Shuffle beat

pepe

Hi every one. I teach drums to kids ages 5 to 12 but when I teach them shuffles and give them examples many of them have told me to give modern examples besides the great classics showed here. Any suggestions on shuffle songs made after 2010? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi every one. I teach drums to kids ages 5 to 12 but when I teach them shuffles and give them examples many of them have told me to give modern examples besides the great classics showed here. Any suggestions on shuffle songs made before 2010? Thanks
Young kids probably don't know these either and these songs might be not everyone's taste but at least they were recored after 2000..

Those if you on Instagram. Check out .....

Scroll through his page and you’ll find all sorts of takes and variations on shuffles and fills in and around and between them. The guys single pedal footwork is insane and his page is full of pocket , chops and groove . Awesome player . Enjoy 👍🏻

moxman

Silver Member
Wow - shuffles draw a lot of comments - because they are so much fun to play!
Edit: as noted, after blasting out my ear drums .. I can now hear a feathered kick doing a double shuffle in the background

My favorite shuffle is the 'killer shuffle' .. kind of like lagrange except you drop out the snare shuffle on the 1 and 3. You can play the shuffle pattern with the left really fast that way and it sounds like a double shuffle. You have to make sure you get the accents right on the pullout stroke and the control stroke to make it cook.. a bit louder than ghost notes and accenting the 2 and 4. Hills and valleys!
The pull out stroke is the one of the coolest things.. Jim Chapin described it as touching your hand on a hot stove - you 'pull' the stroke away (like 'Ow!') and whip the stick down on the backbeat.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Frank is shuffling the kick in LaGrange. I don't hear quarter note bass drum in the recording and have always played it with a shuffle on the kick, otherwise I would have had the song down much sooner!

Watch the bass drum head @ 3:59

You can really hear the kick here.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I love shuffles, you don't hear them anymore, guess you can't programme them on superior drummer ;)

Reeling In The Years is a good way to get into them, it's about as straight a shuffle as there is but still has great feel. When you're feeling brave go for the half time shuffle, Youtube Bernard Purdie, he's got a drumeo lesson on how to shuffle. He's that laid back he's horizontal.

The shuffle is like a Bob Ross tree, it's a happy little groove.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Pretty sure Frank is shuffling the kick in LaGrange. I don't hear quarter note bass drum in the recording and have always played it with a shuffle on the kick, otherwise I would have had the song down much sooner!

Indeed. Every sheet music version I’ve seen online has the shuffle in the kick too. Not that it makes a difference to the audience. But I definitely shuffle the kick when I practice.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

On the original recording, I'm sticking to quarters ride/quarters bass drum/shuffle snare.

What he plays live...I wasn't referring to that, I'm talking about the original studio recording. It's clear that Frank is shuffling the bass at least some of the time live, like you pointed out.

Dusty does the full shuffle pattern with his right hand on the bass guitar, and IMO, creates the aural illusion that the bass drum is shuffling, when it's not. On the original. That's the badassest part for me.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
There's some great shuffleology in this thread !

I find that when playing with the band, the faster the shuffle, the easier it is to play. As the shuffle gets really fast you can drop out some of the ghost notes and it flows just fine. In other words you can play a shortened version of the full shuffle.

The problem I have is with very slow shuffles. Like at 60 BPM. There is so much space between the hits that it's difficult to keep a really steady beat. (Especially playing with other musicians that don't have a real good sense of time.) So I like to spend time practicing with a metronome shuffling at very low tempos. That's my challenge.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
There's some great shuffleology in this thread !

I find that when playing with the band, the faster the shuffle, the easier it is to play. As the shuffle gets really fast you can drop out some of the ghost notes and it flows just fine. In other words you can play a shortened version of the full shuffle.

The problem I have is with very slow shuffles. Like at 60 BPM. There is so much space between the hits that it's difficult to keep a really steady beat. (Especially playing with other musicians that don't have a real good sense of time.) So I like to spend time practicing with a metronome shuffling at very low tempos. That's my challenge.

On the really slow shuffles, a full triplet hi hat pattern can make it seem easier to play. YMMV.

You must have done this.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like to move the shuffle around. It's not something that comes up much in metal, but I do enjoy playing it.

By move it around I mean switch the part of the kit that does the shuffling. Quarters on ride, shuffle between the kick and snare. K kS sK kS sK kS sK kS. Now make it R rS sR rS sR rS sR rS. Now R rK kR rK kR rK kR rK. You get the idea.

Or I may switch between the 3. Shuffle the ride for 4 measures, then the kick, then the snare. Wash and repeat.

It's mostly just exercises for me. I'm not the sit back and shuffle for an hour guy. I don't play that stuff. But I'm happy to report that if I had to I could. The shuffle just feels good to play. Even for a metalhead.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
On the really slow shuffles, a full triplet hi hat pattern can make it seem easier to play. YMMV.

You must have done this.
Right on. Good idea.
I have done the triplet thing on my ride, so that it won't sound too obvious. I think I'll try it on my hats. It might actually add to the song and help the rest of the band stay on tempo. Hummmm..........

Thanks

On the original recording, I'm sticking to quarters ride/quarters bass drum/shuffle snare.

What he plays live...I wasn't referring to that, I'm talking about the original studio recording. It's clear that Frank is shuffling the bass at least some of the time live, like you pointed out.

Dusty does the full shuffle pattern with his right hand on the bass guitar, and IMO, creates the aural illusion that the bass drum is shuffling, when it's not. On the original. That's the badassest part for me.
That's cool. I hear quarters ride/shuffle bass drum/shuffle snare on the original recording. The live videos were just to show how he plays it, and seeing as there was 30 years in between those shows I'm willing to say this is the way he has always played it, studio and all.

But like PPS said the audience won't notice. The beauty is either way will make them dance!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That's cool. I hear quarters ride/shuffle bass drum/shuffle snare on the original recording. The live videos were just to show how he plays it, and seeing as there was 30 years in between those shows I'm willing to say this is the way he has always played it, studio and all.

But like PPS said the audience won't notice. The beauty is either way will make them dance!
Oh wow. Maybe I should give it a fresh listen.

Last edited:

moxman

Silver Member
Holy moly .. I put on headphones and had to crank it waaay up.. but I can hear a 'barely audible' kick feathering a double shuffle in the background. All these years I've only heard the 1/4s.. and even when learning it - I cranked it up and only heard 1/4s.. so now I'm deaf and can hear it!
It still sounds like the 1/4s are accented a bit, but the doubles give it a bit more feel. Dang now I have to play more notes!

On the live versions posted I'm hearing different beats;
- the first sounds like either double kick or 2 fast single kick 16ths before the backbeat.
- the second one sounds more like a 'boom-tah-ba-boom-tah' kind of pattern. I throw this one in myself when I play it but not for the whole song.

The other thing I like doing with shuffles is sometimes throwing in a 'flat tire' shuffle - almost using it like a fill or for builds etc.

Last edited:

Rock Salad

That is a hard one! Dynamics between notes on the bass is a super cool skill to work. Then it gets a step more difficult with the band joining in, since they cover up the feathered K hits.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Holy moly .. I put on headphones and had to crank it waaay up.. but I can hear a 'barely audible' kick feathering a double shuffle in the background. All these years I've only heard the 1/4s.. and even when learning it - I cranked it up and only heard 1/4s.. so now I'm deaf and can hear it!
But it still sounds like 1/4s in terms of the where the main accent is.
Have I been doing it wrong all these years? Ack! Is it possible that he is switching between the two patterns? Or is his feather that much of a difference in volume?

You know a guy really feels the shuffle deeply when he can give the shuffled kick drum a dynamic pulse instead of both hits the same volume...throughout the entire song.

I love publicly putting my foot in my mouth, it's what gets me up in the morning.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I like Jeff Porcaro's shuffle video showing how different players would accent the shuffle. I always practice shuffles leading with both hands. I initially just learned it one way and I'd just take my normal shuffle- snare left and right hats or cymbal and move so my left to hats/ride and right do snare (so the same shuffle pattern just move to different elements. It's cheating I know but a heck of lot easier and natural. But I hate cheaters so I do both and I still stutter with opposite at times-so I keep practicing. Another sticky winky is loudness of grace notes-suppose to be ghost/grace and too loud is obnoxious-takes some practice. Once the ambidexterity comes and different accents it's really a nice tool to have in the tool box-at least that's my hope when I get there LOL.
P.S. Larry welcome to the club.