Simon Talks 'bout Banana, Croissant, Scramble Egg, Sausage & Bacon...

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
... and Drums of course :)

Simon Phillips talks about large kit vs simple groove, micing & mixing the whole kit as a single instrument, dynamics and how to support a soloist, musicality, practicing and creativity, coordination, heavy metal, playing with AC/DC, intuition and feel, studio recording, open handed playing, Super Drumming and playing a duet with Louie Bellson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz26BfN7OeU

Enjoy, I did :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Underside of the cymbals - didn't expect that :) As usual, Simon just talks sense, & delivers on what he says. My kind of person.

steadypocket

Gold Member
I just love his approach to the drums, and music in general. Brilliant fellow who has managed to practice what he preaches. His drum kit indeed always sounds like one complete instrument and he's maintained a very consistent signature sound.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I just love Simon. Phenomenal musician. Great playing aside, he also seems like the kind of guy you could have a great time hanging out with and learning from.

feldiefeld

I just love Simon. Phenomenal musician. Great playing aside, he also seems like the kind of guy you could have a great time hanging out with and learning from.

You are right. I've known Simon for quite a while and can attest that he is a sweetheart. Very generous, warm and helpful....a good friend with out pretense....which is pretty significant considering that he is one of the best drummers on the planet.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I could listen to him relate himself all day long. He makes so much sense. He talks the truth.

Drummers I can relate to the most. They seem the most earth bound. Everything this guys says resonates.