Silent Snare Strainers

BassDriver

Silver Member
Are there any snare strainers that don't make that annoying snap when they are engaged?

I have seen the Trick snare strainer which engages silently but are there any others?

BassDriver

Silver Member
You could ease the snare slowly upwards until it connects with the reso. Costs nothing as well.
Not all are like that, my snare strainer will suddenly snap up at near the top of its motion places snares on.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
My Pearl strainer works that way, but it takes a little push to make it an even motion.

What snare drum is this problem occurring with?

BassDriver

Silver Member
Its a Tama Starclassic (the more recent Starclassics BTW) snare, with a standard Tama snare strainer.

As far as I know most snare strainers make that noise (of the snare striking against the head) everytime they are engaged.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
The strainer isn't making that noise. That noise is coming from the snare wires getting pressed against the reso head. I don't think there is any way to stop it, except just moving the strainer lever slowly.

BassDriver

Silver Member
The strainer isn't making that noise.
That's what I mean.

That noise is coming from the snare wires getting pressed against the reso head. I don't think there is any way to stop it, except just moving the strainer lever slowly.
That won't do, the lever jolts as it is about to engage and the snares can be heard rattling against the head.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
That's what I mean.

That won't do, the lever jolts as it is about to engage and the snares can be heard rattling against the head.
Maybe try a different strainer mechanism. I have a Nickel Drumworks polycarbonate strainer mechanism and it is very smooth, so you can ease the wires onto the head.