Silencing a snare drum.

Bradastronaut

Is there any way i can silence a snare drum without using practice pads or mesh heads, i am wanting a way to practice my stick control completely, with the perfect feel of my snare drum. I still want some noise but just not so that you can hear it outside the house (seriously you can hear me play all around the neighborhood) hhaha.

moontheloon

Silver Member
sabian makes a pad called quiet tone that is actually a snare head and hoop that sits on top of your snare drum and feels pretty much exactly like a snare drum.....you will even get some rattle from the strainers.....

look into it....

back in the day I filled my snare with bubble wrap when i had no pad.....that worked to

Bradastronaut

Thanks! knew there would be something/some stuff you could do like that, google seems to like to keep that stuff a secret...

birks10

Brad.... Also, try taking a cotton tee shirt, remove your snare batter head and stretch the tee across the shell. Get out all the tee shirt wrinkles and re-install your snare batter head. Then , turn off the snares (or, leave 'em on),after you crank the head up tight. There you go!
Cheap, easy and does the trick.

K...

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Get a Gladstone rubber pad,.They are on ebay and available at most music stores.The pad is 14"in diameter and made of rubber with a thicker 6" pad in the middle.Very quite,and they have been around forever.I bought mine in the early 70s and still use it.I'm pretty sure Ludwig distributes them.

Steve B

Bradastronaut

The towel trick worked just fine for the amount of noise i wanted to loose, and the feel is exactly the same without, score! Thanks for the advice all :)
That gladstone pad is sold at my local drum store, but my snare is 13", the horror when i bought a 14 inch mesh pad D:
I would try the cotton shirt trick, but i dont wanna risk the perfect tuning i have now (thanks to my friendly neighborhood drum shopkeeper) as i cannot tune myself AT ALL.