Signature Sticks!

ccsimms

So....what are your views on signature sticks? I personally think they're cool, but tell me what you think. Unoriginal or Inspiring? Let's hear it!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've already figured out what my "perfect" sticks are, so I find signature sticks interesting in a "oh so that's what so-and-so likes to play" kind of way, but beyond that they're just another stick to me.

What confuses me a little is when a particular drummer's signature stick is exactly like a standard model. Then I'm left to wonder is it just marketing on the company's part wanting to "sell" a particular drummer, or the drummer's ego showing through that he wants to advertise that he's cool enough to get his name on a stick, even when he plays a 5A.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Back in the 90's I had my own signature sticks made in bulk by a guy in Sydney. I thought they were great because they were designed just for me, exactly how i like them.......he even put my name on them, which was good for a giggle :)

As for "official" artist signature sticks, my thoughts are pretty simple.......If I liked them I'd use them.....regardless of who's name was on them. But I'm yet to find an artist signature stick that I like above and beyond what i can just buy off the shelf.

Ian

Silver Member
I play Benny Greb and Todd Sucherman sig sticks for a few reasons.

5B sticks feel right to my hands but I don't like any of the stock finishes. The closest finish to "right" to me are Ludwig sticks but they are so irregular I don't want to play them. I also like the acorn tip on the Greb and Sucherman sticks.

Between these two sticks I have both my hickory and maple needs met.

Fishbones

Silver Member
its just nice to have an expansion of your standard sizes... i personally love aaron spears' signature sticks. although i'm not a fan of his playing, his sticks are just perfect

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I'm not as into peter erskine as i once was, but I now use his ride stick, and they are amazing on cymbals. The sound is great, but the feel is something else, one stroke will give you 10 bounces! I have never gotten such feel from a normal stick, but then again i have neveer tried out vic firths jazz series. But I would like a stick with a bit more weight in the tip for drum playing, might try out stanton's model soon....even though i have just bought two pairs of the erskines :)

brady

Platinum Member
I'm not as into peter erskine as i once was, but I now use his ride stick, and they are amazing on cymbals. The sound is great, but the feel is something else, one stroke will give you 10 bounces! I have never gotten such feel from a normal stick, but then again i have neveer tried out vic firths jazz series. But I would like a stick with a bit more weight in the tip for drum playing, might try out stanton's model soon....even though i have just bought two pairs of the erskines :)
Peter Erksine's ride Stick is the only signature stick I use too. I don't use it as often as I did though. It's pretty similar to the VF AJ6 stick; it has an extreme taper with a very small tip. I have small hands, so it fits me better. The tips on both sticks don't seem to last long under harder playing though. I use the AJ6 for softer songs and the X5A stick for pretty much everything else.

onedevilsst

I play Benny Greb and Todd Sucherman sig sticks for a few reasons.

5B sticks feel right to my hands but I don't like any of the stock finishes. The closest finish to "right" to me are Ludwig sticks but they are so irregular I don't want to play them. I also like the acorn tip on the Greb and Sucherman sticks.

Between these two sticks I have both my hickory and maple needs met.
I use the benny grebs, too. My only stick of choice. And for the same reasons.

Fishbones

Silver Member
oh yeah and i looove the steve jordan sigs for lighter stuff. oh yeah and the pro mark jim rupp sigs for mellow one step up from brushes jazz

Sig sticks are usually a one-time splurge purchase for me. A lot of fun, but I really end up going with the standard sizes. One downside is when you get attached to a sig stick and then the company discontinues it. You feel a little sad, like when your favorite player gets traded.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I'm not real fond of having some guys name on my sticks, but if the stick is what I like to use then so be it. I have been playing around with a few models recently and I was playing the Tico Torres model for the last 2 years or so, but I needed to change to something lighter.

deryck

I actually really like buying sticks. My frame of mind is that there might be an even better stick out there than I'm using, so I'm always looking to try more. It's fun to mess around with a stick size you're used to, but that has a different feel due to a different taper, wood or tip. I have a pair of Dave Weckl signature sticks from back in the day that I use, though I can't say I love them. Anyone else use these? I think the shoulder is too high up the stick.

Ultimately, I would play with any sticks, as long as they felt right, even if they were made by an artist I didn't like.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
In a way, they could alienate some customers. There are people (like me) who won't buy them for the simple reason that they're someone else's signature stick.
But the people who want to emulate their heros probably balances that out.

I'd like to see a stick company that custom makes sticks for the general public. You would have to buy like 1000 at a time, but you would get to pick every detail about the stick, the wood, the taper, the tip, the weight...

I'd like to see a stick with a rubber core, like how they make "cheater" baseball bats

Or a stick with an aluminum core that would keep it straight and crack resistant

Maybe that's what I'll do for retirement. I bet it would be a home run.

Kinda like selling soda, you always need to make more.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have played Ringo's model. Extra long, John Blackwell and Peter Erskine. The Erskine model has a real small tip for the ride but like the change once in a while.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I'm not terribly picky about sticks and use either Vater or Vic Firth 5A, 5B, & 7A buttends (I almost randomly pick which ones I'll be playing at any given sitting - they're several pairs of each in my stick bag). As long as they're wood-tipped and hickory, I'm good to go.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
The first signature stick I loved using was a rather heavy model of the Dave Weckle wood tips (before I even knew who he was). After that I became a Mike Portnoy fan and used his sticks simply because they had his name on them. After several years of using regular 5A's/B's I started using the Todd Sucherman stick (because they didn't splinter all over the place) and recently I decided a heavier stick was in order and I have been happily using the Thomas Lang Sig model for a while now. Those sticks are sexy. Yes, apparently sticks can be sexy...;)

-Jonathan

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'd like to see a stick company that custom makes sticks for the general public. You would have to buy like 1000 at a time, but you would get to pick every detail about the stick, the wood, the taper, the tip, the weight...
Excatly what I used to do in the 90's. Had to order 50 pairs from memory (100 sticks). I loved 'em. But it's still way cheaper than buying 50 pairs of "branded" sticks. To this day, I've never found a production pair of sticks with the same specs. Vater Fusion are pretty close (and what I use now for the most part), but my sigs had a thicker taper and slightly larger round tip........oh yeah, and my name, along with the band name on them.....very "pro like"!!
Sadly, I heard the guy who used to make mine necked himself several years ago.

They're about Larry, do a Google search....in fact, I've seen threads about it here on DW, with links to guys in the States who make them.

PaulBestDrummer

Tommy Igoe Vic Firth Signature Model

with permission from TheBestDrummerInTheWorld.com

Tommy Igoe is an excellent drummer and an even better teacher. I enthusiastically recommend his Groove Essentials and Great Hands for a Lifetime videos/books for any drummer.

As a drumstick connoisseur, I was curious to check out his signature drumstick from Vic Firth. In the press release, the stick is described as a “chameleon” with versatile applications. I took it on a dynamic rock gig to test it out against a couple others.
First, let’s stack it up next to a couple other sticks to give you some context:

Vic Firth American Classic 7A - .540” x 15 ½”
Vic Firth American Classic 5A - .565” x 16”
Vic Firth American Classic 5B - .595” x 16”
Vic Firth Tommy Igoe Sig. Model - .555” x16 1/8”

The Igoe is just a shade longer and thinner than your standard 5A or 5B. So I expected the stick to be lighter than normal. However, volume-wise, the Igoe bats well above its weight. This is undoubtedly due to its much-hyped “Taj Mahal” tip, and perhaps the extra 1/8” length. It is clearly louder, particularly on cymbals. So I’m surprised that this stick is touted as a “chameleon.” For me, this wasn’t true. It played and felt like a straight-up rock stick. And on the quiet tunes, it felt heavy.

My personal bias is for a stick that puts the weight in my hand. I have long arms, and long sticks put me even farther away from my kit, so I generally prefer nothing longer than 16”. I also find it hard to get long sticks to play dynamically. With its balance toward the tip, it generates remarkable volume for its size. I would encourage anyone who plays anything from a 7A to 5B to give it a try.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Check this company out:

http://customdrumsticks.biz

You don't have to order 1000.

You can get anything you want done.

These guys make my sticks, and I haven't even thought about trying other sticks since I started buying from them.
They now have the same wood supplier as Vic Firth and the wood looks beautiful.

Just passing it along.