Simple songs that are more interesting upon analysing them?

NickSchles

Carly Simon's "Comin' Around Again" was difficult for me, but I was trying to sing the vocals too. And play the hihat transcription exactly, which feels on top of the beat and very staccato. It required a grip on the stick I hadn't ever used before, sort of a loose but closed German grip, using a lot of wrist and arm. Of course I'm trying to sound like a studio recording and who knows how they produced that and how many layers.

EDIT: You can't use push pull with these 16ths as is the natural tendency.

I've added this to my list of tunes to check out on the back of this topic. Thanks for the suggestion, dude! :)

NickSchles

I like simple but elegant orchestrated music too-so you have different musicians playing different parts that only how they weave together a song emerge as a single beautiful entity. It's like we are made up individual cells that make our up body-the single entity. I remember before YT we had to listen to songs-now my brain would put different parts together that I thought was drums doing it all. But upon video you find heck no-the drummer wasn't playing this huge chops complicated piece-just a simple part-other musicians parts filled the gaps I thought was drums. I imagine a lot of us old players likely learned a song wrong by ear then years later view a live video and discover oppps! LOL
Thoughtful. I dig it! :)

NickSchles

It’s a shame that simplicity is so often equated with being uninteresting. Not throwing shade at the OP… I notice this in general and in far more pursuits than drum parts. Not everyone wants to solve calculus problems or speak in Shakespearean English when they listen to/play music.

To answer the OP question specifically, I find any Mick Fleetwood drum parts fit the simple and interesting criteria quite well, and I’d also add quirky to the list.
I totally understand what you're saying, and agree with lots of it.

And yes, Mick Fleetwood is one of those "feel" players too... The parts just work with the music, don't they? Quirky is right!

NickSchles

He’s definitely got a Ringo thing going on. Love his sloshy use of the hats and accenting the off-beats. it’s almost like he’s dancing behind the kit - tough to replicate. “You don’t know how it feels” is a great example of this.

Love Tom Petty. I'll check this out, as I haven't listened to this, I don't think.