Simon Phillips

I really can't think of anyone better suited to do the Geddy...Lifeson thing with RUSH. It's not like he can't handle the material. He's just so versatile and can rock RUSH into 2021 and we'll beyond. Lots of people come to mind but not like Simon...noone.
As a devoted, lifelong Rush nerd, I wholeheartedly agree. Whatever shape Geddy & Alex's musical ideas take, they will be exploratory - they don't need the best drummer, they need the right drummer. Simon's musicality, originality and sonic "thumbprint" would be a very good match.

Re: Oh dear, what happened to Simon Phillips / TOTO ???

There are clear rules: 95% of this Saturday-Night public never heard of Toto. So they take their hugest hit (wish of the TV) and combines it with something new (wish of the band).

For Simon: he can only say Tama - if there is a kit...but only two toms of course...he can be happy. Normally they take the DW set and put then a TAMA sign on the Bassdrum.

Yes, Santana surprised me there at "Wetten Dass" really: They played live.....

Bernhard
I am very sad he left To??. Miss you and your drumming, Simon.

I first became aware of Simon on a Pete Townsend video...let my love open the door. I've been chasing him ever since.

Just picked up this lovely snare drum off craigslist, Simon's signature model that he calls The Monarch.

tm4.jpg

Simon demos this and his other signature snares in this video:

He used one of these on tour with Toto. Here's a good example of its live sound, especially at around 5:00, the drums start going into isolation and the snare is really cracking.

Simon has exxxxqusite taste in snaredrums. It appears you do as well.

Thanks! I actually didn't know about his sig snares until I saw this one for sale, but I did know that Simon always gets a great sound out of his drums, so I figured his main snare must be a good one.

Something i just remembered, and i hope my memory serves me well, but i remember that Simon at one point had 2 octobans mounted like bass drums.
So he had his bass drums and next to each bass drum was an octoban that he could play with a pedal.
I can't seem to find any pics nor did i save them (must be early 2000's), or am i completely bonkers and did some other drummer come up with this?

Last edited:
You are right, here's a pic (look closely):
50676839_p.jpg

Does anyone know how tall Simon is? I'm curious because of his setup: 24" bass drums and deep toms, but the toms are not terribly or awkwardly angled (a la Lars Ulrich from '80s Metallica). If he is tall, then this would make total sense, but he does not seem as tall as, say, Stewart Copeland.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 9.39.14 PM.png

Well, I don't know his exact height, but he isn't very tall. A fairly unreliable Internet source said 5' 5 1/2". I've seen quite a few pictures in which he is among the shortest guys in the shot.

Does anyone know how tall Simon is? I'm curious because of his setup: 24" bass drums and deep toms, but the toms are not terribly or awkwardly angled (a la Lars Ulrich from '80s Metallica). If he is tall, then this would make total sense, but he does not seem as tall as, say, Stewart Copeland.

View attachment 116527
To me, there is nothing more awkward than having a foot of height between your snare drum head and your closest Tom heads. But Simon Phillips is who he is and he’s fantastic. Not tall, though. A little over 5’5”.

Saw a clinic with him back in the day.
Maybe 5'7"

Saw a clinic with him back in the day.
Maybe 5'7"
OK, cool. Maybe I can return to 22" bass drums after years of avoiding them. I grew up playing a Pearl Export in the late 1980s, and back then the toms were always 9x10, 10x12, 11x13. I had a 22 kick, 10x12/11x13 toms, and 16x16 floor. Trying to position those toms was absolute murder as a teenager.

OK, cool. Maybe I can return to 22" bass drums after years of avoiding them. I grew up playing a Pearl Export in the late 1980s, and back then the toms were always 9x10, 10x12, 11x13. I had a 22 kick, 10x12/11x13 toms, and 16x16 floor. Trying to position those toms was absolute murder as a teenager.
I feel your pain I'm 5' 6 and power Toms on top of a big bass drum we're very uncomfortable.

Back