Simon Phillips talks 'bout open handed, dynamics, big sound and recording :)

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Thanks, very good stuff. In addition to his stellar playing, I'm always struck by how personable and "comfortable" a person he seems to be.

What I can't begin to figure out is why Andy hasn't yet shown up for a Simon Phillips thread? ;-)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
What I can't begin to figure out is why Andy hasn't yet shown up for a Simon Phillips thread? ;-)
I've been busy!!!!

Great links Henri, & of course, sound advice all round. Don't think I'll be switching to open handed playing anytime soon though. Reason 1/ it's too late for me. Reason 2/ apparently, it involves something I hear is referred to as practice ;)

Otto

Platinum Member
One of the more interesting comments I have heard about Simon from a non-drummer was "I didn't expect him to talk like that".

I never got clarification on what exactly was meant...but I always try to observe his talking features in juxtaposition to his playing....and see what expectations I might find congruent or violated.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
That Recording Tips vid was great. I have never heard anyone discuss that idea regarding the bass drum under a tom fill.

As a matter of fact, most drummers would tell you to play the bass drum under the fill, in order to help lock in the subdivisions. A "drumistic" approach.

But Simon's approach comes totally from the artistic side. He makes a conscious decision to not play the bass drum under the fill because of the sonic effect it has on the track.

That is artistry. Choosing what to play based totally upon the needs of the music and not for any other reason.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That Recording Tips vid was great. I have never heard anyone discuss that idea regarding the bass drum under a tom fill.

As a matter of fact, most drummers would tell you to play the bass drum under the fill, in order to help lock in the subdivisions. A "drumistic" approach.

But Simon's approach comes totally from the artistic side. He makes a conscious decision to not play the bass drum under the fill because of the sonic effect it has on the track.

That is artistry. Choosing what to play based totally upon the needs of the music and not for any other reason.
I was a bit surprised by that too Jeff. The fill did sound better without the bass drum. I wonder if he uses that same approach playing live. I got the impression that was just a studio tactic, but I could be off there. I want to try this with my band live to see if it feels like the bottom drops out.

Otto I think it takes some people by surprise hearing a drummer talk artistically, I attribute it to the widespread stereotypical drummer impressions like drummers can't be thoughtful or intelligent. I'd like to obliterate that stereotype, it does us no good as a whole.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Weird (for me) that you should highlight that Jeff, because playing bass drum under a tom fill is something I hardly ever do by default. Perhaps I picked up more from Simon early on than I realised.

Ekim

Silver Member
Thanks for the video links. Simon is such an amazing player. His playing on Derek Sherinian's solo CDs is criminally overlooked (as are those CDs, they're scary good, IMO).

Otto I think it takes some people by surprise hearing a drummer talk artistically, I attribute it to the widespread stereotypical drummer impressions like drummers can't be thoughtful or intelligent. I'd like to obliterate that stereotype, it does us no good as a whole.
Well... when you break it down, all we're doing is hitting stuff with sticks.

I mean ANY moron can do that,right?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Thanks, very good stuff.
Great links Henri
That Recording Tips vid was great.
Great videos, thanks for sharing!
Great videos. Thanks for posting them.
Thanks a million for sharing Mad About Drums!!
You're all welcome :)

When someone like SP make this kind of insight of their playing and share it, it's great to listen and watch.

Thanks to Rhythm magazine for uploading these clips on YT :)

Toolate

Platinum Member
Anyone know what ride he was playing in the dynamics video? (2nd link) I like it. Watched these all 3x. His open handed playing is amazing.

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I think that's the first time I've heard him interview.

I noticed his cymbals don't have top felts or tightened down, he really believes in resonance in the studio.

Thanks for the share!