Simple question on "4-Way Coordination"

Hello,

I’ve been working a little bit with “4-Way Coordination” by Marvin Dahlgren and Elliot Fin. If any of you have worked with this book before, do you know if you are supposed to swing the eighths or play them straight? Or does it matter?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Hello,

I’ve been working a little bit with “4-Way Coordination” by Marvin Dahlgren and Elliot Fin. If any of you have worked with this book before, do you know if you are supposed to swing the eighths or play them straight? Or does it matter?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

You can do what you want with the exercises... :) But they were supposed to play straight because there is special chapter for triplets.

.... they were supposed to play straight because there is special chapter for triplets....

Not true, really. This book was written a long time ago, so you can assume a jazz idiom. This means swung triplets.

However, today, it is totally useful to practice them in a latin, funk or rock situations...I mean, why not?

Casper

Not true, really. This book was written a long time ago, so you can assume a jazz idiom. This means swung triplets.

However, today, it is totally useful to practice them in a latin, funk or rock situations...I mean, why not?

Casper

I agree with that interpretation.

Jeff

Casper

It was written in 1963 so I can't say for sure what it was meant for.
Reason why I think that way is exercises in page 28, for example. Right hand is playing standard spang a lang pattern and it's written out in triplets not eights. Same for page 29, 30, 33 and so on. They could have written out that it's meant to play in swing in that lengthy introduction.

It was written in 1963 so I can't say for sure what it was meant for.
Reason why I think that way is exercises in page 28, for example. Right hand is playing standard spang a lang pattern and it's written out in triplets not eights. Same for page 29, 30, 33 and so on. They could have written out that it's meant to play in swing in that lengthy introduction.

On page 28, your answer is in the very first bar. That could never have been written as 8th notes.

The excercises on page 4 are in 8th notes. and in the instructions on page three they suggest playing 1 measure jazz time and one measure of the excercise....

What can I say, it's a jazz book.

And you should interpret it in any way you want. after all, it's just a lot of notes....use them for good.

Casper

On page 28, your answer is in the very first bar. That could never have been written as 8th notes.

The excercises on page 4 are in 8th notes. and in the instructions on page three they suggest playing 1 measure jazz time and one measure of the excercise....

What can I say, it's a jazz book.

And you should interpret it in any way you want. after all, it's just a lot of notes....use them for good.

Casper

Yeah you are right.
I've never practiced eight notes from this book in swing thought I'm playing mainly jazz :) Actually that example in page 3 tricked me into thinking that 8 notes are straight, because two measures of swing pattern is written out in triplets and right after that two bars with eights.

Thank you everyone for your input. I have been swinging them, but I wasn't 100% sure if that was the intention of the authors. I'll just keep swinging them.

Thank you,

Matt

Back