Silver Dot Return

Ransan

Looks like the Ludwig Silver dots returned, check out the ad from Sweetwater! Kinda stoked about that as my vistas had old SDs and I absolutely loved their dot formula punch and focus. However no 6” and 15” sizes available at the moment it seems?

Interesting is Ludwig partnered with Remo so I wonder if the dot formula will be the same or if they’ll adopt Remos dot formula which to me is not as bright, focused, or punchy as the SDs. Remos dot material is somewhat softer and while really focused sound, the CS won’t give the attack the SDs have.

Another thing I like about the Ludwig SDs were, the dots ever so slightly if at all, increase or decrease in size with shell diameter as opposed to Remos, with my 6” tom dot being 4” and my 18” ft dot being around 9”-10” if this nuance makes any sense at all.

I’m excited, does anyone have these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LW6108R--ludwig-silver-dot-clear-batter-drumhead-8-inch

I wanted silver dots for my Ludwig kit but the shop didn't have all of the sizes I needed so I played it safe and went with Remo pinstripes instead. As soon as the pinstripes wear out, silver dots are going on. They look great!

I wanted silver dots for my Ludwig kit but the shop didn't have all of the sizes I needed so I played it safe and went with Remo pinstripes instead. As soon as the pinstripes wear out, silver dots are going on. They look great!
Yessr - There’s something about them, what do you think about the Remo collab?
I hope they keep the Ludwig feel.

These came back about a year ago, maybe a little more but very few retailers seem to be stocking them. Remo is using the same film and crimp lock hoops as the Ludwig made heads and I really like the Silver Dot head, but I haven't tried the new Remo version. The price is off-putting.

The silver dots are to Ludwig's old size specs, they're not just Remo black dot sizes. :)

Thanks for the dot size clarification Bermuda, do the dots have the feel of the old SDs?

Yes I understand that price may be off putting, if this helps the vintage Ludwig Ruby Vista kit that I brought still had the originals, and they sounded good to me.

MEVhuyp.jpg

pogWVx6.jpg

I've had them since July of 20. I really, really like them. The collar is spectacular and the tuning is a breeze. The sound is beyond fantastic. Open and punchy and requires little to no muffling. I was using black dots on my Keystone kit and liked those too. I would say the SD is thinner than the BD and does carry a different feel and sound. Subtle but it's different. I dig them and will replace them again when needed. Also, the price from Columbus Percussion was really good and right in line with other Remo's. Price should not be an issue with trying these.

Note the 18 floor is only a week old in this gig pic so it was not changed.

MEVhuyp.jpg

pogWVx6.jpg

I've had them since July of 20. I really, really like them. The collar is spectacular and the tuning is a breeze. The sound is beyond fantastic. Open and punchy and requires little to no muffling. I was using black dots on my Keystone kit and liked those too. I would say the SD is thinner than the BD and does carry a different feel and sound. Subtle but it's different. I dig them and will replace them again when needed. Also, the price from Columbus Percussion was really good and right in line with other Remo's. Price should not be an issue with trying these.

Note the 18 floor is only a week old in this gig pic so it was not changed.
Thanks for your feedback as well.

That SBP Luddie is gorgeous and topped off with a copper phonic - just awesome!

Are the toms sizes 10” 12” 13” 14” 16” 18”?

Thanks and you are correct on the tom sizes. I've got an order coming together for DCP in the next few days and the 18 Silver dot is in the cart. $23 I believe. Such great heads. If you shy away from 2 ply batters and like to tune up just a hair for deep tone and resonance, this is thee head to use IMHO

Back