just right for her style of music (I make comments at her site explaining she is not the best in the world, and other places that she is not terrible).

She is also great at collaborating with other quality musicians, and she knows how to make entertaining videos and relate to fans. All in all it is nice to see someone with talent having a success on youtube.

speedytina

A Blues project in honour of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones, performed by his grandson Joolz Jones, presented by music legend Donovan, and including Sina Doering on drums.
The 12 song series was recorded on July 3rd past, 50 years to the day of Brian Jones's passing.