Show your wood

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Here my Luka TRUE SOLID 14x6 handmade in Canada from an old Sugar tree

No. Freaking. Way. That's just incredibly beautiful. Heck, leave the bark ON the next one! You want a natural finish? It doesn't get much more natural than that, bark included!

What's up with the drum in the background in the top photo? Two DIFFERENT sized heads? What up with that? You don't see that every day, at least on Western drums. Ethnic drums, yes, pretty common.

daniboun

No. Freaking. Way. That's just incredibly beautiful. Heck, leave the bark ON the next one! You want a natural finish? It doesn't get much more natural than that, bark included!

What's up with the drum in the background in the top photo? Two DIFFERENT sized heads? What up with that? You don't see that every day, at least on Western drums. Ethnic drums, yes, pretty common.
This one ? : A very special snare, check here :

http://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/not-so-modern-drummer/drums-of-the-month/custom/luka-solid-bock-sugar-maple-snare-drum

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Too cool! What's it like inside? What does this do to the sound? Any clips? I didn't find anything about this remarkable drum on your website.

By the way, I own a true solid shell kit as well and you are one of the very few makers of these. Thank you for keeping alive the most ancient construction method in an age of mass-produced wood-composite drums. True solid shell kids are exceedingly rare and nothing compares to the sound of a drum made with wood exactly as it existed in the living tree. No processing, fillers, glue, warping or bending. Just. The. Wood.

I'd be honored if you visited the link below and gave an assessment of my solid-shell kit.

daniboun

Too cool! What's it like inside? What does this do to the sound? Any clips? I didn't find anything about this remarkable drum on your website.

By the way, I own a true solid shell kit as well and you are one of the very few makers of these. Thank you for keeping alive the most ancient construction method in an age of mass-produced wood-composite drums. True solid shell kids are exceedingly rare and nothing compares to the sound of a drum made with wood exactly as it existed in the living tree. No processing, fillers, glue, warping or bending. Just. The. Wood.

I'd be honored if you visited the link below and gave an assessment of my solid-shell kit.
I agree, True Solid drums are unique with an incredible and very warm sound.
Thanks to Luka Drums who is making only True Solid shells.
I'll get to see your link with a great pleasure.

You can see a great video of classic Luka True solid snare here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxeSLWmSYY

Have fun amigo :)

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Cool drums, guys,,,,,......

A few more (Craviotto steam bent: Mahogany, Beech/Birdseye, Black Cherry, Johnny C Maple, Black Cherry/Maple, Walnut; Unix segment Walnut/Maple; Noble and Cooley SS Red Oak)

Attachments

Last edited:

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Wow, I can't touch some of these guys' collections but I do have a "be it ever so humble" 2004 DW collectors solid single ply steam bent maple 5.5x14. It's modified a bit what with a Gibraltar/Dunnett throw and an Ahead S-hoop on the batter side. It's my go to snare and I'll never sell it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Wow, I can't touch some of these guys' collections but I do have a "be it ever so humble" 2004 DW collectors solid single ply steam bent maple 5.5x14. It's modified a bit what with a Gibraltar/Dunnett throw and an Ahead S-hoop on the batter side. It's my go to snare and I'll never sell it.
gorgeous drum, Jimi. .........

R2112

Silver Member
Very nice. Quality modifications.

R2112

Silver Member
Cool drums, guys,,,,,......

A few more (Craviotto steam bent: Mahogany, Beech/Birdseye, Black Cherry, Johnny C Maple, Black Cherry/Maple, Walnut; Unix segment Walnut/Maple; Noble and Cooley SS Red Oak)
Holy Craviotto Batman!

Beautiful collection Thunder!