Show your wood

Here my Luka TRUE SOLID 14x6 handmade in Canada from an old Sugar tree

luka-true-solid-1540019.jpg

luka-true-solid.jpg

luka-true-solid-1540014.jpg

No. Freaking. Way. That's just incredibly beautiful. Heck, leave the bark ON the next one! You want a natural finish? It doesn't get much more natural than that, bark included!

What's up with the drum in the background in the top photo? Two DIFFERENT sized heads? What up with that? You don't see that every day, at least on Western drums. Ethnic drums, yes, pretty common.

No. Freaking. Way. That's just incredibly beautiful. Heck, leave the bark ON the next one! You want a natural finish? It doesn't get much more natural than that, bark included!

What's up with the drum in the background in the top photo? Two DIFFERENT sized heads? What up with that? You don't see that every day, at least on Western drums. Ethnic drums, yes, pretty common.

This one ? : A very special snare, check here :

http://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/not-so-modern-drummer/drums-of-the-month/custom/luka-solid-bock-sugar-maple-snare-drum

LP-0515_01.jpg

Too cool! What's it like inside? What does this do to the sound? Any clips? I didn't find anything about this remarkable drum on your website.

By the way, I own a true solid shell kit as well and you are one of the very few makers of these. Thank you for keeping alive the most ancient construction method in an age of mass-produced wood-composite drums. True solid shell kids are exceedingly rare and nothing compares to the sound of a drum made with wood exactly as it existed in the living tree. No processing, fillers, glue, warping or bending. Just. The. Wood.

I'd be honored if you visited the link below and gave an assessment of my solid-shell kit.

Rogers XP8's the last of the GREAT Rogers drumkits. 69 Dynasonic also.

Keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Attachments

• XP8_1.jpg
    XP8_1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 506
  • XP8_2.jpg
    XP8_2.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 499
  • XP8_3.jpg
    XP8_3.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 499
Too cool! What's it like inside? What does this do to the sound? Any clips? I didn't find anything about this remarkable drum on your website.

By the way, I own a true solid shell kit as well and you are one of the very few makers of these. Thank you for keeping alive the most ancient construction method in an age of mass-produced wood-composite drums. True solid shell kids are exceedingly rare and nothing compares to the sound of a drum made with wood exactly as it existed in the living tree. No processing, fillers, glue, warping or bending. Just. The. Wood.

I'd be honored if you visited the link below and gave an assessment of my solid-shell kit.

I agree, True Solid drums are unique with an incredible and very warm sound.
Thanks to Luka Drums who is making only True Solid shells.
I'll get to see your link with a great pleasure.

You can see a great video of classic Luka True solid snare here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxeSLWmSYY

Have fun amigo :)

5x14 Zebrano stave snare I finished last year.

Attachments

• my 5x14 zebrano stave snare .jpg
    my 5x14 zebrano stave snare .jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 345
Cool drums, guys,,,,,......

A few more (Craviotto steam bent: Mahogany, Beech/Birdseye, Black Cherry, Johnny C Maple, Black Cherry/Maple, Walnut; Unix segment Walnut/Maple; Noble and Cooley SS Red Oak)

Attachments

• 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Wow, I can't touch some of these guys' collections but I do have a "be it ever so humble" 2004 DW collectors solid single ply steam bent maple 5.5x14. It's modified a bit what with a Gibraltar/Dunnett throw and an Ahead S-hoop on the batter side. It's my go to snare and I'll never sell it.

Attachments

• 023a.jpg
    023a.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Wow, I can't touch some of these guys' collections but I do have a "be it ever so humble" 2004 DW collectors solid single ply steam bent maple 5.5x14. It's modified a bit what with a Gibraltar/Dunnett throw and an Ahead S-hoop on the batter side. It's my go to snare and I'll never sell it.
gorgeous drum, Jimi. .........

A few more (Craviotto steam bent: Mahogany, Beech/Birdseye, Black Cherry, Johnny C Maple, Black Cherry/Maple, Walnut; Unix segment Walnut/Maple; Noble and Cooley SS Red Oak)

Thunder, How does the double inlay Mahogany sound?

Very nice. Quality modifications.

Holy Craviotto Batman!

Beautiful collection Thunder!

Thunder, How does the double inlay Mahogany sound?

Warm and clear. 30 degree edges, 8" deep - tone is great in all ranges. Not what one might expect for a deep snare - I'd characterize as toasty, with a light coat of butter and fresh raspberry jam...

Back