Similar to 2002?

iontheable

Hey guys, I've been a big fan of the Paiste 2002 SoundEdge Hats, 15" specifically and I looking to see what Meinl has as a comparable line up.

What do you all feel would be similar? I'm a big Meinl fan and I've never been let down by them.

Thanks!

2002 very unique cymbals, to my ears meinl B10 are the most similar series that meinl offers. but i think that paiste 505 are more similar

don't think anything will sound like a 2002 tbh

I'm not up to speed with Meinl. Do they do a bright and cutting professional level B8? Something like that may get you close. But like others have said, I don't think there's anything really comparable from the other major cymbal companies. Both Zildjian and Sabian offer "bright and cutting" cymbal lines, yet none of them sound like a 2002......nor are they meant to. I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet Meinl are in the same boat.

FWIW, I recently bought the 15" 2002 SE's. My favourite new toy. Love 'em. If you dig that sound you're really not gonna go wrong with the real thing......even if it doesn't have a Meinl logo on it.

Thanks pfog :) and my wife will thank you for tipping me in the direction of spending money rather than not.

What she doesn't get: this was never a question of 'to spend or not'

Merely, which and how much. :)

Anyone mind describing the differences between the generations? Any major differences at all?

PFOG - did you get the new red labels?

or just get the 2002's...great hats, great company, and its OK to mix companies.... Meinl won't mind :)

Anyone mind describing the differences between the generations? Any major differences at all?

PFOG - did you get the new red labels?

Yes, I bought the new red labels mate.

As for the differences between the old black and the new red labels. From what I've read from the boffins at cymbalholic and the like, the old black labels were a thinner cymbal than what they are today. Many seem to think that today's standard red label 2002 is more akin to a black label medium....or that a current red label thin is closer to the black label standard. A current red label medium would be a black label heavy and so forth. Many of the old hands seem to agree and given I wasn't playing black labels back in the day, I'm happy to take their word for it. However, most also seem to agree that despite the shift in weights between the old and the new, they still sound "distinctly 2002" and if it's a sound you're into, then you're not gonna go wrong regardless of which era of cymbal you choose.

i bought a pair of newish red label 2002 SE 15" hats, kinda on a whim. great ebay deal and i was kinda disappointed in the sound of my old hats (Zildjian quick beat) on the last recording.

now, i'm slowly switching everything to 2002!! ;]
24" 2002 Crash on the way!

Back