Simply Red - Stars Groove

rhumbagirl

So I transcribed this guy's interpretation of the groove to "Stars" by Simply Red, and I'm having trouble getting the correct notation for sextuplets against 2/4:

Here's the transcription. Thanks ~

How about writing it in 16ths and make a note that they are swung? Or are there some notes on the second partial that I haven't caught?
By the way: Why did you notate as 2/4 and not as 4/4?

rhumbagirl

How about writing it in 16ths and make a note that they are swung? Or are there some notes on the second partial that I haven't caught?
By the way: Why did you notate as 2/4 and not as 4/4?
Thanks. Yeah, I thought about that, but it still presents a problem if you want to write drum fills that implement the full sextuplet notes (ie the "trip" in "1-trip-let-and-trip-let-2-trip-let-and-trip-let").
Why the 2/4 instead of 4/4? Just the staffs that I had ready to notate on. That's it. The horizontal space between quarter notes on the 2/4 staff seemed more ready to create sextuplet fills on or whatever my mind came up with.
And no, I don't hear any "trip" notes in the standard groove, so 16th note notation with "swung" clarification would work for that. But doesn't meet my needs for the reason stated. Thanks

rhumbagirl

Ah yes! The bar with the '3' above. Works fills perfectly. Thanks ~

I ran out of pencil battery so I couldn't finish the final touches like the accents, but looks a bit better :)

Last edited:

johnwesley

Silver Member
Quit worrying about it. Your playing is good. Maybe better than good. Just let it come out and if a mistakes made, so what? You think Krupa didn't make mistakes? Peart was perfect? Simon Phillips didn't have a bad day? Cobham is God's gift? Bonham never screwed up? Buddy played so damn fast that he didn't know if he missed a note or not. Lighten up dude, feel the music, blend with the band and have a good time. Oh. AND wash your hands when you're through.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Not ridiculing. Encouraging honest expression, rather than rote diligence. Expansion of technique is learned and how you learn is up to you. I teach young guys by making it simple. Listen and copy.
I'm not sure what free hippie drumming is although I'm sure I've done it having lived in San Francisco 1966 to 1974.
Back on thread a minute. I play to a lot of Simply Red stuff and find it really easy and satisfying.

Benthedrummer

Not ridiculing. Encouraging honest expression, rather than rote diligence. Expansion of technique is learned and how you learn is up to you. I teach young guys by making it simple. Listen and copy.
I'm not sure what free hippie drumming is although I'm sure I've done it having lived in San Francisco 1966 to 1974.
Back on thread a minute. I play to a lot of Simply Red stuff and find it really easy and satisfying.
I've never played any of their stuff.

I must say.......I love the groove to "A New Flame".

A decievingly busy groove with some tasty little buzz rolls.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I've never played any of their stuff.

I must say.......I love the groove to "A New Flame".

A decievingly busy groove with some tasty little buzz rolls.
There music comprises soul, r & b with a lot of jazz influence. A refreshing change to play for this old rock drummer. AND you don't have to clobber the drums!!! Finesse and dynamics rule.