Show your wood

uniongoon

Gold Member
I guess I should be posting my newly acquired Whitney Drums nesting kit on their Virgin gig.
Those are pretty cool looking. Hard to tell from the overhead picture, is the outer shell Birdseye Maple, or some type of composite?

I like your vintage drums too John Wesley. Leaving the shoulder strap on is a nice touch.

uniongoon

Gold Member
Built in 1987 and sent back to be restored at the N&C factory in 2014. Steambent maple shell with re-rings and die cast hoops. One of my all time favorite snares, it has a great dynamic range.
Those are great sounding snares. Back around 1992 one of my adult students wanted to buy a "best snare ever". He had a good budget, enough to afford most if not any snares in stock at Just Drums in Toronto. We played about 40 drums and the 14X6 1/2" Noble and Cooley steam bent maple was the best of the bunch that day.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I guess I should be posting my newly acquired Whitney Drums nesting kit on their Virgin gig.
Beautiful classy white drums! Are they bleached? Does anyone even do that to wood? Seems like you could get some neat patterns to emerge from bleaching/removing color, especially with a darker set.

dzarren

Obelisk drums. Natural Maple. Super early serial numbers.
Maple gets much darker over time. The lacquer on these drums display a serious amount of cracking. Lighting is horrible.

The bass drum beaters are natural wood too, so obviously I had to include those.

sacco

I already posted some pictures of this kit here and there (and even in this thread!), and I am still thinking of opening a thread about it but ... Anyway, now I have at least a couple of decent iPhone pictures of it, so here they are: Tamburo Original stave set, 1991. The wood is African Mutenye, except for the snare, which is maple (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42160). Hardware is mostly Yamaha, and cymbals are old and new Zildjian K.

Attachments

Last edited:

daniboun

I already posted some pictures of this kit here and there (and even in this thread!), and I am still thinking of opening a thread about it but ... Anyway, now I have at least a couple of decent iPhone pictures of it, so here they are: Tamburo Original stave set, 1991. The wood is African Mutenye, except for the snare, which is maple (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42160). Hardware is mostly Yamaha, and cymbals are old and new Zildjian K.
Hi Sacco ! nice to hear from you again, that Tamburo Original is a pure beauty :)
Where are you from exactly ?

sacco

Hi Sacco ! nice to hear from you again, that Tamburo Original is a pure beauty :)
Where are you from exactly ?
Hi daniboun, thanks for the kind words, I know you are a Tamburo fan! Concerning your question: I am Italian, from Bergamo, but I live in Switzerland.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Obelisk drums. Natural Maple. Super early serial numbers.
Maple gets much darker over time. The lacquer on these drums display a serious amount of cracking. Lighting is horrible.

The bass drum beaters are natural wood too, so obviously I had to include those.

Awesome attention to detail. Not many people will know or appreciate the wood beaters matching the shells, and all natural. But I can totally dig it.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Pretty good man! How are things up North?
Hey, things are OK up here. The snow is just about melted off, and we may actually make it to Spring! lol Plus, I just auditioned for a band this evening, so that's good, too.

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, featuring wood, lol!)