Silent sticks for edrums

Birdy

Are these any good? Just trying to reduce the thwacking noise on my cymbals (Yamaha).
Thanks.

Are these any good? Just trying to reduce the thwacking noise on my cymbals (Yamaha).
Thanks.
Did you mean to post a link to some sticks?
You can get add-on silent tips and or maybe get some surgical tubing to cover the shank. Just my Noobish 2 cents

Any sticks that someone can recommend really. I’ve got nylon tips on sticks that make little difference and keep coming off anyway.

I have a dtxpress iv and anything I've found that reduces the analog sound also affects the trigger response. If I just want to use it as a full kit practice pad, using a long taper stick like the VF AJ2 makes it quieter, but the drums don't respond. And maxing out the sensitivity completely throws my playing off. Hopefully, someone on here has a better answer for you.

Yes, you may have a point, softer stocks may fail to get a response so there may be no obvious solution.

Do you mean these? I saw them recommended, but I'd like to see a video comparison or some demo first.
I tried rubber Vic Firth Practice Tips, but they're not silent at all, I read similar reviews about the Tama one.

Any sticks that someone can recommend really. I’ve got nylon tips on sticks that make little difference and keep coming off anyway.

Wood is quieter than nylon on rubber. If you wanna get quieter, use a foam cymbal mute on the pad.

Will that still let the cymbal trigger(electric kit )

Yup. You many have to tweak the settings a tad depending on your module - maybe bump the gain, min velocity etc,

See here for example

Last edited:
I have no idea how well these would work on an e-kit, or even if they'd reduce the volume. But it may be something worth looking into.

I have no idea how well these would work on an e-kit, or even if they'd reduce the volume. But it may be something worth looking into.

Work - yes, of course. Reduce the volume - maybe a small amount. They're for practising on a table when you don't have a practice pad to hand. Stagg and others do them as well. (actually quite good for percussive effects on acoustic cymbals). Last time I used them was with a Korg Cliphit. Obs they do change the balance of the sticks,

When I play later in the evening I sometimes go to beaters rather than sticks. I've not found any problem in the response and they are quieter, although still not totally silent. When I practice late, it's usually just rudiments on the snare too, which is vdrum meshhead, so without spending loads of time whacking the crash or tom pads with a beater I haven't noticed any lack of response from it.

Back