Simple App to make drum covers

Lennytoons

Can anyone recommend a simple App or means to make a drum cover. I have Imovie which has been recommended but I've never tried to use it. My technical expertise is very limited so I'm looking for something simple that will yield good results. Thanks in advance.

The most basic way to make a drum cover is to use a Zoom video recorder or the like and mix the music that you are covering with your drumming as you record.
Position the video recorder so that it picks up your drums and the music from your stereo in a desirable mix. You can monitor your performance with headphones as you record. Then load the video into your computer.

iMovie really isn't that complicated to use. You would use Garageband to record and mix tracks of the audio and add it to the video later during editing like they do in the movies. That would mean that you would need an interface and microphones to get the sound into your computer.

This video shows a simple way to make a cover without mics' and and interface.
https://youtu.be/64bRzp6eHHw

Last edited:
Garageband is good. Audacity is also good for audio editing. Here's my greatly simplified process:

1) Add a metronome to the song in a separate track in Audacity using "Generate -> Click Track...", simply making educated guesses at the tempo until I find it.

2) Export that with a mix of song and click that I like to an .mp3 for easy practice.

3) Record both audio and video of the cover while playing along to the metronome version.

4) Add my audio to the original project as a new track, lining it up where my performance sounds its best against the original drums.

5) Mute the click track, and mix and export this audio, so I have a final audio file with both the song and my drums in it.

6) Sync the audio and the video in the video editor and export that.

Very simplified but that's the workflow for me.

1) Add a metronome to the song in a separate track in Audacity using "Generate -> Click Track...", simply making educated guesses at the tempo until I find it.

Some DAWs and metronome apps on phones have a tap tempo feature where you can tap along to the songs pulse and it generates roughly where the tempo range is. This might quicken up that process for you.

Thanks to you and bobdadrumas for these replies as I am curious about this process too.

What many people don't realize is that you can separate the audio that your video recorder recorded from the video in iMovie.
This allows you to replace the audio in your movie, or process the audio that your video camera recorded in GarageBand and put it back with your movie after you have added and mixed other audio tracks.
Always think of video and audio as two separate things that can be edited separately.

The best way to make a cover is to use the method that porter uses.

If you are going to get into recording covers on a higher level you should get mics', a mixer, and an interface.

Last edited:
Some DAWs and metronome apps on phones have a tap tempo feature where you can tap along to the songs pulse and it generates roughly where the tempo range is.

This is often how I make those "educated guesses". Audacity is nice as well because you can use fractional click tracks, just in case the original was 8th note = 267bpm or some weird thing and you want quarter notes. It can't do anything above 300bpm though.

What many people don't realize is that you can separate the audio that your video recorder recorded from the video in iMovie..

Ah yes, if your recorder of choice only gives you a video file with the audio baked in, you'll have to separate those first.

Back