Silent Pads/cymbals or Electronic Drums?

blinky

I recently bought Zildjian low volume cymbals, cheap Evans Sound Off tom mutes and a Sabian 14" pad with a real head and rim. I practice with Tama's metronome and can hear it without problem. Sometimes I practice with music through the computer speakers and that works great too. It doesn't sound as good as my Roland kit, granted, but it feels like a real drum kit, well it is. So I'm going to sell the e-kit.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I use a trigger called altmode hybrihead (same exact thing as the aquarian in-head, but its coated). I put it on a snare, stuffed a blanket in the shell, tuned it up like a regular drum and i play it through my EAD10 module. It feels almost exactly like a regular snare drum, and it's too quiet to bother the neighbors. It doesnt replace an acoustic drum, but it triggers really well and feels great. It even looks just like an acoustic drum. The price is fair and it's great for working on rudiments late at night

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's a complex thing as we're not really there yet.

To me it's all about feel, hence L80s, Super-Pad for BD and Xymox for snare. If I use toms I have Super-Pads, but also curious about the Black Holes.

If I was going digital and didn't need somethng that was easily moveable I'd go completely modular, getting the pads I personally like and use VSTs.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I use a trigger called altmode hybrihead (same exact thing as the aquarian in-head, but its coated). I put it on a snare, stuffed a blanket in the shell, tuned it up like a regular drum and i play it through my EAD10 module. It feels almost exactly like a regular snare drum, and it's too quiet to bother the neighbors. It doesnt replace an acoustic drum, but it triggers really well and feels great. It even looks just like an acoustic drum. The price is fair and it's great for working on rudiments late at night
I like this idea, but would like to keep the acoustic part intact.
To me it's all about feel, hence L80s, Super-Pad for BD and Xymox for snare. If I use toms I have Super-Pads, but also curious about the Black Holes.
Which one? They appear to have several.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I like this idea, but would like to keep the acoustic part intact.

Which one? They appear to have several.
It's the Reserve Snare. The point for me is that it's a laminate pad. Nothing here sounds great, though this also depends on the room a bit. I'm just constantly reminded that electronic will never work for me. Curious about what will happen with the new Pearl stuff, but I think we need a couple of upgrades.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
Yea with the alternatemode trigger I mentioned, I use it on a snare that I never use anymore acoustically. You could take the trigger off and on your main snare if you wanted, but that would take a lot of time and tuning. This trigger is probably the most expensive out of everything else everyone mentioned, but it does feel almost like the real thing. Because of the way it looks and feels, if you plugged it in to a good module you’d forget you were playing an electric drum

aminoo

I think it depends on your long term goals in terms of how you want to use it.

If you want to be 'silent' all of the time with zero plans of hearing much, L80's and Silentstrokes - or equivalents - work well. I actually cover my set in these for about 6 months of the year (May - October). Allows me to practice whenever I want without giving any consious thought to windows being open (neighborhood noise), who is home and such. For me, it's also a nice break from the louder type of sound the instruments generate by nature. Sometimes I don't want to hear the noise myself. By the way... I did this for myself not at the request of anyone else.

On the otherhand, if you think you will grow tired of the lack of sound options, etc... then an electronic kit is a better solution (in my opinion).

If I was unable to ever have a regular set available at any time... ever... no question - I'd buy the best E-kit I could afford.

Just my .02
Not only can I swap out with a quickness if need be for jam sessions, but the overall price is FAR cheaper than a whole elec. kit.