Show us your tiny kits

I knew I recognized the style. Peter, I'm a long time admirer of your innovative mini kits. I first saw your setups on cocktaildrum.com. If you have time, I'd love for you to check out my site and tell me what you think.

compactdrums.com

Hi,Thanks alot for your kind words! sure..i will check out your Compactdrum site.
Peter(wonder1)

Hi!
just spend 1 day for this Tiny bass drum project.Using those left over 12"(w)x10"(L) pvc sewer pipe.managed to found a 7" Bongo head with hook(no shell).This's what i come out.The 12" snare shell also made from 12" pvc sewer pipe too.I want something odd & cool.Just add a 6" head & mini-hat on the 12" snare shell.I use this drum-kit mainly for short & low volume dinner gigs.I don't use drum stick. prefer monster brushes(normally use for Cajon)it sound like 10" snare. kick's sound is punchy & tight..no really low..but mid-tone(very easy for EQ!).
wonder1

Hi!
just spend 1 day for this Tiny bass drum project.Using those left over 12"(w)x10"(L) pvc sewer pipe.managed to found a 7" Bongo head with hook(no shell).This's what i come out.The 12" snare shell also made from 12" pvc sewer pipe too.I want something odd & cool.Just add a 6" head & mini-hat on the 12" snare shell.I use this drum-kit mainly for short & low volume dinner gigs.I don't use drum stick. prefer monster brushes(normally use for Cajon)it sound like 10" snare. kick's sound is punchy & tight..no really low..but mid-tone(very easy for EQ!).
wonder1

That's beautiful!Neat how you made it out of found and salvaged materials. I don't understand what the pedal beater is hitting, though - what's goin on there?

Here's my suitcase kit:
Ludwig Acrolite 14" snare
Wuhan 12" splash
Unknown "flying saucer" hats
Sears Travelmaster

All packs into the suitcase except throne and hh stand.

33150592796_06049a4f0c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my suitcase kit:
Ludwig Acrolite 14" snare
Wuhan 12" splash
Unknown "flying saucer" hats
Sears Travelmaster

All packs into the suitcase except throne and hh stand.

33150592796_06049a4f0c_c.jpg

That's incredible, I love the avocado-colored suitcase.

I have almost everything else I'd need to put one of these together. You, sir, are an inspiration.

Wow, I know this is an old thread, and now that I've opened it I remember it, but BOY, did I misread the title this time! :O ^^

That's incredible, I love the avocado-colored suitcase.

I have almost everything else I'd need to put one of these together. You, sir, are an inspiration.
Thanks!
I think a couple others in this thread have done it even better. Mine was very simple tho.

Thanks!
I think a couple others in this thread have done it even better. Mine was very simple tho.

My band wants to drive to gigs in my old BMW station wagon, which means I'll need to simplify quite a bit, hahaha. What a great idea this suitcase kit is!

My band wants to drive to gigs in my old BMW station wagon, which means I'll need to simplify quite a bit, hahaha. What a great idea this suitcase kit is!
The suitcase idea has been around for some time. Its important to knock on various suitcases to find one that has a decent kick tone. They vary wildly.

Once I used this as a bass drum: Pearl Eliminator pedal bag/case. I fastened it to a little wood frame that a kick pedal attached to. Its very quiet, but the thump when mic'd was really excellent and the sound guy was amazed. We opened for Catie Curtis and she had me come up and play with her for the last few songs of her set!

EPB-1.jpg

I traded an almost new Yamaha Stage Custom Fusion 5-piece for this little 12 year old Sonor Jungle, Force 3005 Maple 3-piece. I would not have chosen it, but I do prefer it to the louder, more rock'n'roll, Yams.

Attachments

• sonor.jpg
    sonor.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,709
There are some really cool kits and pics on this thread!!!

Here's my new tiny kit I put together for small blues or jazz jams and gigs.

My hearing has slowly deteriorated, so I'm just using very lite 7A-type sticks and brushes. Playing softly with acoustic musicians, or if an amp guitar they're playing the best notes (BB King style) not the most notes. No shredding allowed. So my fills are pretty simple on snare.

The kick is a very interesting drum. It is from Farmer Drums. They use Keller shells. It's a 20x8. It has a very full musical sound. No ringing at all. I have it tuned pretty high. I tried similar bass from Side Kick Drums but had issues with lugs (too short snare lugs that don't work for a bass drum).

The snare is a N&C CD Maple 14x4.5. The maple wood grain is a lot more prominent than the stock photos of this drum on retailer web sites. I am very pleased with the look. This snare sounds amazing. It's full of "snare" sound. I have reso head tuned to a medium tightness, and batter tuned higher. The snares are on loose side. I get a trashy-bluesy sound that way. No ringing. Perfect.

The cymbals are Dream Bliss. A 17" crash-ride so it does double-duty, and 14" hi-hats.

Only things I might add are a true ride cymbal, and maybe one smallish tom. If I do add a tom, not sure if it would be a small floor or small rack. A rack is easier to play coming off snare I think, but floor gives better sound distinction from snare. But then does it differentiate enough from kick?? Do I need a tom at all??? Decisions and equipment. Oh my!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,565
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,542
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,537
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,537
That kit looks great, Rattlin'!! I love the small, simple kits - I play a two piece myself, but a larger bass drum (20 x 16), and currently only a single cymbal, no hats (playing Leon Parker style). Though times I do miss the hats, but more so for foot patterns. I've been thinking about trying the newer DW Lowboy and see how that goes.

I've been curious about the Farmer Drums. I have been looking at both them and the Side Kick shallower bass drums - but now that I have a confirmation on the Sidekick I might just look more into the Farmer. I believe the Farmer bass drums are a bit more than the Sidekick (?) so perhaps better quality is more noticeable.

Farmer is the same price.

Farmer finishes the inside of shells. too.

Farmer uses better lugs and hardware.

Farmer uses lugs made for bass drum (Side Kick uses snare lugs which are too short and thus cause splay).

Farmer takes time to sand and finish bearing edges. The Side Kick bearings were rough.

Both companies use Keller shells.

Farmer only uses Aquarian heads. Their beater head options are outstanding. But I do wish they had a Remo option; I prefer Remo reso heads.

Farmer pre-installs rubber hoop protectors top and bottom to avoid damage from kick pedal.

Farmer uses leather gaskets under their lugs.

I prefer the finish on Farmer shells. Hoops are glossy and sanded. Kick shell has a deep multi-layer finish that really shines!

Farmer tunes up well. I have it tuned pretty high and tight. Great sound very musical. But so did Side Kick, except Side Kick started stripping the tension rods because of the extreme splay; the receivers could not rotate enough to compensate.

The Side Kick hooks don't fully engage the hoop because of the splay.

The Side Kick hooks contact the back of hoops and put dents in them. In time I suspect the hoops might even crack.

To their credit, Side Kick sent me a set of gaskets for the snare lugs. They're about as thick as a credit card, maybe just a little thinner. They are not thick enough to remedy splay. Only remedy is to use bass drum lugs. Doesn't seem like much of a big deal to do that; they're a small shop so it's not like they gotta retool a production assembly line.

Side Kick has no badge.

I attached a few pics of the Side Kick. You can see for yourself.

The folks at Side Kick are nice guys, but this particular product has issues. It's the way they make them so I can't really return it just because I don't like the way it's made. Their other products may not have issues. I can't say, I just tried the 20x8 kick.

I have a 8 year old grandson, I may use the Side Kick to put together a small kit for him for Christmas. But for my playing, the Farmer was a great choice!!

That kit looks great, Rattlin'!! I love the small, simple kits - I play a two piece myself, but a larger bass drum (20 x 16), and currently only a single cymbal, no hats (playing Leon Parker style). Though times I do miss the hats, but more so for foot patterns. I've been thinking about trying the newer DW Lowboy and see how that goes.

I've been curious about the Farmer Drums. I have been looking at both them and the Side Kick shallower bass drums - but now that I have a confirmation on the Sidekick I might just look more into the Farmer. I believe the Farmer bass drums are a bit more than the Sidekick (?) so perhaps better quality is more noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,530
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,584
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,526
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,523
Last edited:
I found an old photo (Aug. 1966) of me playing on a 3pc. Simple time, eighth note fills. Decided why not. So I set up another and started playing it. What a blast.

btw - if you peek in the bass drum hole you'll see a Shu mic mount. That thing is really cool.

tiny kit for dw.jpg

My TJS Custom Maple drums are relatively small. The bass drum is the most shallow I've ever played [20x12]

The picture below shows everything, including the 13" snare, 10" snare, 10" floating tom, and 13" floor tom.

FISSnsr.jpg

Good to see this thread still alive. I've been on the hunt for either a 24 x 12 or a 26 x 12 bass drum - however I would also opt for a 10" depth. Of course to go along with nothing else but my snare drum. Wood block, cow bell, small crash, and small China as well - I've been playing ragtime and Dixieland as of late :)

Back