Show your Practice Pad, Please post pics

Badman_batman

I was in the middle of some diddles and thought WOW my pads looking a little new, im gonna have to put some miles on it and it got me thinking about how heavily some must be used.

Is your falling apart, got a hole like the grand canyon ? Is it really old ?

Would love to check out how much you guys use your pads over your kits so post me some pictures and show off your used and abused

I use 2 DW Go Anywhere kits. I have tin covers over the cymbal pads to give just a little "ding". Late at night, I take off the tins to keep the peace.

I've since added my spare DW9000 pedal to practice double bass.

I will say this about practice pads, I used to spend a lot of time on them. I mean, they're right next to me this moment. I would learn some diddle strokes, licks that required bounces and grooves. Problem is that when I went to my acoustic kit, it was a very different feel AND BOUNCE. That's what you get with rubber I suppose - more of a bounce than your drumheads.

But still...they are fantastic when you have to be quiet or late at night and you want to go over some sticking. I have one under my seat in my car. I take it out when I'm waiting to pick up my kids from somewhere. I just don't rely on them as much as I used to.

I made some custom mutes with rubber/foam drum mutes glued to thin pieces of wood. Typically, mute pads have very little bounce. But the thin wood underneath gives them a bounce pretty close to the drum head. They work like a charm and I place all 7 on the kit.

Attachments

• DW Practice COPY.jpg
    DW Practice COPY.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 4,218
This is all I got for a practice pad. I just got it in December to practice rudiments with.
practicepad.jpg

IMG_20120102_220045.jpg

IMG_20111210_143645.jpg

Sorry for the mondo pics, forgot to resize.

That's the quiet side of my Vic Firth Slimpad..all time favorite pad.

And my custom bass pad. It has styrofoam/duct tape as the head now.

I have several pads around, but my main two setups are these...

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

My drum teacher has been using the same pad for 20+ years. It's been doodled on by him and hundreds of kids. It's just sort of a grey color with whatever happens to be on top at the moment as the only thing legible.

Right now the only thing you can read is "Think DUTS...Even"
AlPad.jpg

Here is his basement where I spend as much time as I can afford.

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

May as well introduce myself too.

Attachments

• Drums 025.JPG
    Drums 025.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,675
  • stuff 120711 007.JPG
    stuff 120711 007.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,675
I don't have pics, but for years I used the Remo 10" practice pad, but have recently switched to the Vic Firth double sided pad. I love it!

I'd rather play my drums, of course, but...
I don't play double pedal at the kit but it's helping me keep my left foot more involved - so to speak. I bolted the pad to an old Tame throne base .

Attachments

• 100_3740.jpeg
    100_3740.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,731
Here's mine ! ;)

For those who have it, thanks so much! Do YOU P4???

Attachments

• P4.jpg
    P4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,588
Here's mine ! ;)

For those who have it, thanks so much! Do YOU P4???

I definitely P4...those who do know....those who dont should

...and not to sound like a commercial for Pat Petrillo....but there is no better work for your hands than learning the solos in the Hands, Grooves, and Fills book and spreading them around your P4

the most fun you could possibly have while not sitting behind a drum kit

I cant stop playing "Combo Solo II on a roll" and dropping some accents around the pad ......too much fun

the drumming community is lucky to have a guy like Pat

THANKS MOON! I would love to see a video of it! Do you find the mp3's helpful to learn the solos?

Will be out there in March..Hope to hook up!
Pat

375505_10150580447015348_532580347_10967324_1743321478_n.jpg

I have two SoundOffs on the hi-hat (bottom and top) to eliminate ring from the bottom one.
Love the HQs!

THANKS MOON! I would love to see a video of it! Do you find the mp3's helpful to learn the solos?

Will be out there in March..Hope to hook up!
Pat

I find them very helpful ......I use them as kind of a check your work type thing.....when Im slightly confused about how one of the short hands goes into another they help greatly.....

I love how the 6 stroke rolls are sextuplets....Ive always found that rudiment to work much better in that subdivision

Won this Pad from Danny Gottlieb at his clinic in Montgomery, Alabama as a door prize back in 1995.

Attachments

• rsz_3pad.jpg
    rsz_3pad.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 1,565
Moon,
why so many pads? ;-) I don't see a Moongel (mine is blue - they might have looked differently in the past.)

I'd see a logic in having one pad per room, and at least 3 pads for variety and to simulate getting around a kit. But 20 or something? Wow...
The P4 does look quite intriguing.

Moon,
why so many pads? ;-) I don't see a Moongel (mine is blue - they might have looked differently in the past.)

I'd see a logic in having one pad per room, and at least 3 pads for variety and to simulate getting around a kit. But 20 or something? Wow...
The P4 does look quite intriguing.

thats not even all of them ...hahahaha...I left out 3 or 4 because they were in a room where my wife was working when I took the pic

just acquired them over the years ....use most of them for teaching.....and have one or two in every room in my house ready to be used if I feel inspired... :)

yup even the bathroom

I do have a moongel pad ...I think its in an old cymbal bag at my studio with the old remo pad.....

and yeah...the P4 is fantastic

Back