Shure PGA98D Gooseneck Condenser Drum Mic Review

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I purchased one of these last week.
I liked it so much that I ordered 4 more of them.
The mic is comparable to an SM57 but it allows you to place it in tight areas around your kit. The PGA98D can also be slid into a standard mic holder for mic stand use. It performed well on my 16" tom but I recommend it for drums that are 14" and smaller. It wasn't overly "Hot" and I had no problem setting the levels on my mixer. It doesn't pick up too many high sounds as some condenser mic's do. It is well balanced and I had to make very little EQ adjustment when switching between the PGA98D and the SM57. If you look at the frequency response graphs on Shure's site and you compare the PGA98D to the SM57 you will see that both mics are close.
I couldn't hear any, "Hiss" from the PGA98D built in preamp either. It uses standard Phantom power as most condenser mics do. The gooseneck is smooth and it adjusts easily. The mic stays exactly where you set it until you move it. it doesn't move from the vibration of hard playing.
At $125 it is priced so that the average person can afford it. It is an overall really good performer for general mic-ing of musical instruments for both home recording and live performance.

Attachments

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
Thanx for writing this. I've been wondering about these mics and reviews are scarce so far.

You you happen to have some audio recorded yet?

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You're welcome KamaK, I will have some audio soon I have been busy and I haven't set up the interface. I also want to wait until the other mics arrive. I have been using headphones and my mixer to judge the sound.
I will post the audio here when I record it.

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Thanks for the review, Bob. I've been eyeing these, but when I look into my mic bag and see that collection of SM57s and the D6 BD mic, I have to remind myself that my next purchase will have to be overheads. I'm looking forward to the recordings, too. Could you try an experiment for me? Try miking the smaller drum shells instead of the head. I know it sounds like blasphemy, but I've been doing just that to my snare drum and 10 & 12" upper toms for several years now, and the tone produced is just to my liking - full of rich, warm tone. And yes, plenty of impact sound comes thru the mix. I still mic my floor toms at the heads.

GeeDeeEmm

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I will do some experimenting of mic-ing the shells. I have heard about this before somewhere and I am always open to trying new things.
It's going to take a few weeks for all of the mics to arrive because they were not in stock.
Sam Ash Direct gave me a discount for buying 4 mics at once after I contacted them.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I'm afraid of little mics now after a friend loaned me his AKG C418's, and my floor tom definitely overdrove one of them. I already have a set of SM57's and know those can handle the SPLs. Although I'm always looking to make this a lighter and easier proposition.

What I really need to do is add another AKG C214 to my other one, and just put them up as stereo overheads, and stick my one AKG D112 in front of my bass drum. Problem solved ;)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Do not fear the little mic my little friend :)
I agree that small mics are not suited for drums over 14". I am going to keep my full sized mics on my floor toms. I intend to use the tiny mics on the smaller drums of my 6 piece kit, and my snare where space is an issue.
I am happy to have found a quality mini mic for a reasonable price. I have been waiting to see a product like this for a long time.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Do not fear the little mic my little friend :)
I agree that small mics are not suited for drums over 14". I am going to keep my full sized mics on my floor toms. I intend to use the tiny mics on the smaller drums of my 6 piece kit, and my snare where space is an issue.
I am happy to have found a quality mini mic for a reasonable price. I have been waiting to see a product like this for a long time.
Yes. My friend has offered that I keep the mics for a while longer, and only use them on my snare and small rack tom. I'll probably continue to use the SM57 on the floor tom, or maybe go overkill and get something like the AKG P220 for the floor tom - if you're gonna go large, you might as well, go large, eh?

But I was so happy with my two mic set-up (AKG C214 overhead and the D112 in front of the bass drum), now that I'm making a serious attempt to mic individual drums, it just frustrates me when nothing goes right. I should've stopped listening to that KamaK guy!