Silent hi-hats too loud!!!

Even a chopstick on a saucepan is going to make some noise. Try the lightest 5As you can find, might help.
I’ve been using Silent Stokes for years, the snare is always going to be inherently louder. Zildjian L80 are fantastic cymbals, so much better than any cymbal pads or mutes.
But if you’re still struggling with volume at this point, you may want to pick yourself up an electronic kit with headphones.

But if you’re still struggling with volume at this point, you may want to pick yourself up an electronic kit with headphones.

----No. Never.:ROFLMAO:

I worked with electronic drums at home in the early nineties, some almost thirty years ago. Technology was not like it is now. I used a Roland PD-21 and PD-11 set. I ended selling out them swearing I would use an electronic kit never again.

Besides, the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Walnut Glace investment is already made, purchased and payed. I could return it back for a refund, but I am not interested. I am a real drummer.

Hit like on your comment, because I really do appreciate people trying to help. Your comment is hugely welcome, that's for sure.

Silent hi-hats too loud!!! How can "silent" hats be too loud? Maybe they're really "medium quiet" hats. or "partially loud" hats. Hmm

----Your type font is too loud, actually. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :D:D:):) But thanks for your comment, highly appreciated. As for the hats....seems Millenium Still are not top of the game, but mind you...I was under a budget...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would need to dampen this hi-hat set even more....Turns out the silent hi-hat sets in general tend to sound too crisp and render strong high-frequencies overall.

Any idea on how to accomplish? Or how about going felt drumsticks?

Any opinion truly acknowledged....:):):):)
Regards....

I never have to dampen my hi hats cause I've got that "covered". Naturally, this is my practice kit. The padding still gives me enough rebound to build muscle memory. I got most of the pads with the kit when I bought it six years ago.

Oh, and we live in an apartment and have never had a noise complaint lodged against in all that time.

Pete

Padding.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen those. They’re much louder at the hi hats. Note that my hats have one on top of and in between the cymbals so that neither stick nor foot work is loud.

In conjunction with some of the above suggestions, consider Vater whip sticks. They help reduce volume even more. They’re not for practicing snare rolls, but for general playing, they’re fine.
I will add, that i‘m in a townhouse. I use Zildjian L-80’s and RTOM mutes. I use to use Remo silent strokes, which are extremely quite, but there’s barley any tone even with a reso head. The RTOM’s are slightly louder, but retain the tone of the drums. My neighbors can’t hear my kit, and one of them, before they moved was a cop. In fact, they had no idea I had a kit until I told them.

Attachments

• 549D3703-6F5B-4B36-84B5-FE6D854C611D.jpeg
    549D3703-6F5B-4B36-84B5-FE6D854C611D.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Those would be fine for me, I presume. Either those or these.
The nice thing about my fix is that you can buy 2 of those pads for 20 bucks and even after you make the small hole for the lower and 1.5 inch hole for the top, you can still use the in your cymbal bag as originally intended. No wasted cash if you hate them as mutes!

Pete

I have a cymbal mute on the bottom cymbal of my Zildjian L80 14" Hi-hat. That reduces the volume even more without affecting the feel too much.
If you search for those online i'm sure you can find some you like :)

I never have to dampen my hi hats cause I've got that "covered". Naturally, this is my practice kit. The padding still gives me enough rebound to build muscle memory. I got most of the pads with the kit when I bought it six years ago.

Oh, and we live in an apartment and have never had a noise complaint lodged against in all that time. (...)
Hi, Peedy!!!

Perhaps could you point me a link to those pads?

Regards...

Hi, Peedy!!!

Perhaps could you point me a link to those pads?

Regards...

Sure thing. These are for sale in Germany but listed on eBay Spain. Get 2 as for full effect, you'll need one on top and one in between.

And just to prove I didn't come up with the idea on my own, here's the mutes being used as I do. These are also listed on eBay Spain but they're being sold from the United States. To me, it doesn't make sense to buy them outside of the European Union. (Shrug)

My primary drum teacher gave me the idea. And as he's studio, touring and teaching pro, (plus a real degree in percussion) I tend to pay attention to his advice.

Regards,

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Back